Quantcast
twincharging? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: twincharging?

My Ride
    1988 MR2 supercharged t/t

Default twincharging?

i knoe all the parts i need its just that i am poor so i will be buying part by part if anyone knows what i should buy first and and so on pls help!

My Ride

Motor:
    • 1.7 Liters Port and Polish
    • JE Pistons 8:1
    • O-ringed block
    • Chrome Rings
    • Hi-temp coating on pistons
    • Shotpeened and polished rods
    • Valve job (On Serdi 100)
    • HKS Cams (256 degrees)
    • HKS Adjustable Cam Gears
    • HKS SC Pulley
    • TRD Motor Mounts
    • Blueprinted Stock Oilpump
    • All Oil passages ported
    • HKS racing Bypass valve to divert air around the SC
    Turbo:
    • TO4B H3 Compressor Wheel
    • T3 Turbine Housing
    • Zen Blow-off Valve
    • Turbonetics MBC
    Intake:
    • K&N Filter on Turbo Inlet
    Exhaust:
    • Custom Full 3" Exhaust
    • Dynomax muffler
    Intercooler:
    • Spearco Liquid-2-Air. Radiator in Front, Heat Exchanger in stock IC location. Pump located under heat exchanger
    Engine Management:
    • SDS (Installed by Blanchard Performance)
    • 550cc Injectors
    • Bosch High Flow Fuel Pump
    • J&S Knockgaurd (1st gen black box)
    Ignition:
    • MSD 6A MSD
    • Blaster 2 Coil
    • Magnecore Wires
    • Marc Summer's modified cap

My Ride
    Subaru GR

wow....that's quite the list. If your poor I would not suggest you attemp this. Anything HKS or TRD is expensive. If it were me, I would buy the stuff you can sell of fairly easily in case your project doesn't work out, ie. the turbo.

BTW did you rip this off of someone else's setup???
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    Toyota

ya that is so some one elses set up, i doubt u can dupicate it even if u have the, money proably too that guy along time to turn it, i suggest ebay parts risky but cheaper the new, 80% of that stuff on the list u dont need, u have low comp pistons already, get a turbo manifold and a cheap turbo pipe it into the intake side do the exhaust side, dump more fuel in with piggy back fmu or raising rate pressure regulator/ injectors/ fuel pump.. and u should be able to get it run, alot of calcucaltion need to be fiugure out its not just bold on, most of those part liek the pistons and machine work just are to back up the block by strenghting it, which should be done, but take time and money, proably be cheaper just to blow this block up and keep buying new ones, there are alotof limitation to boosting the 4a since only 1600cc dont expect big power and even if u can u are comprimising sometihng else, the 1.7 strocker kit is super rare another choice would be a 7a block whihc is a 1.8 but not as good as the gze block.... i think u should just leave it stock
    Eric

My Ride

Originally posted by 1-Bar
    wow....that's quite the list. If your poor I would not suggest you attemp this. Anything HKS or TRD is expensive. If it were me, I would buy the stuff you can sell of fairly easily in case your project doesn't work out, ie. the turbo.

BTW did you rip this off of someone else's setup???
    i have always wanted a twincharged mr2 so if money is an issue i will have to skip a meal or two. i found i found this setup at http://www2.msstate.edu/~sgn1/MR2/mkimod.htm check it out it has alot of sick mr2

For the cost of all those parts you could buy a reasonably good shape MKII T. Sell your MK for some parts and totally kill any thing you could do with your MKI.

There really aren't many mods that make sence on the MK1.

Improve the exaust
    Improve the intake
    SC pulleys

Would be my first 3 steps.

My Ride
    Public Transit

How and where did you manage to get yourself a turbo manifold for your car?

I'm currently still looking for one. Thanks!

My Ride

Originally posted by bcrdukes
    How and where did you manage to get yourself a turbo manifold for your car?

I'm currently still looking for one. Thanks!
    look at the HKS web site

My Ride
    Public Transit

^
    They don't make one for the AW11 4A-GZE, unfortunately.

They do, however, make one for the AE86 4A-GE which has an overhead manifold design.

It won't fit the 4A-GZE unless you want to hack out portions of your firewall.

My Ride
    Public Transit

Oh by the way,

What will you be using to control the sequential timing and bypass of the supercharger and turbocharger (and vice versa?)

I think that'll be a bit of a toughie for you.
    Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-27-2004 at 05:08 PM.

how much are you looking to spend for the turbo manifold??
    and what size turbo are you wanting to use. i know of 2 manifolds one uses a t25/t28 and the other a t3

My Ride
    Public Transit

^
    I'm looking for a T25 manifold

My Ride

i have been doing my homework and i found out that hks makes a twincharging kit for the 4agze

here what i have found...
    The Super Charger has 145HP(8,0:1) or 165HP(8,9:1comp), also here is the home market the lucky one with the NICEST 165HP and US with the cat. has "only" 145HP edition. The engine has allot of upgrade possibilities and from HKS you can get oversize crankshaft pulley, stroker kit and Twin charger turbo kit. I have hear that this can give you 400HP but I don't know it is truth. The internal different between 4A-GE and the SC are the block has been strengthened, dished forged pistons, increased connecting rod journal diameter from 40 to 42mm and the piston pin diameter are changed from 18mm to 20mm.
    also if you guys want you can check out http://www2.msstate.edu/~sgn1/MR2/mkimod.htm
    this website has some sick mr2 you can also check out http://home.c2i.net/tbhoff/Car-site/...ne/Engines.htm

so i have come to the conclusion that it would be better to get a 4agze and twin it than to get a 20 valve and turbo i would still like you guys opinion cuz i still have a couple of weeks befor i make my mind and thanks for all you help

My Ride
    Public Transit

^
    HKS discontinued the Twincharged kit since 1990. They don't make it anymore and will not make it anymore.

Did you know the kit costed somewhere near $6000USD when it first came out? :tongue:

Oh, also, the 4A-GZE pistons are only semi-forged. The twincharged kit puts out an average of 350hp.

The 165hp engine is the JDM MAP based system.

I'd personally turbo the 4A-GZE or the 20v 4A-GE. This twincharging kit is too much of a headache.

Turbocharging is a lot easier and simpler and allows more room for customization. You can achieve the same amount of power with just a turbocharger, cams, upgraded wastegate, fuel pressure regulator, and some fuel management.

Then again, if you're able to carry out this project, that'd be awesome.
    Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-28-2004 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride
    Public Transit

I'm actually ripping my engine out next month for a nice rebuild and turbo conversion.

There's a guy on MR2OC.com who pulled 350whp (that's about 420hp) with just a T3/4 hybrid, HKS 256 and 272 cams and stock crank with Megasquirt EFI controller.

That setup costed more than half of the twincharge kit. Pretty cool, huh?

My Ride

Originally posted by bcrdukes
    ^
    HKS discontinued the Twincharged kit since 1990. They don't make it anymore and will not make it anymore.

Did you know the kit costed somewhere near $6000USD when it first came out? :tongue:

Oh, also, the 4A-GZE pistons are only semi-forged. The twincharged kit puts out an average of 350hp.

The 165hp engine is the JDM MAP based system.

I'd personally turbo the 4A-GZE or the 20v 4A-GE. This twincharging kit is too much of a headache.

Turbocharging is a lot easier and simpler and allows more room for customization. You can achieve the same amount of power with just a turbocharger, cams, upgraded wastegate, fuel pressure regulator, and some fuel management.

Then again, if you're able to carry out this project, that'd be awesome.
    so you think i should turbo the 20 valve or twin the 4agze? do you know where you can find a twincharging kit??????

My Ride
    '15 GTI

all twincharged setups are custom now, if i were you i would turbo the gze block, strong block/internals and ready for boost, twincharging is just a cool thing to have whereas a high boost turbo gze can make just as much power and probably more reliably

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    all twincharged setups are custom now, if i were you i would turbo the gze block, strong block/internals and ready for boost, twincharging is just a cool thing to have whereas a high boost turbo gze can make just as much power and probably more reliably

there was/is a twin charged ae-86 on this site, you might want to try and find out more about that car if you REALLY want to twin charge your car
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Public Transit

Originally posted by MR.TWO

so you think i should turbo the 20 valve or twin the 4agze? do you know where you can find a twincharging kit??????
    Well, if you already have a 4A-GZE, just use that. No need to buy a 20v 4A-GE.

You can't find the twincharge kit anymore. Like somebody just said earlier, its all custom and beleive me, it's a nightmare.

Go with a turbo. Saves you the headache and time...oh and money.

My Ride

i have a 4age engin in my car right now 300 000 km and still running strong but i am scared that its going to die so i am going to swap. so ithink the twincharging is out of the question but do i get the gze or the 20 valve i going to turbo...

bcrdukes thanks for all the help i was wondering if i could be their when you start to rebuild your engin?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast