Really FAST Ones

Yup thas me ya Hater.

Pictures courtesy of a GM Corvette
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

My Ride
    1988 GT4, 1994 GT4

I am under the impression that some dyno operators like to run cars in 4th gear simply because things happen slower. This is useful mostly when tuning. You can see changes in the A/F more accurately and can listen to detonation much better when things aren't happening so fast.

Therefore when tuning it might be preferable.

Other than that, unless there is a boost restriction in lower gears, or the car is spinning its tires, you might want to work in a lower gear.

Personally I dyno'd on a 4WD Mustang dyno and did my runs in 2nd gear. The operator was very much of the same mindset as Dr. Lightspeed, and really, I dont see any problem with it.

If your arguement is that I wont make as much power in 2nd, well then, I'll take that and say I'm quite happy with my 236awhp and 252 aw ft-lbs.

:P
    1988 Toyota Celica GT-Four
    1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four WRC

My Ride
    Really FAST Ones

Originally posted by ACX

Rofl:4th gear dyno vs 3st gear dyno... "picked up 20 lb-ft of torque by installing my mini spare delete kit in 5 seconds"

COLOR]
    If you had read my previous posts you would realize that with the dyno having an accurate RPM measurement that would not even effect it. Also you do not need to calculate your final drive ratio as the dyno knows the roll speed of the rollers and the engine RPM it can calculate it within the software. I think everyone is confused with the differances between a dynojet and a mustang. None the less I will continue to do things my way until someone can give me some real reason why. So far this is just regurgitated internet garble coupled with Hate.
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

My Ride
    Hybrid

Where did you find an AWD dyno? I think there's a few people who would like to know.

Originally posted by GT-FOUR
    ...Personally I dyno'd on a 4WD Mustang dyno and did my runs in 2nd gear. The operator was very much of the same mindset as Dr. Lightspeed, and really, I dont see any problem with it.

My Ride
    1988 GT4, 1994 GT4

Originally posted by Strider
    Where did you find an AWD dyno? I think there's a few people who would like to know.

Seattle, Washington. haha it's a bit of a drive!
    1988 Toyota Celica GT-Four
    1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four WRC

My Ride
    I take the bus and nutswing JDM

Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed

If you had read my previous posts you would realize that with the dyno having an accurate RPM measurement that would not even effect it. Also you do not need to calculate your final drive ratio as the dyno knows the roll speed of the rollers and the engine RPM it can calculate it within the software. I think everyone is confused with the differances between a dynojet and a mustang. None the less I will continue to do things my way until someone can give me some real reason why. So far this is just regurgitated internet garble coupled with Hate.
    I'm not taking swipes at you, since... I would not know you from Adam..

I'm not the one who made the original quote, and you seemed to have quoted me wrong.

I know that SRT guys observe that kind of difference (20 foor pounds) on a dynojet, from those geared pulls..

I know what an MD250 is from my Mustang owning days. I know what a dynojet is.

I don't care to attempt to hate or discredit you in any way, and I have no doubt you are knowledgable far more than I in the arts of dyno tuning..

If you're way too smart for this post then make an FAQ instead of whining.

Take a pill and move along to someone who actually is taking stabs at you.

06 F250 diesel.
    Saving up for a used shitbox to enhance my cool factor.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

WTF is a baseline?
    I'm not what they call a 'dyno expert'.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    You Crazy

power numbers do of course change from gear to gear depending on the the test being performed.

But what do I know?

My Ride
    91 Civic

Originally posted by Toma
    power numbers do of course change from gear to gear depending on the the test being performed.

But what do I know?
    politics
    Originally posted by Ridelikeme

preludes are definately not slow.. they are the corvettes of the honda 4cylinder world..they float

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by iceburns288
    WTF is a baseline?
    I'm not what they call a 'dyno expert'.
    Just a dyno run to establish "before" numbers, like if you had a stock car you would dyno it stock, then do more runs after certain modifications are done to see what an effect it had on the cars performance
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Okay, now I understand why readings would be different from gear to gear... but someone re-explain this in plain English... it helps to say something when you aren't arguing with them...
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    1988 MR2 supercharged t/t

Originally posted by BuknBronco
    well im ready to put my money where my mouth is, bring it to race city, im there every friday
    r u joking!!! u knoe u drive a famaly car. why don't you go race a mini van makes more cents than racing a sports car. and why don't you guys track race i would like to see buknbronco flip 6 times trying to take a turn at 20 km/h. mabey u should stop trying to be a big shot and respect others or join a ford bronco forum lol!!!

oh yah one more thing Found On Road Dead

My Ride
    I take the bus and nutswing JDM

Originally posted by MR.TWO

The 4 gear burnout I saw a new Cobra do left only dead tires on the ground..

06 F250 diesel.
    Saving up for a used shitbox to enhance my cool factor.

My Ride
    91 Civic

Originally posted by MR.TWO

The year 1991 called, they want their joke back
    Originally posted by Ridelikeme

preludes are definately not slow.. they are the corvettes of the honda 4cylinder world..they float

My Ride
    94 Golf- 600 hampster power

Mr 2 you r an idiot, u want to see me flip, I will be at race city friday why dont you come find me in my Bronco if you have any balls and we will see who will be flipping.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by BuknBronco
    Mr 2 you r an idiot, u want to see me flip, I will be at race city friday why dont you come find me in my Bronco if you have any balls and we will see who will be flipping.

This will be interesting!

I hope to be there to see,... then I think I'll run auto-X
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

I can see the math from Dr Lightspeed and his points and don't believe he needs to be razzed so bad. Only thing that would make me happy would be to see tests on a few different cars from gears 1-4 or 1-3 at least showing how well the graphs overlay. Just due to mechanical efficiencies and what have you I guess, it has my interest. After all, let's face it... most things worth watching and participating in last longer than 3 seconds.

I worked out of shop with dynojet for some time doing many dynos and even on the inertia dyno 4th gear pulls on low horsepower cars is painful in that go grab a cup of coffee because you are going to be there a while kind of way. I know I've seen some small differences (like 3-4 horsepower) between 3rd,4th gear (which will vary between car application) so it's not always as harsh as it may sound. Certainly as mentioned, people need to keep in mind vehicle at hand. Not going 4th in a stockish Civic, is fine by my stds.

One thing though... I don't know if I would worry about a stock Civic blowing up because it's WOT for 15 seconds and I wouldn't worry too much about most loading situations. I would be more worried about the tuning.... if the a/f is looking like shit during the run, get off the gas. Seems pretty simple and I didn't see any major catastrophes in well over 1000runs by this method. Saw oil breather pop out and coat the engine with oil and thus huge clouds of smoke, but the only major engine spill on higher loading method with dynojet which generally needs 10-15 seconds for greater accuracy, was by some chevy race car, when I wasn't there. I personally would like to know that my car won't overheat and blow up while I'm on the dyno and not the track just because it's WOT for 15 seconds in one gear (starting from 2000rpms where it's making no horsepower in case of little 4 cyl.).

My Ride
    2000 Honda Civic SI-T

I got my e-manage installed and tuned last week and here are the numbers.My baseline was 99.2hp and 91.5ft/lbs and now it is at 115.4hp and 102.4ft/lbs. vtec was lowered to 4600rpm and the difference now is quite noticeable.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

You made that much power just by tuning the e-manage? I'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread..
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    2000 Honda Civic SI-T

Originally posted by ~$eanith~
    You made that much power just by tuning the e-manage? I'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread..
    yes i did

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast