Quantcast
Ford GR-1 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ford GR-1

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default Ford GR-1

Ford's sportscar heritage is on full display in the 2005 model year and, not coincidentally, this weekend at the annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Ford's 550-hp GT is finally in the hands of its exclusive owners (Jay Leno among them - a red one with white stripes, if you must know) and the 2005 Mustang is in the pipeline. But what comes next as Ford puts the pedal to the metal in its sportscar lineup? Maybe, if you and other collectors ask often enough, this Ford Shelby GR-1 concept could be the third Ford to resurrect the musclecar era in body and soul.

The GR-1 is the result of one of the better collaborations in car history - that between Carroll Shelby and Ford Motor Company.Shelby, 81, who first joined up with Ford in 1952, is one of the "key collaborators" on the stunning concept on display this weekend at Pebble Beach . And as we thought when Shelby showed up alongside the concept that became the 2005 Ford GT, it's not difficult to picture the GR-1 emerging as a successor to that supercar sometime after the GT's run of 1500 units is completed.

The story of the GR-1 is just the latest in the more than fifty years of Shelby/Ford stories, but it owes most of its existence to the recent rapprochement between the company and the man. Since 1965, Shelby had lent his name to a performance version of the then-new Mustang, and over the years, has worked on a variety of Ford's track and production programs. That relationship soured when Shelby followed former Ford President Lee Iacocca to Chrysler Corp. two decades ago. And until 2002, Shelby worked on plenty of side projects, including a car of his own using an Oldsmobile engine.

In 2002 Shelby and Ford made up, and the icon was brought to bear as Ford planned the GT supercar program. The success of that program has since led to even more cooperation, and Ford says that Shelby will have a hand in at least three or four different vehicle programs, starting with a high-performance version of the next-generation Mustang, which hits the streets next year. A Shelby-massaged Ford Expedition was announced this summer as well.

Ford's quest to recapture the Cobra magic took it first in the direction of the 2005 GT. And earlier this year, it showed another concept related mechanically to the GT and dubbed the Cobra. Shelby had become involved in that program in early 2003, and the car's mechanicals showed it: under the hood lie a 6.4-liter V-10 with 605 horsepower and 501 pound-feet of torque through 19-inch rear wheels. Ford and Shelby estimated that the Cobra concept would thrust to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and hit a top speed of 190 mph. However, the car's slab-sided looks didn't quite convey the essence of the Cobra, and response to its styling was muted.

The GR-1 suffers none of that equivocation. Not only does its stunning shape - penned by Ford designer George Saridakis, with Ford only since 2000 - capture the hard-edged glamour of Sixties racecars, Ford also says the concept is based on the architecture of the production GT supercar. The two-seat, front-engined fastback doesn't rest on the GT's haunches - it draws out a teardrop-shaped style all its own that could prove a convincing sell over the Viper or a super Corvette.

Best of all, Ford confirms that the engine installed is a V-10, as in the 605-hp Cobra concept. At that concept's introduction, Ford execs said that 700 hp for the V-10 was a distinct possibility, given more Shelby-fication.

Ford design chieftain J Mays says the GR-1 isn't merely a better Cobra design: "I see the Ford Shelby GR-1 concept as a gift to Carroll." Whether Ford passes that gift on to the rest of you remains to be seen. Stay tuned to TCC this weekend as we report from Pebble Beach and bring you more on the GR-1 concept.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

Im seeing aston martin cues. I guess its the benifit of mergers...

My Ride
    Apex Predator

actually no, it looks like the shelby cobra daytona coupe from the 60s, and that concept car is gorgeous. Compare the front fenders, the rear window, the hood is similar, the rear quarter window, gas cap location and obviously the tear-drop shape of the car is similar. Of course they've modernized it, but this is the car it takes its cues from. The only thing its missing I think would be the side exhaust
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NickGT; 08-13-2004 at 11:22 AM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

My Ride
    pedals

word man, i was totally gonna say the cobra daytona!

A totally redesigned cobra with better suspension, stiffer chassis and far far better aerodynamics. this car weighed more than a standard cobra, yet used the same motor, so it had slightly slower acceleration, but it made up for it on top end speed. the standard cobra was like a brick and had trouble getting into ferrari top speed territory. thats where the Cobra Daytona Coupe comes in. This car is the only american made car to ever win a FIA sports car championship.
    Last edited by hjr; 08-13-2004 at 12:51 PM.

My Ride
    91 Civic

looks awesome!
    Originally posted by Ridelikeme

preludes are definately not slow.. they are the corvettes of the honda 4cylinder world..they float

Damn very sexy car!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Protege 5 / 4WD Mallfinder / V10 pushrods

Looks ok, better then the new cobra but enough with the throwbacks. It was cool 5 to 10 years ago (first Viper concept), but come on!
    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

My Ride
    purple people eater

"HOLY SHIT"
    nice car
    I'd rather have all these throwbacks then all those ugly-as-shit futuristic concepts we were getting five years back.. like the Aztec and the new Lexus convertible.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

I love that... looks awesome and first thing I thought of was the Brock Coupe (whatever you choose to call it)

Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    garbage truck