Quantcast
Are old sports cards worth anything? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are old sports cards worth anything?

My Ride
    firebird

Default Are old sports cards worth anything?

I have about 20 000 of them just sitting around from the 1990-1995 era. Hockey, baseball, basketball, and football. I am cleaning out my room and I am wondering what to do with them.

Just wondering if they are worth anything and to who?

Thanks.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

lam-boy Guest

mostly depending on the Set (Pro-set, upper deck, o pee chee and other brands) and the player cards and what type (rookies and such)

I used to have so many and then when I moved houses I left them behind haha. it sucked but whatever..good luck with finding the ones that are worth big $$$

and I think you can hit up a sports collectible store which would be able to give you pricings (im not sure if they would rip you off or anything) and there should be magazines out there that will tell you pricing on the cards but I dont know what it would be called..

I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    My Ride
    That Blue Car

beckett... they have price guides for all cards...

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Beckett is the monthly price catalogue, can be found at any card shop. Upper Deck, Some Parkhurst, Bowman, and a variety of O-Pee-Chee are worth the most, Brands like Pro Set, Score, Topps (o-pee-chee derivative) are worth not a whole bunch.

I too have about 20,000 in cards, but I dont plan on getting rid of them any time soon.
    Travel

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

yea i got like baseball cards from like the70's and 80's i never checked their value...

My Ride
    Pathfinder

i think 90-91 upperdeck is gonna be pretty valuable....its got so many rookie cards from some really good players in the leauge right now

My Ride
    97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

If its 90-95 hang on to them for awhile because they wont be worth anything for a while.
    Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain. And all the children are insane.

I'm a little older than you guys I suspect...but when I was...ahem... younger...I did the same thing -> went through cards I collected as a kid.

Found out I had 10 Ray Borque rookie cards, about 8 Gretzky (second year (DAMN)) cards, 10 Mark Messier rookie cards, Lots of Paul Coffey RC etc. The ironic thing here is that I also have a complete set of cards from Gretzky rookie year. (The previous year to previously mentioned cards) *ONE SET* no extras. The reason being??? My *MOM* decided that my brother and I had way too many hockey cards. She made us keep one set, rounded up the rest from that year (A COMPLETE GREEN GARBAGE BAG FULL!) and threw them out. I estimate that garbage bag to be worth about $15000.00 right now. I'm sure it had a dozen or more Gretzky RC in it. What a waste...

Living in Calgary, we hated Edmonton. So we used to take Gretzky cards and put them in our bike spokes!!! LMAO!!! OMFG!!

Those cards are worth far more than anything from the early 1990's. The cards in the 80's were still mass produced, but not nearly like Upper Deck, Score, etc in the early 90's. They printed hundreds of millions of cards...not going to be rare EVER IMO. Maybe in a hundred years when we're all dead. LOL.

Now, if I only had my DADS cards...when they went to buy GUM and 'got a card for free'. LOL - those'd be worth a whack of cash.

Damn, I'm getting old.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

beckett only shows the "best players" from the decks only though

yeah i'm hoping in like 10 years or so cards will get popular again.. looking to cash in on my collection in the future..

funny how some of us destroyed our cards.. a friend of mine used his gretz rookies back in the day and used it to make motorcycle sounds on his bicycle..

My Ride
    firebird

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was looking through my old beckett guides and these cards were actually worth something back then. But I was looking on EBAY and WTF....Full sets of Upperdeck un-opened selling for $1.99 US no reserve.

I am hoping that one day I can sell these cards and actually make a decent return. I have a box of autographed cards and rookie cards and then two boxes of just full sets....man o man....maybe I will put them in the bargain finder as a lot.

I was finding Desert Storm cards, barn yard animals, Cornelious corn flake cards, and everything. I am still trying to picture myself back then getting worked up about a George Bush Desert Storm card or something....
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Originally posted by Mckenzie

I was finding Desert Storm cards, barn yard animals, Cornelious corn flake cards, and everything. I am still trying to picture myself back then getting worked up about a George Bush Desert Storm card or something....
    I have like 4 or 5 sets of the Gold Edition Desert Storm cards, i think theyre sposed to be worth some good money a few years down the road.
    Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain. And all the children are insane.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

If I remember correctly, the Pro-set cards from the early 90's aren't worth a lot because they were so common
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Pro Sets, OPCs, TOPPs and Score cards weren't worth that much.. Upper Deck, OPC Premier, etc were worth a bit more than those ones.. if you can get a set of early 90s Bowman (I think 90-91 or 91-92) I remember they had one set in the early 90s that was worth like 300 bucks..

I think the hockey card market here in Canada has REALLY crashed - I'm in the same situation as you.

I start in 1990, went until about 1995. Have over 25,000 single cards, and almost every set from that time era of all the brands.

I doubt you could sell them now - I know back when I kinda grew out of it, stuff of that age was priced at 50% off all the time and still not selling....

Remember, 1990 was the big boom year. Everyone has cards from then. Everyone.

My Ride
    mx6

HAHA, 1990 to 1995, don't worry, I still have alot from then too. I tried to trade all my good cards back then for everything from the early 80s. Result, I have every rookie card from Gretkzy set to the 89 sakic year. Even some older stuff from 50-70s.

All the crap from 1990 on I couldn't give away for 50$. The 1990 UD set both high and low, I did sell for 20 bucks to someone else who threw all theirs away and wanted to look at them again. That was a year ago.

From 1990 on I gave all the cards that wern't rookies to my kids neighboor. No one in the card shops would give me anything, I mean NOTHING, they would say no thanks to even a pack of new cards.

So if anyone wants to buy about 8K USD of worth of older hockey cards give me a pm.

In 1990, you could go to ANY mall, and there would be people selling hockey cards all over the place. Everywhere! Those cards are worthless IMO.

Specifically, Score, OPC, and Upper Deck bigtime worthless. Like I was saying, they printed like a hundred million cards. They're not going to be worth anything for a couple hundred years. LOL!

I wonder about the Bowman though. I have several sets of them from 1990...

what about pogs... you guys remember pogs?

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

hahaha YES! still have like 2000 laying around somewhere in my basement!

Photograph courtesy of the Calgary Police Service

Originally posted by method
    what about pogs... you guys remember pogs?
    what about Magic: the Gathering, oh oh, lets not forget about pokemon!

Actually i do have some really old magic cards, hopefully theyre worth something

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast