Quantcast
a good reason to not use no-name filters (ractive in this case) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a good reason to not use no-name filters (ractive in this case)

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default a good reason to not use no-name filters (ractive in this case)

so i go out for a drive tonight. as i pulling away from a set of lights, my car suddenly stutters and hesitates. wtf. i let off the throttle and get back on it. the throttle goes down a bit, but not all the way. wtf. that and some more hesitation. wtf.

so i pull over and i make sure the throttle cable isnt loose or anything. its not. then im thinking, ok maybe the throttle plate is sticking on some gunk. so i pull the intake hose off the throttle body and BLAM this metal dish falls out. wtf. i look at it for awhile trying to figure out wtf this thing is. then i figure it out. its the metal cover that goes in the center of the cone filter. wtf.

it somehow fell off, made its way thru my afm, then got stopped by the throttle plate. holy fucking shit. if it had gone any further, i probably never would have figured it out!!

in conclusion, no-name filters suck! im only using this stupid filter cuz k&n doesnt make the right size for me.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

k&n doesn't have any filters for your car? what about a universal cone filter?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

That happened to a friends car, except it lodged inside the tb causing the throttle blades to stay at WOT!!

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

You got Lucky... glad to see you diden't hurt your car....

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by finboy
    k&n doesn't have any filters for your car? what about a universal cone filter?
    basically i need a short 3" diameter filter to fit right over the afm. the k&n ones are all too long.

once i get the stupid metal thing glued on there shouldnt be anymore problems. ive had the filter on for a year and a half before this cropped up.

im still WHEWing over this!

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    basically i need a short 3" diameter filter to fit right over the afm. the k&n ones are all too long.

once i get the stupid metal thing glued on there shouldnt be anymore problems. ive had the filter on for a year and a half before this cropped up.

im still WHEWing over this!
    it suprises me that there is no filter though, maybe try one of those hks mushroom ones

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

there is a FIPK for teh AE86 with the regular motors...4A-GE...Now I dont know if it made a difference that he swapped in a AE92 4A-GE into his AE86...but maybe some of the piping does not match anymore, and thats why he cant get a filter...

But as Finboy mentioned Jeff, try to look at an HKS filter, or the GReddy Arinx...they might have something to fit your needs...and I can get there here used man...just let me know...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by CycloneAWD
    there is a FIPK for teh AE86 with the regular motors...4A-GE...Now I dont know if it made a difference that he swapped in a AE92 4A-GE into his AE86...but maybe some of the piping does not match anymore, and thats why he cant get a filter...

But as Finboy mentioned Jeff, try to look at an HKS filter, or the GReddy Arinx...they might have something to fit your needs...and I can get there here used man...just let me know...
    ive heard a bunch of horror stories about the hks foam disintegrating from extreme weather...plus they are one use.

what is this arinx?

My Ride
    White Car #3

Same crap happened to me..

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=53975

The thing is, who's gonna be responsible if that metal cap did do some damage? These parts are supposed to make our cars better, not damage them. I think that these things should be boycotted be everyone.

Even some of the K&N cone filters I've seen are built the same way. So sooner or later that glue's gonna give, especially since they're re-usable and you wash them.

In regards to the HKS filters - you can get the replacement foam.
    The Greddy Arinx is built very similar to the HKS Mushroom.

My Ride
    2004 Sonata

doesn't this one fit...

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=57-9000

click on vehicle applications...
    Maybe it should have been "Watch as a bunch of teenagers defend their 10+ year old economy compacts as race cars"

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by rylake
    doesn't this one fit...

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/sear...x?Prod=57-9000

click on vehicle applications...
    nope...my engine bay isnt laid out exactly like stock.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

nope...my engine bay isnt laid out exactly like stock.
    post a pic of your engine bay, i have to go k&n shopping, i can see if they might have something that'd work for you as well and get you a part number.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by finboy

post a pic of your engine bay, i have to go k&n shopping, i can see if they might have something that'd work for you as well and get you a part number.
    haha its alright man, my current filter is fine. i just siliconed the metal piece back on.

My Ride
    '92 Mazda

where does this so called metal peice come from? i have a ractive cone on my car(SF100)....and i was playin with it before i installed it, and i saw no metal on the inside of the filter....only rubbery plasic junk.... lol......or am i missing something here....

ciao
    Some People Are Like Slinkies, No Matter How Many Times You Push Them Down The Stairs, They'll Always Put A Smile On Your Face.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: a good reason to not use no-name filters (ractive in this case)

its the metal cover that goes in the center of the cone filter.

My Ride
    '92 Mazda

i only have a metal ring on the outside....nothin inside, perhaps you should look into a different style of ractive filter if thats wut fits....incase your silicon doesnt hold...
    Some People Are Like Slinkies, No Matter How Many Times You Push Them Down The Stairs, They'll Always Put A Smile On Your Face.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

dude, get urself another cheap reactive filter and don't mess around with fixing ur old one!

didn't it teach u a lesson when that plate got jammed in there the first time?

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

I just so happened to have a brand new cone filer to fit 3" intakes here still in the box,.. lemme open it and see,......

nope no metal inside,... looking right in,.. it looks like a small rubber/plastic cap that holds the inner filter section together,....*puts hand inside and tugs a little on the cap*,... but there is sooooo much resin in there to hold it,.. you'd rip the filter in 1/2 before that rubber/plastic cap comes off.,... great now my fingers feel a little oily,...LOL

perhalps ractive had past complaints and changed their design a little.
    I've had this filter for a couple of months now sitting in my room.

btw: part no. on the box says SF-100,... printed on the ring "ractive superflow filter", I think I paid something like $28-30 for this one.

I'm sure K&N went through the same ordeal when designing their filters,... actually I think all manufacturing co.'s go through it.

no sense keeping that filter,... it probably is a reject or something,... get yourself a new one,... they seem to be built quite well.

Did you really need to put that metal cap back on? probably not,... unless it's the earlier version of the rubber/plastic cap I tugged on.
    Last edited by barmanjay; 08-30-2004 at 11:02 PM.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by barmanjay
    I just so happened to have a brand new cone filer to fit 3" intakes here still in the box,.. lemme open it and see,......

nope no metal inside,... looking right in,.. it looks like a small rubber/plastic cap that holds the inner filter section together,....*puts hand inside and tugs a little on the cap*,... but there is sooooo much resin in there to hold it,.. you'd rip the filter in 1/2 before that rubber/plastic cap comes off.,... great now my fingers feel a little oily,...LOL

perhalps ractive had past complaints and changed their design a little.
    I've had this filter for a couple of months now sitting in my room.

btw: part no. on the box says SF-100,... printed on the ring "ractive superflow filter", I think I paid something like $28-30 for this one.

I'm sure K&N went through the same ordeal when designing their filters,... actually I think all manufacturing co.'s go through it.
    30 bucks? damn, you can get a k&n cone for like 10 bucks more.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Why get a K&N,.... I examined the quality of both,... and I actually liked the ractive better,..... seemed like there would be better flow,.... less fins, but will get dirtier a little quicker.

they are also an oil based filter,.. so using the K&N cleaning kit will work too. (been assured by a trusted parts guy)

*edit - and that price I paid was including tax.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast