Quantcast
BIG speeding ticket - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BIG speeding ticket

My Ride
    xs11

Default BIG speeding ticket

I.ve read almost all the posts here about fighting speeding tickets, so here's my situation. Last month I was on my bike, heading south on Macleod Trail. Just past the 22x overpass, I had a momentary loss of insanity and decided to go for my absolute top speed ever on the same bike I've been riding for over 15 years. At about 180km/h and still accelerating, I see this motorcyclist in the northbound lane motioning me to shut it down. Unfotunately for me, it was too late, and just up the road is a motorcycle cop with a lazer on his bike, he was just standing in the middle of my lane, helmet off, waiting for me to join him in what was to be my worst nightmare. I calmly came to a stop where he was standing, and shut of the bike. He was so mad I thought he was going to punch me. He told me to give me my keys, and remove my helmet. Luckily, all my papers were in order, so the ticket writing part went pretty smoothly. I was super respectful to him, so he gave me back my keys, and a mandatory court appearance ticket for speeding at 183km/h in a posted 80km/h zone. In the square where it states the amount of the fine, he wrote 'court'. So i'm due to appear J.P. counter in a while,
    and I got a quote from Charlie at Pointts for just under $500. How should I go about fighting this ticket? Does it look favourable to the crown that my drivers abstact is clean? I fought a photo radar ticket last year and got it reduced to 60%, and the year before that I fought a speeding ticket and the cop failed to show.
    The guy at pointts said that I'm facing a possible suspention and a fine of over $750, of course, he wants my business, so any advise? links? books? I admit that I was wrong, but I'm not just going to roll over and play dead for this one.
    thanks,
    ken

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So what did Charlie say he can get it reduced to? You mentioned getting a suspension + big fine, what did pointts say the $500 get you?

My wife got dinged going 120 in a 50 zone when we first got the AMG (hehehe). Same deal as you, mandatory court appearance. Went to pointts, got reduced to 3 demerits and $500 fine.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    xs11

Default charlie @ pointts

He said that he could get it down to a 2 week suspention, and said nothing about a fine reduction that I can remember.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well the fine didn't get reduced for her. Just the suspension was reduced to a 3 demerit ticket.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I got a 187 in a 110 reduced to a fine (575) and demerits. Charlie did that one.
    Travel

My Ride
    xs11

I'm hoping to get the ticket changed to charged to registered owner, I'll pay the full fine, just don't want the insurance headache. Still got alot of reading to do, something about challenging the lazer, sound farmilliar anyone? I'd just love to take it to court and see if the cop pulls a no show- dare to dream!

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by kenethf
    I'm hoping to get the ticket changed to charged to registered owner, I'll pay the full fine, just don't want the insurance headache. Still got alot of reading to do, something about challenging the lazer, sound farmilliar anyone? I'd just love to take it to court and see if the cop pulls a no show- dare to dream!

ROFL.

a 183 in an 80 getting changed to an RO (just like a photo radar) hahahaha

Let me know how that works out for ya.
    Travel

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

For what its worth, laser is much harder to fight than radar as all the inaccuracies go out the door.

Put your faith in points - kinda pisses me off that you'll be in the same boat as a drunk driver. But you will be getting demerits.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    mx6

My bro got - 171 in 100, no laywer cost 975 ticket and a 45 day suspension. With surcharges it came to $1175 (in Ponoka).

Get a lawyer.

My Ride
    Taurus SHO, 6G72 Spyder

I would say use points or one of those. It may cost a bit more in the end, but the demerits/suspensions will hurt your insurance for a long time. It's as bad as a DUI as far as insurance goes, which may cost you dearly in comparison...

Does your insurance go sky high if you get a suspension?

Sounds like money is not a big issue, get a laywer and hope for the best.

Insane flying monkey defense?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    Does your insurance go sky high if you get a suspension?
    Yes.

Theres no difference between a 45 day and a 15 day suspension though in the eyes of insurance, so it might not be worth it to go to Pointts if they can only offer a reduction to 2 week suspension. Guess it depends if he really needs to drive.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

When you get a suspension, can you plead to be able to drive to and from work if you can show there's no public transit or other alternative?

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    xs11

Default demerits-good, suspention-bad

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. Looks like it's the suspention that I want to avoid. Will 3 or 4 demerits impact my insurance rate less than a suspention? Does anyone think it's possible to just not bargain at all and go for the full not guilty plea, and try to get it dismissed on a technicality? I'm trying to find some good case law examples, or arguments about the officers qualifications to operate his lazer radar equipment and /or proof that his machine was callibrated. I downloaded some info by a guy named Jeff Mulligan called BUSTED. He also has a book for sale that has some info on fighting lazer radar.
    I relly don't need to drive so badly that the suspension would destroy my life, it's the insurance hike that I'm having such a hard time with.

I know this isnt the right thing to do, but should have just kept going.

I had a same incident, me and 2 other buddies through radar at about 180. just blasted by and kept going. by the time the officer was on his bike, we were long gong. allthough this was in rural sw alberta.

i would go for points. i work for a insurance company. and we will eat you alive mwhahah

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: demerits-good, suspention-bad

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. Looks like it's the suspention that I want to avoid. Will 3 or 4 demerits impact my insurance rate less than a suspention?
    HUGE difference. A 3 or 4 demerit ticket might not even make ANY difference with insurance, some companies allow 1 ticket a year that's under 4 demerits.

A suspension is a serious one, as bad as drunk driving.

Does anyone think it's possible to just not bargain at all and go for the full not guilty plea, and try to get it dismissed on a technicality? I'm trying to find some good case law examples, or arguments about the officers qualifications to operate his lazer radar equipment and /or proof that his machine was callibrated. I downloaded some info by a guy named Jeff Mulligan called BUSTED. He also has a book for sale that has some info on fighting lazer radar.
    Good luck with that. Without a good traffic lawyer that can bargain for you, mandatory court appearance tickets pretty much always end in a suspension.

Originally posted by Dave P
    i work for a insurance company. and we will eat you alive mwhahah
    Hey Dave, how does the insurance company know you got a ticket or got suspended? Do they review your driver's abstract every year before renewing your policy?

A buddy got a huge speeding ticket many years ago but his insurance rate never went up. His reasoning was that insurance companies don't check your driving record on a regular basis so he slipped by undetected since he had a clean record previously. Maybe they only check drivers with poor records or only do random checks.

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Hey Dave, how does the insurance company know you got a ticket or got suspended? Do they review your driver's abstract every year before renewing your policy?

A buddy got a huge speeding ticket many years ago but his insurance rate never went up. His reasoning was that insurance companies don't check your driving record on a regular basis so he slipped by undetected since he had a clean record previously. Maybe they only check drivers with poor records or only do random checks.
    its different from company to company.

we pull a driver abstract every time you renew your insurance.
    but for companies that dont, and you lie and get caught, odds are your gonna be black listed and HELLO facility. which what ever you pay now. times by abuot 3.

although most companies will give you a freebie and let you have a free speeding cause there so common. but i dont think they do that for big ones

^^^ Thanks for the clarification.

My Ride
    AE86

Hey ken I put a word in with my dad, at A1 traffic ticket defence, what he said he would do is through him for $ 450 he would put you through a driving course and fight the ticket for you. HE says there no garuante that anyone can help because of the saverity of the ticket but in your case cause you do have a clean abstract and if you where to take the course that he would set you up with as a part of his fee he may beable to get you a reduced ticket. You can give him a call at 669-5111 His names ron, just say you talked to steve and he'll know, cause i already told him about your situation. Hopefully that helps you out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast