Quantcast
Doom3 Comments Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom3 Comments Thread

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by Khyron

You might have a abnormally beefy system but the average 128M card should be medium. Most GF4s (like the 4200 TI, 4600 TI etc) are not DX9 compliant.

I just might have to buy an ATI just for the extra effects, though even low setting is good looking.

Khyron

That maybe true, but i think he is talking about 128mb DX9 cards!

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Out of curiousity, what are you guys getting on the timedemo?

To open console: CTRL + ALT + ~
    Then type: timedemo demo1

I tested mine at 1280 X 1024 @ high quality -- NO AA and NO AF.

I am actually quite disappointed with D3 -- too much hype, Far Cry was just as impressive (plus it had massive environments) and it was released months ago.

Half-Life 2 and STALKER will destroy Doom3.
    Last edited by awd; 08-04-2004 at 09:54 AM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by legendboy

That maybe true, but i think he is talking about 128mb DX9 cards!
    Not to beat a horse, but the comment was that most 128M cards are DX9 - I was pointing out that there are still a lot of 128 cards that are not. Turns out the only feature you lose is the heat haze, so not worth upgrading just for that.

Looks like the game runs well even on older hardware - min specs are a GF4 MX, on a P4 1.5 or so with 384 m ram and according to the reviewers, it still looks good (ie a playable min requirement as opposed to a "it will run, but be unplayable" min requirement).

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Originally posted by Khyron

Not to beat a horse, but the comment was that most 128M cards are DX9 - I was pointing out that there are still a lot of 128 cards that are not. Turns out the only feature you lose is the heat haze, so not worth upgrading just for that.

Looks like the game runs well even on older hardware - min specs are a GF4 MX, on a P4 1.5 or so with 384 m ram and according to the reviewers, it still looks good (ie a playable min requirement as opposed to a "it will run, but be unplayable" min requirement).

Khyron
    Your right, many older generation cards, like the 4200 & 4600 are 128MB, but they also have very lower core/memory clock speeds and fill rates in comparison to the 9700, 9800, etc.

A friend of mine has a AMD 1800+, 768 MB PC 2100 DDR and a G4 4200 -- and Doom3 is virtually unplayable -- on the lowest settings. ID's claims of minimum system requirements are bunk.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

oic
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

doom 3 engine is capable of nicer graphics than half life 2
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride
    94' Volvo 850 T

Default ...

i dunno what most of you guys are talkin about.

My friend can play it on my old Geforce 3 Ti500, Granted its oc'd a
    bit, but most places its around 40fps on his system.

of course he is running 640x480 on low detail.. but you guys
    have to admit, even at that res and detail the game looks
    amazing.

the bump maps and lighting are so insane.

its either this or HL2 for game of the year, hands down.

we'll see what happens

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

bleh single player, its all about how good the multiplayer is....mmmmm quake one.

My Ride
    Model S

id games are typically eye candy I find. the graphics are amazing, but they have never really made an immersive game, its all about blowing up all the monsters in sight. im looking forward to halflife 2, graphics arent *quite* as good, but fun factor in valve games is definitely there, plus it has an awesome physics engine

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Besides the graphics, sound effects and the atmosphere that D3 creates, this game is actually extremely disappointing IMO.

One of the main features that is important to me in modern FPS is how you kill an enemy. Ostensibly, the D3 engine has "per polygon hit detection", yet, there hardly any difference in where you shot the monsters. It's disappointing to see there's no animations depending on where you shoot them. I think gameplay would be a lot better if you would be able to blow off a monster's leg and see it desperately crawl towards you. To be honest, I expected to see better enemy AI. What is even worse is that monster carasses disintergrates after taking a certain amount of damage, regardless of what weapon you are using. I could understand the plasma gun vaporizing a monster but it extremely retarded when you bash a carass a couple of times with your flashlight and it disintegrates.

The enivornment that D3 sets up is eerily creepy. The darkness makes you desperate and uneasy. Faint whispers and footsteps gives you goose bumps. However, after a few hours of play you get used to the ambient noises and the process of gunning down the same monsters over and over again becomes tedious. The only challenge is your attempt to differentiate all the oddly similar narrow corridors that you have to travel through. D3 is nothing more than a pretty tech demo and I'll continue to enjoying FarCry and wait for HL2.

To me, D3 is like a hot gold-diggin dumb girl. She's so pretty that you'll want her. You'll spend so much money just to get her going. But in the end, the most interesting conversation you two have had is about her telling you about how exciting shoe shopping is.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride

Originally posted by awd
    Out of curiousity, what are you guys getting on the timedemo?

To open console: CTRL + ALT + ~
    Then type: timedemo demo1

I tested mine at 1280 X 1024 @ high quality -- NO AA and NO AF.
    Ok:

Comp: P4 2.4 800 mhz, 1G dual chanel ddr, 7200 rpm drives, etc
    Vid: GF4 4200 TI

1024x768 Medium = 16.5 fps
    800x600 Medium = 22 fps
    640x480 Medium = 27.2

Of course the time demo looks a lot worse than actual game play, but as I am used to 50+ always, it's a hard pill to take.

Overclocking my 4200 to 275/535 (stock 250/460) got me an extra 1.7 fps on the 800x600. AA on hurts for about 3 fps.

Khyron

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

ok, I'm gonna try this game on my

PIII 800
    1024MB PC133RAM
    Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR

it runs Unreal tournament 2003 at full quality 1600x1200 without any choppiness or lag.
    See how it runs
    Travel

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Some of you have mentioned that you have gone out and picked up your copy... Now I was under the impression (fromt he title of the thread) that release was yesterday... yet I went to Futureshop today, and they still didn;t have it on there shelves... so where have you guys been picking up your copies... not that it matters, cuz the next time I get into the city, it will be out in stores...

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

I have a P4 3.0 with 2GB RAM and a 9800XT. I can probably run 1024x768 at High at 40-50FPS, and maybe Ultra at 800x600 at 25-30 or so. I don't want this game at all. The graphics are good, but on anything but the best system they are simply 'on-par' with Riddick and Halo 2.

Half Life, however, doesn't use the 'normal mapping' of the other 3 games. It uses the old, regular way of rendering and model styles but at unbelievable quality and it looks much more realistic. The people in D3 look cool, but not realistic. HL2 offers a much more compelling graphics system, physics system (the best, if you've seen the 25 minute E3 demo from last year) and real multiplayer. Probably more engaging singleplayer too.

The physics of HL2 are going to be a lot of fun to play with, probably boosting playing time to at least 3 times that of Doom. I still play Halo just to mess around and try to get to secret areas and levels with my friends, it's just fun. HL2 I can expect to put in over 100 hours.

Don't even get started on the AI, which is uncomparable between HL2 and D3. The only game that can compare to HL2 AI-wise is Halo 2, which will be a stunner in terms of NPC intelligence. Also, the guys developing HL2 like a good time and that showed in the HL2 demo at last year's E3. From the facial expression demo of the G-man to the stain glass portrait of Gordon, it was full of fun and excitement.

*HL advertisement mode over*

Anyway, if Half Life 2 comes out (expected 3 or so weeks before Duke Nukem Forever) I will definitely buy it.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

Athlon XP 2600+
    1GB DDR ram
    128mb GeForce 5600XT

I can run it on medium 800x600 with a little lag.
    This game scares the crap out of me...

My Ride
    2008 Honda Civic

its a pretty good game, i like how some parts make ya jump

Best game ive played in along time. It'll be interesting to see who will win Game of the Year, HL:2 or Doom3, i think HL2 will just cause it has more fan boys. The physics in the game are pretty much the only thing that sets hl2 apart from hl1. the character models look a bit better, but the textures of the walls, buildings, etc arent that detailed and fairly disappointing really.

doom3 creeps the fuck outta me, and i love it. only gripe is, like silver spec said, the shitty thing is the killing gets tedious, you fight imps and zombies throughout the entire game, thats about it. once in awhile the other monsters will make what seems to be "guest appereances" for like 1/2 a chapter, then after that you wont see em again for another 5 chapters.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

scary as fuck, most scariest game iv played...

stopid flash light. should have hid conversion.

i dont mind flashlight, makes you take your time so its not just "another shooter". your first instinct in this game when you see a monster isnt "fuck lets kill it" its "fuck lets run from it". i like that, a good game should invoke fear and the use of lighting in this is really appropriate. only thing i wish is that you coudl AT LEAST use your pistol with the flash light, that way youd put your pistol bullets to use in the later game
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride

The flashlight is cool, but it shouldn't be for the whole game. And don't the have duct tape in 2045? (tape the light to your helmet or at least under your shotgun).

Khyron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast