Quantcast
Buying a BC Car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a BC Car

Default Buying a BC Car

Looking at buying a car from BC as their prices seem to be so much better than ours... until you factor in the PST!

Is it possible to claim the PST back on your purchase? Everything I've found says not if you live outside of the country... I can't find anything about Alberta residents.

Does anyone know for certain?

id say no, youll also have to get it safetied, as its out of province

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by xkon
    id say no, youll also have to get it safetied, as its out of province

seeing as how Bol is talking about PST...I think its safe to say he is looking at a new car...

and no...you can't claim the PST back...I had a family member do the same thing...she had to pay the PST and still walked away a couple grand UNDER Alta. Dealers...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    NC1

1. You do NOT have to pay PST, if you did, the government thanks you for your donation! I've made two vehicle purchases in BC in the last two years and did not have to pay the PST. I just tell them in advance and the dealer prepares the paperwork. Go and present your AB Driver's ID + Health Care Card as proof of AB residence and sign a couple forms at the dealer and you are done!

2. If you plan to drive the vehicle back, the registry will issue you this paper that reads 'Vehicle in transport' or something. You post it on your front windshield and have 2-3 days to drive the car back. You must have insurance on the vehicle. When you come back, get an 'Out of Province' inspection done and the mechanic will give you this green paper declaring your car has safely passed the inspection (basic stuff). Then bring that piece of paper back to the registry and they will issue you registration.

That is all and what cha planning to buy man?!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

As for PST for shopping, clothes, whatever etc. Some stores you have to pay, some stores you don't Some stores will just get you to fill your name with driver's ID and you just pay GST. Some stores, it don't work. Why? I don't know!

I just say, I don't want to pay PST, and they go, OK! (75%) of the time
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

I bought my first car in BC. You don't have to pay PST as long as you are an Alberta resident, you have an AB lisence and AB insurance.
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by CycloneAWD

seeing as how Bol is talking about PST...I think its safe to say he is looking at a new car...

and no...you can't claim the PST back...I had a family member do the same thing...she had to pay the PST and still walked away a couple grand UNDER Alta. Dealers...
    She got jacked.......not cool man!
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Originally posted by max_boost
    1. You do NOT have to pay PST, if you did, the government thanks you for your donation! I've made two vehicle purchases in BC in the last two years and did not have to pay the PST. I just tell them in advance and the dealer prepares the paperwork. Go and present your AB Driver's ID + Health Care Card as proof of AB residence and sign a couple forms at the dealer and you are done!

2. If you plan to drive the vehicle back, the registry will issue you this paper that reads 'Vehicle in transport' or something. You post it on your front windshield and have 2-3 days to drive the car back. You must have insurance on the vehicle. When you come back, get an 'Out of Province' inspection done and the mechanic will give you this green paper declaring your car has safely passed the inspection (basic stuff). Then bring that piece of paper back to the registry and they will issue you registration.

thanks for the info max, I wish I would have known that a year ago!

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

She got jacked.......not cool man!

Dude, I am just realizing that...man it sucks...but she still did save like 2000 dollars over what an Edmonton dealer was giving her, PLUS she got the colour she wanted...but yeah...hmmm...interesting...
    ...@therealarifjina...

used cars from a dealer charge gst, would they not charge PST as well??

interesting about PST... ill try that when i get a car from there... NEVER would have even thought about it!!!

We're talking about a used car here... and the dealer says he has to charge me it. I'm going to try to find out some more info from the government themselves.

My Ride
    NC1

My S2K and 323I was used!!!
    I think the dealer will charge you and then profit it! It fits their shady practices right?
    I am user #49

My S2K and 323I was used!!!
    I think the dealer will charge you and then profit it! It fits their shady practices right?

No kidding...

OK. Non BC residents are PST exempt! There is a form that the dealers should have called FIN598 from the Consumer Taxation Branch. It needs to be filled out and submitted by them. There are some rules to it but it's what I and most of you who buy a car in BC need.

Useful information for dealers who don't know....

Edit: http://www.rev.gov.bc.ca/ctb/forms/0598FILL.pdf is the URL for the form if the dealer does not have it.

On April 1 2013 BC goes back to having PST. Does anyone know if the same exemptions for OOP residents will still apply after that?

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by whiskas
    On April 1 2013 BC goes back to having PST. Does anyone know if the same exemptions for OOP residents will still apply after that?
    Yes, they still apply the same way.

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

This is exactly right. I bought a Subaru in BC before. Didn't pay any pst. Does anyone know if this is the same case with other provinces? I have looked into buying in Ontario before.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Yes, this should be the same across all provinces with any goods.

My Ride
    whatever I feel like

Originally posted by whiskas
    Is this an April Fools' Day joke?

Ok so let me get this straight I'm looking to buy a truck in Alberta as I live in SK, so I won't have to pay pst at the dealership but when I go to register it with SGI do I have to pay pst?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast