Quantcast
Tips on gaining mass? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips on gaining mass?

My Ride
    '92 gti

Question Tips on gaining mass?

Hey, I am a 18 year old tall(6,2) skinny(155 lbs) white boy lol. I have a high metabolism, I can eat anything all day and not gain a pound, some of my friends are like this too. Does anybody have any tips, workout routines or good websites to visit. I don't want to be fat, just gain some muscle mass. Thanks alot.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

you work your muscles hard to gain more mass. so work with something you can do like 5-10 reps with, and do 2 or 3 sets.

My Ride
    91 civic si/91 crx si

Default hey

pump the juice and eat your vitamins haha

The most important thing is protein, you have to understand your muscle is made up of structural protein. So in order to gain more muscle you need to increase your protein intake.

Most important factor to muscle gain is the 20 minutes after your last set after you finish excercising. You have a 20 minute window where any protein you put into your body will automatically be used to increase your muscle mass. (i.e. eat meat meat meat, or sometimes protein bars (although not the best /healthiest source of protein) if you are on the go.

Eat carbs before you workout (natural sugars like in fruits, real fruit juice, rice, bread etc...) and eat protein AFTER workout.

You have to eat specifacally, not just anything and everything.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by BigH
    The most important thing is protein, you have to understand your muscle is made up of structural protein. So in order to gain more muscle you need to increase your protein intake.

Most important factor to muscle gain is the 20 minutes after your last set after you finish excercising. You have a 20 minute window where any protein you put into your body will automatically be used to increase your muscle mass. (i.e. eat meat meat meat, or sometimes protein bars (although not the best /healthiest source of protein) if you are on the go.

Eat carbs before you workout (natural sugars like in fruits, real fruit juice, rice, bread etc...) and eat protein AFTER workout.

You have to eat specifacally, not just anything and everything.
    You have it semi-right. A lot of people suggest consuming protein before working out along with a high glycemic carb. A carb with a high GI will give you a quick energy boost and will prevent protein in your body from being synthesized for energy. High GI carbs will also provide you with an insulin spike that can be very beneficial in the absorbtion of creatine if you choose to use such a supplement. There is no '20 minute' window although BigH is right that you want to get protein in your body for while your muscles recover. You will want to avoid casein (milk protein) as it is absorbed more slowly than whey mixed with water for example. Good foods to eat include tuna, chicken, lean beef, rice, potatoes, beans, pasta, bread, and of course your fruits and veggies. The key for someone looking to bulk up is to eat A LOT.
    Also, when you're lifting try going heavy and intense. Start with the general 8-12 reps/3-4 set routine and then after you have made some good gains try a 5x5 heavy routine for a couple of weeks. Check out www.wannabebigforums.com and do some research there and then come back and ask some more specific questions once you have gained some basic knowledge.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

If your into hittin' the gym and working out. Have a protien shake after your workout, like BigH said you have a short window. I also recommend that you take a shake right beforfe you sleep.

Your muscles do most of the repair, the damage you did during excercise, at night. So having protien in your system before you sleep will allow you to feed them. Also, try to eat every 6 hours or less. After six hours w/o food, your body switches to internal sources for energy and protein is the first on the list.....namely your muscles.

GL
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    1996 Honda Civic Si

I always heard that eating mostly anything, especially proteins like any kind of nuts, right before you go to sleep helps to gain some weight...I

My Ride
    bmw m3

hey 1-bar how much do u weigh.

Yea im tring wit a weight gainer be4 bed.

HIgh in carbs n calories

Default Re: Tips on gaining mass?

Originally posted by Delta
    Hey, I am a 18 year old tall(6,2) skinny(155 lbs) white boy lol. I have a high metabolism, I can eat anything all day and not gain a pound, some of my friends are like this too. Does anybody have any tips, workout routines or good websites to visit. I don't want to be fat, just gain some muscle mass. Thanks alot.
    hey you sound like me! lol i was 6,1 at 159 pounds, by taking 3 protien shakes a day N large brand, and eating 4-5 meals while taking loaded creatine, i got up to 185 pounds in 4 months were not hopeless it just takes a hell of alot more work... as well i was working out 5 times a week.... hope that helps, i as well have an insane metabolizm thats why i had to eat so much... but now from not eating as much through the summer i only weigh 170 now....

btw pm me if you have any questions

My Ride
    bmw m3

I think age has alot to do wit it. Ur metablism is very fast when your younger . Once ur over 21 Starts to slow down thats when you start puttin on size.

How many 18 year olds r 200 pounds all muscle.

My Ride
    Impreza RS

If you wanna get into the specifics...

I assumed you're moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days a week). To gain 1 pound a week you'll need 3365 calories a day. You'll also want a little bit over 155g protein a day. Go to www.fitday.com to find out your nutrient breakdown.

A good ratio for bulking is 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat. 50/30/20 is fine as well. Fitday will calculate what your ratios are at.

Don't hate the skinny genes, they come in handy. I was 5'10" 130ish lbs in March, now I'm getting close to 165. I'm starting to notice a belly, plus a bit of fat around the waist. When the time comes to lose all this fat and get ripped, it'll be really easy for someone with skinny genetics.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '92 gti

Thanks alot everybody, now I'm gunna eat right and drag my lazy ass to the gym and get down to business.

My Ride
    firebird

Here is an excellent article on what to eat and when to eat it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    E30325is

eat a cake a day!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by NiteRider
    eat a cake a day!
    only if it's a tuna and oat cake.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

its hard man, take it from another skinny guy trying to gain mass...i got so excited when i gained 5 lbs though...lol

My Ride
    Impreza RS

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    its hard man, take it from another skinny guy trying to gain mass...i got so excited when i gained 5 lbs though...lol

Yeah man it can be pretty tough, but it's addictive once you start seeing results. Imagine seeing that 5 lbs gain every month, makes the effort not so bad
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2000 Jetta

Originally posted by NiteRider
    eat a cake a day!
    a cake a day keeps the doctor away

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by civic_rida
    hey 1-bar how much do u weigh.

Yea im tring wit a weight gainer be4 bed.

HIgh in carbs n calories
    155lbs now....165lbs peak (2 years ago working out everyday)
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast