Quantcast
Performance VS. Safety: Steering wheel poll - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: would you ever replace your airbag steering wheel with a racing one?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Racing steering wheel for sure, great looking, feeling, and its removable

23 50.00%
  • Stick with the factory airbag wheel, it may one day save my life

23 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Performance VS. Safety: Steering wheel poll

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Performance VS. Safety: Steering wheel poll

Would you ever get a sparco, momo, etc racing steering wheel, or would you stick with your factory airbag steering wheel. For those of you who have the racing wheel what made you go through with it, how do you like it. If I do ever get in an accident Ill be glad I have an airbag but I really want a racing steering wheel that is removable since calgary is turning into thugsville. What are your thoughts
    Last edited by Redlyne_mr2; 11-13-2002 at 10:55 PM.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

it all depends on the purpose of the car, if it was a daily driver and not on the track much, keep the AB, if you are on the track alot, MOMO that bitch in there
    Travel

My Ride
    Godzilla.

Wow people stealing steering wheels, wtf....???
    I don't mind some of the MOMo steering wheels...your car has Airbags..??? Mine doesn't I think they started in 92 right..???

But good question.... If you drive an MR2 in the first place saftey isn't the first thing on your list... I'de go w/ the upgrade...

My Ride

Originally posted by LaughingTiger
    Wow people stealing steering wheels, wtf....???
    I don't mind some of the MOMo steering wheels...your car has Airbags..??? Mine doesn't I think they started in 92 right..???

But good question.... If you drive an MR2 in the first place saftey isn't the first thing on your list... I'de go w/ the upgrade...
    actually dude the MR2 is extremely safe, you hear about guys flipping their 2's or splitting them in half and walking away from the crash, look at that dude who shadowz witnessed crash, he walked away from that too, the reason mine has airbags is because its a US model
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Godzilla.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

actually dude the MR2 is extremely safe, you hear about guys flipping their 2's or splitting them in half and walking away from the crash, look at that dude who shadowz witnessed crash, he walked away from that too, the reason mine has airbags is because its a US model

True enough, it's hard to belive though... My friend got rear ended w/ his 91 mr2 by a dump truck and was fine, and my other friend (a girl), flipped hers an wrote it off...walked away...
    If your not worried, then get the wheel.....

OK so if you have (or getting) a racing steering wheel i'm assuming you have racing seats with 3 or 5 point harnesses right? If you have those then go for it, with those seats you'll never hit the air bag anyways.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    changes daily :D

i would totally go for it!

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

I was just talking about this tonight with a friend, I dont really care if i change my steering wheel, because i dont have an Airbag, but if i had one i think i would leave it be.......But like 5.9 R/T Said if you are getting Racing Seats it dosnt really matter i Guess ..........Most people wouldnt think so, but MR2's do seem very Safe in accidents, B18C's Friend who rolled his MR2 last year( Car Was almost unrecognizable) walked away from the Accident with no injuries (im pretty sure) ,i talked to him less than week after and he seemed fine, Physically anyway, He was a total mess just standing there in his Alley looking at the car.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

take the airbag out.... get the TRD hub and put a momo or sparco wheel on. looks way better.

this is how my car use to look like except i traded someone my blue wheel for a silver one.

My Ride
    91 Mustang GT

Originally posted by Benny
    it all depends on the purpose of the car, if it was a daily driver and not on the track much, keep the AB, if you are on the track alot, MOMO that bitch in there
    My thoughts exactly.
    91 Mustang GT
    99 Acura 1.6 el

My Ride
    '99 Volkswagen GTI

if you do lots of daily driving i would definitely leave the airbags on there

but seen as how you have other daily drivers and mr2's are pretty safe it might not be a bad idea to throw a new wheel on there

go for SPARCO

and in all those cases where people walked away from mr2 accidents, gotta ask yourself if the airbags went off (but u said yours was american, if canadian mr2's dont have airbags then nm)
    R.I.P. 1998 Grand Prix Aug. 31 2003

'99 VW GTI in the works

My Ride
    Civic

check out the poll 50/50

I would really like a Momo or Mugen wheel, but what's preventing me is the whole airbag thing. Not only because I'm taking out a safety feature of my car, but also because of insurance reasons.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

I think MOMO Race and MOMO Champion both look nice.

My Ride

Originally posted by buh_buh
    I would really like a Momo or Mugen wheel, but what's preventing me is the whole airbag thing. Not only because I'm taking out a safety feature of my car, but also because of insurance reasons.
    just curious as to why insurance would be affected? could you be seen at fault in an accident if you had a racing wheel even if it wasnt your fault?
    5.9 rt,,,I will be getting racing seats and harnesses so the airbag wont even touch me in the event of an accident??

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    '99 Volkswagen GTI

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

just curious as to why insurance would be affected? could you be seen at fault in an accident if you had a racing wheel even if it wasnt your fault?
    5.9 rt,,,I will be getting racing seats and harnesses so the airbag wont even touch me in the event of an accident??
    umm dont quote me cuz i could be wrong but in some cases if you remove your airbags (removal of a safety device from your vehicle) and you get in an accident, i dont think it matters if it is your fault or not but the insurance company can CANCEL or VOID your coverage on the spot
    R.I.P. 1998 Grand Prix Aug. 31 2003

'99 VW GTI in the works

My Ride
    O.P.P.

When I bought my car, the previous owner had already replaced the factory wheel with a MOMO one, which is on someone else's car right now *psss* howz my Fighter doing BTW
    I personally don't mind not having the airbag wheel, although if I was to sell the car, I'd prolly have to re-install it

I just wouldn't mess with safety stuff, its just not worth it to me.

I've never been in a car with a racing harness, does it just strap you in, and doens't have any slack before it locks? Or are they always 'locked' and keep you pinned into your seat?

My Ride

Originally posted by szw
    I just wouldn't mess with safety stuff, its just not worth it to me.

I've never been in a car with a racing harness, does it just strap you in, and doens't have any slack before it locks? Or are they always 'locked' and keep you pinned into your seat?
    they are supposed to be worn tight, they do not have any slack so you arent going anywhere, it doesnt stop your head from going forward however...

Red Deer, AB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast