hi

i recently bought a 94 Nissan Altima GXE with 170,000 miles on it from a private owner. i tested before i bought it and it didn't feel like the engine was that old. i got it at blue book value and it included AC, power everything and a CD player. the guy also gave me a receipt from a mechanic that the car was tuned up just two weeks ago (date is on receipt) and no problems were found.

now, a week later, i was stopped at a red light, then i switch to first gear to go, the car goes for 5 seconds, then studders, then dies. tried to trun it on again, the alternator was roaring but no gas was being pumped. i left the car on a street nearby only to go later at night and find out the battery is dead.

i guess my question is, is it possible that it's only the battery, is it more serious like the fuel pump being burned out or is it dead serious like an ignition problem?

could it be a long term issue that the guy would know about and didn't tell me or is it something that could've happenned within the week i had it?

i'd like to know if i should return the car to the guy before the 30 days go by.

thanx for your help.