Quantcast
Anyone else having ADSL troubles? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having ADSL troubles?

My Ride
    Honda

Default Anyone else having ADSL troubles?

This internet is the worst I've ever seen! I was better off with my 33k modem back in 1996....
    Why does it only go fast for a certain few hours of the day? During most time, it moves so slowly I don't even bother with it. My ping in Counter strike has been over 800 for the last few days, while it is supposed to run at a ping of 80...

I've already written Telus to ask if something is wrong, does anybody else have this problem?

yes adsl sucks.

sorry benny...but the one that i'm using does! it goes down once every month!
    Originally posted by ashee
    What's 30 grand when you're buying a BMW, M6 please.

Originally posted by t-im

You sound like the type of guy who would buy a C-Class just so you could tell people you have a Benz.
    Oooh the irony.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

forwarding all to appropriate persons, this is a problem I would like addressed YESTERDAY, sure pisses me off when telus wants to push something bigtime that quite frankly doesn't work for everyone.
    Travel

My Ride
    a wrx.

i always have truoble with telus' dns servers. sometimes, for no reason at all, about half the sites i try to visit wont work cuz of a "gateway error".

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

I've been having problems for about 7 weeks now.. I finally got a stable connection about 3 days ago but it's insanely slow now, like 56-80k.. sigh. I phoned Telus and they offered me a month off in exchange for 7 weeks of no real internet connection. I'm looking at alternatives!
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by kevie88
    I've been having problems for about 7 weeks now.. I finally got a stable connection about 3 days ago but it's insanely slow now, like 56-80k.. sigh. I phoned Telus and they offered me a month off in exchange for 7 weeks of no real internet connection. I'm looking at alternatives!
    they jerked me around for almost a month...before i got the net. they kept blaming the problem on me not setting it up right, even tho they eventually figured out that they had it wired wrong.

if i could get shaw where i live, i would never put up with this bs

For the past few weeks my dsl has been slow as ASS!!

It's only fast occasionally, probably gonna switch back to shaw after I bitch to Telus....

My Ride
    335i

Shaw Cable Download - 440Kb/sec. That's fast .
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Honda

Well at least I'm not alone.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    i always have truoble with telus' dns servers. sometimes, for no reason at all, about half the sites i try to visit wont work cuz of a "gateway error".
    That's actually not their DNS servers. That's their "hidden proxy server". Every http request thru telus goes thru this inline proxy server, so they can conserve bandwidth. The gateway error is an error generated by that proxy server, which seems to have connectivity problems.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Shaw Cable Download - 440Kb/sec. That's fast .
    I get 800KB/sec routinely at night. 400 on slow days (peak hrs in the afternoon when I'm fighting Big_Six_Boy for bandwidth!) hehe.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Haha thats what happens when you buy into the ADSL marketting about how you get your own dedicated line to the internet and that cable is bad because it is shared.

ADSL bites, its slow as hell for a broadband connection. Forcing users to go through a proxy server that is apparently inadequate is just dumb. Upgrade the infrastructure before signing on new clients!

Go Shaw! haha
    ---

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by rage2

That's actually not their DNS servers. That's their "hidden proxy server". Every http request thru telus goes thru this inline proxy server, so they can conserve bandwidth. The gateway error is an error generated by that proxy server, which seems to have connectivity problems.
    hm i guess that makes sense! it just sucks because beyond is one of the sites that i have this problem with! but other sites like msn.com never go down. i guess that is because that site is almost always stored in the proxy server correct?

No problems with U of C dial-up here.

3.5kb/s peak downloading

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    hm i guess that makes sense! it just sucks because beyond is one of the sites that i have this problem with! but other sites like msn.com never go down. i guess that is because that site is almost always stored in the proxy server correct?
    You're not the only one . I have a terminal services session (like PCAnywhere) setup for someone so they can connect to my server to browse the internet through my shaw connection. Quite pathetic .

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

I'm really surprised at the responses here. In my experience, shaw has given me more problems than Telus.

My dad has had DSL in Lethbridge since 1997. I've had Shaw in Calgary for about a month. And mine has been down more than his already!

Shaw is faster though... when it's working!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Davan
    I'm really surprised at the responses here. In my experience, shaw has given me more problems than Telus.

My dad has had DSL in Lethbridge since 1997. I've had Shaw in Calgary for about a month. And mine has been down more than his already!

Shaw is faster though... when it's working!
    i know that shaw USED to have lots of problems too back in the day when it was new. it would go down for hours at a time for the dumbest reasons. then it got worse when it would go down lots AND it was slow cuz everyone and their dog started getting shaw....but now that shaw is upgrading like crazy, its all good with shaw again!

Originally posted by szw
    No problems with U of C dial-up here.

3.5kb/s peak downloading
    Yeah I used to have the 28.8 modem using U of C. It sucked because they disconneted you in 1 hour.

Shaw is the best, never goes down, never slows down.
    You can order digital movies for $2, pay-per-view events through your Shaw Digital Terminal. They even have their own channel on TV!
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Actually, shaw's performance problems were due to the fact that they had no way of managing and monitoring heavy users (people that run FTP's). Their upstream (cablemodem to CO) has very little bandwidth and is shared by each community. When upstream is slow, it affects download speeds too (takes too long to acknoledge packets, etc). This is the flaw of the cablemodem infrastructure design. Try running a FTP server, see how long it takes for them to suspend you now . This is why shaw's blazing fast now.

Their internet connectivity is HUGE, so that was never an issue with Shaw. They owned SFL which has massive backbone connectivity. After they sold that to GT, they built BigPipe, which has even greater bandwidth than the old SFL.

My Ride
    MDX

dont forget that shaw had a 2 year headstart on the high speed market...They have way more coverage but thats slowly changing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast