Quantcast
Honda Prelude 01: Rattling Noise when taking off. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Honda Prelude 01: Rattling Noise when taking off.

Default Honda Prelude 01: Rattling Noise when taking off.

Hi,

However, I have a noise problem on my 2001 Prelude SH. It started recently about a month ago or so. The car has about 20K miles on it and is still under manufacture's warranty. When it takes off from a complete stop, there is a noise in which I hear coming from under the hood. I'm not sure if that would be from clutch or not. It sounds like "tuk, tuk," 2-3 times and goes away after the car speeds up. Nothing vibrates at all.

I can reproduce this problem about 70 percent of the time. If I drive for 10 mins, turn it off for 10-15 minutes, and then drive out, it will make that noise clearly including from the reverse gear which could be 4-5 times in a row.

I took it to my mechanic (not a Honda dealer's service shop) and test drove with him, it didn't make a sound after 10 minutes drive, stop and go. so he was not sure what it was. He took a good look under the body, shook things up, and tightened up most of the bolts. It still makes the noise.

I'm sure if I could take it to a Honda dealer to check. The problem is if it doesn't happen when they check it, then they would charge me for dianostics since they couldn't reproduce the noise.

I would appreciate any advices you guys may have about the noise and/or how to deal with it.

Thanks a lot,
    Ted

My Ride
    98' DC2 & 06 DC5S

I think i may have had the same problem, mine would make a loose screw noise or a tin rattling noise when the engine is stressed or mid range RPMS. It turned out to be rocks or pebbles stuck in my heat sheild covering my exshaust pipe below the shifter, by the CAT.
    I have a 98 integra, i hope i helped.
    -darren

My Ride
    a wrx.

haha tuk-tuk's are pretty noisy beasts:

anyway, try wiggling your heatshields thru the exhaust system to see if u can find anything loose.

Thank you for the info. However, mine doesn't make any noise at all once the car accelerates above 10 MPH. It's only make a noise, when I turn on the engine and drive off from a parking lot (< 3 MPH), and it doesn't happen every time either. The noise seems to come from somewhere near the axle. In fact, it sounds more solid than that of something rattling inside. At what spped did yours make the noise? Could it still be coming from the heat shild?

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

have you checkd your cv boots? maybe your axles are going?

My Ride
    335i

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

My bet is on the engine mounts, however. It seems unlikely that they'd be gone so quickly, but my exact TukTuk problem (and at the same time, a rocking from the inertia of the engine) was rectified after I fixed the worn mounts.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

The CV Boots are still good. I had 18,000 miles service about a month ago, and my mechanic just looked it up again last week. The pipe is original.

Weapon_R or anybody, please tell me a bit more about the noise that you had. I'd like to know if that could be a similar symptom. Also, if it was a worn mount issue, would this be covered under Honda's manufacturer's warranty? My car still has the warranty. How much would a mechanic shop charge to fix this. Thanks

i have a 1999 prelude and for some reason its makin more of a rubbin noise for me. im guess its the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate or even some loose belt. The noise occurs only in first gear when taking off ( low rpms) if anybody has info on this it would be greatly appreciated as well.
    thanx

My Ride
    335i

The mount noise is sort of like a "clunk, clunk" or so. Not really metal-like, but similar. It's worth a try to swap in some mount inserts, as they help with your launches. They are only about $60.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    The mount noise is sort of like a &quot;clunk, clunk&quot; or so. Not really metal-like, but similar. It's worth a try to swap in some mount inserts, as they help with your launches. They are only about $60.
    Do you have to lift the engine to install the inserts?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    335i

Yes, you have to loosen the mounts and lower the engine a few inches to get the old mounts out.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

On my 92 lude, the pass. side hood hinge rattles ...

It rattles doing over bumps in an alley, at idle (with ES inserts) and sometimes with the bass of ster0 ...

could be worth looking into ?
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

If we could come back to the original post a bit, which one could be the root cause of the 'tuk, tuk' noise when my car takes off from a complete stop? Heat shiled, exhaust, or clutch?

I also notice that the noise comes when parking with hand brake on. Please advise.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

have you tried listening with the hood open whilst in reverse? In a large abandonned parking lot, try at night so you dont look like a moron :P Also, try with the hood open - as well - have the car sit there and rev it low for a bit, then higher and higher - the engine'll shake the car and it could be something like that, a loose bolt somewhere rattlin'

Also it could be what you're driving over..? if its graval or something
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a &quot;no homo&quot; somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

I have the same problem...I bring to honda dealer, and they claimed that the noise came from the ABS. Most of 2001 lude have the same problem. That's what they told me.

My apology to make this a lengthy discussion. I'd like to find out what the problem really is to fix the annoying noise and for safety reasons.

I don't quite believe the Honda dealer that says it's normal for '01 Prelude with this noise. Could anybody confirm that?

I'll try the tip that ex1z7 suggested. A few things I just noticed recently:

1. I started the car and let it roll downhill a bit in a neutral gear and no clutch pedal press. The noise occured. But it only happens when the car first moves out from a complete park with engine off position for a while.
    2. When the car is parked (engine off), if I press my hands on the hood (driver side, like pressing to check the suspension bounces), then I can hear the crank noise but only one time, and it's gone. I can reproduce this noise every time after waiting for 15 minutes or so and do it again. The noise isn't the same as the first, but very similar.

Could both noise be coming from the same source?