Quantcast
Build Quality - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: WHICH COMPANY HAS BETTER BUILD QUALITY?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • HONDA

35 56.45%
  • VOLKSWAGON

27 43.55%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Quality

My Ride
    335i

Default Build Quality

Okay, aside from ALL BIAS that you may have, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on build quality of these two manufacturers.

I've had my Integra for over 2 years now, and knock on wood, im thoroughly amazed at the way it's held up. It's given me rarely no problems during this time and i haven't had any parts replaced as of yet.

Which brings me to my question. There are people that swear by Volkswagon as great cars, but i've never really known anyone that had one. I thought it would be interesting to see which manufacturer is generally rated as having a better quality vehicle. Throw out your bias, and nothing to do with styling is important. Just quality.

WHICH CAR MANUFACTURER BUILDS THE BEST QUALITY CAR OUT OF THE TWO LISTED?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I think fit and finish, VW probably has an edge, same build as the audis...although the ludes are put together quite well, and even use the same rubber dash material that VW does which are alot safer than the moulded plastic...

its very close though...now if it was honda/vw Vs Domestics...well then...
    Travel

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

VW's Mexico made ...nuff said.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

What would you define as "build quality"? Performance and reliability? The over all appearance of finished product? Or even how well it would stand up, to say, like an accident structurally? Build quality can mean different things to different people.

I think it depend. Like mentioned above, Mexico?? Some Hondas all really well made, especially straight out of Japan. Like wise for VW from German. But on the otherhand, some of their cars from cheaper plants, tend to be less than par.
    So, to ask that question is being to vague.
    Damn +44411's

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Honda. half of vw's stuff is made in mexico
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    NC1

Definitely Honda although VW is making their case
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by legendboy
    Honda. half of vw's stuff is made in mexico

what basis of agrument is that? Its build quality, not where its made...

I think we should get a new Honda and a new VW out at a meet and compare them, that way you can directly compare, instead of making assumptive statements based on uneducated opinions.

Or how bout sams Bimmer and FD's Jetta for that matter
    Last edited by Ben; 11-07-2002 at 02:19 PM.
    Travel

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

You forget I sold new Acura's! I've done my homework.

I think VW is a nice car with a good fit and finish but when you buy a new jetta and there is a fuckin burrito stuck in the dash and your car smells like tequila what are you gonna think!!!

j/k . I'm partial to honda products.

I own both, and love both, but my kudos goes to Honda for "build quality" specifically. Two other observations:

1) What is build quality? I believe that it is a very subjective term, and hence, depending on who you ask, responses will vary.

2) Nike products are made in Mexico for the most part. Do we ever contest their "build quality"?

Asif

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

is it REALLY that important that wether the car is made in Mexico or Germany? is it the designs and the material of a car thats important. Since all the cars are bascially made by machines in an assembly line. Does the machines in japan are made in japan and the ones in Mexico are made in Mexico? I guess you can argue that the attitude of the workers controlling the machines are not as .. dedicated as Japanese... but that doesnt really affect the quality of a car as a whole.

personally i would say VW. without looking at specs and detail, it just feels more solid when you sit in it as compare to sitting in a Civic or n accord either. but this is coming from someone who only sat in a 02' Passat, 95 GTI and a 97 Jetta Trek (i think its 97..)

i was really impress with the Passat, the quality of the interior is just outstanding, it doesnt have the rubbish feel as in a civic or a lude.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by Stratus_Power
    is it REALLY that important that wether the car is made in Mexico or Germany? .
    100% Yes it does

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

you have never been to the plant in mexico, it may be on Mexican soil, but its german engineering in the factory. Oh, and BTW, workiers in the mexican plant are paid 4 times more than the national wage average, so they are plenty happy to be thier.

On a side story, it was funny, they recieved a Jetta t my dads dealership, and it had a wallet of one of the builders fallen underneith the seat of the car. A visa card, drivers licence and all that neat stuff, it was kinda cool to see the face of somene who helped build that car.
    Travel

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

if you have 2 vw's. one thats a mexican and one a german and you feel the paint there is a difference that can be felt by touch. 2nd, look at the 2 cars, you will not find ANY paint flaws on the german made and you WILL find flaws on the mexican.

Same as japanese cars being made in north america. if you take an american and japanese cars and do the same test you will have the same results.

I'm only talking from experience. The VW facts come from perry iskivitch, with whom I use to work with. (He ownes northland) (iskivitches own NW Acura, where I use to work and we were always compairing the 2 makes)

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

you can find flaws in any car...
    Travel

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

go sit in Peters car and tell me that it has shitty build quality
    Travel

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

haha, I'm just trying to get ya going! vw's are nice cars, jettas are

My Ride
    335i

Please try to keep the comments about each company to appropriate ones as this is going to explode into a flame war.

When I posted about quality, I meant that the persons voting take into consideration longevity and reliability. I know for a fact that VW's last a long time, but i've also seen so many Hondas with 300,000kms on them and solid as a rock.

I'm pretty impressed with my car and I think that Honda is undoubtedly one of the best vehicles you can buy. Honestly.

Since VW and Honda are naturally competitors, and offer similarily priced vehicles, the thread was started.

Personally, to comment on where specifically a car is made. While the engineering is the most important factor in building a good car, you have to remember that machines are not the sole manufacturers of vehicles. People are there. Now if you look at both Japan and Germany, you find that the employees of a firm are extremely loyal and take pride in doing a good job for their employers. In Japan, people usually work their entire life in the same business if it offers room to move up. In Mexico, people just dont care as much I think.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

I really like VW's in recent years, although I must admit I've had friends tell me about their expensive maintenance and reliability on their 92-96 jetta's. I also have friends that bag the shit out of their accords and they still seem to hold up well, versus some with minor problems.

But its really hard to say which is better because every manufacturer has their pros and cons. Just hope you don't get a lemon.
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I think.

Keyword being the above, you dont know

I like hondas alot, if I didn't own a VW, I would buy a honda plain and simple, unless I could afford an Audi/BMW etc

VW has very high quality control standards no matter where they are built, as does Honda...you sure dont see many Honda or VW recalls do you?

These people in the factories are trained by the same book as in the headquarters...and saying the worker doesn't care...how is that, they have excellent jobs and pay compared to the standard currently set in Mexico...

In any case, both are very competative contestantse in quality of build...

Like my car for example...sure it looks like ass, and everyone is quick to say that, but take it for a rip...its a pretty agile and well built little car, especially for its age...and look at CRX's, alot of people swear by those as well.
    Last edited by Ben; 11-07-2002 at 04:39 PM.
    Travel

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast