Quantcast
Cell Phone Plans - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Plans

Default Cell Phone Plans

My cellphone contract with Rogers is up in a week here and I'm eager to get rid of this POS Nokia 3360...

Who's got the best deal going right now?

I don't mind Rogers all that much, as long as the next phone I buy has waay better reception than this pos 3360. My last motorola had so much more range than this peice of crap

I don't want to spend more then $60 a month this time around.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

how much do you use your phone? Do you want free eve and weekends? do you want voice mail, call display?

WHat are you looking for in a cellphone, that will better guage the plans from each compnay, as ome have better for somethings and some have better for others.
    Travel

Ideally:

300 weekday minutes
    unlimited evenings and weekends

voice mail is a definatly plus although not needed, as is call display, a plus, but i'm not going to pay extra for it

cellphone wise i want a flip out, I miss my old motorola timeport, i like the v60 a lot, although it's a little pricey.

ROGERS
    its hardly the phone, the service is
    they are better for rates but they drop calls like a mofo

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

keep going w/ Rogers and keep the plan!! or they are going to charge you by the minutes! not sec!!!

But a good flip phone right now is the samsung one by Telus that just just came out. Or theLG one too, extremely good for its price.. but charge by the min...

My Ride
    BMW E70

Telus is all billed my the minute too...Unless you are on an existing contract. I think they switched a few months from per second. If network is fairly important, check out Telus, they have the best network. I don't have a book with all the plans with me, but when my other phone was up for renewal I got a book with like 9 or 10 different service plans in it.

I also remember reading somewhere that the small voicemail box (3 whopping messages) is included for new telus plans.

depends on your need of the phone, to break it down, rogers/fido has the best phones and will continue to have the best phones for awhile as they operate on gSM, ie the v70, t68i, some pretty neat phones but the drawback is the service is a bitch . . . not only outside of the city but you get lots of dropped calls in the city too, ie edgemont, rogers just adopted the GSM service and in time their service will expand nation wide, as far as I know right now, GSM is offered in all cities and select communities, like banff has service in the townsite but 2 minutes out, you're cut, i love being able to change different phones just by switching sim cards and also rogers has phones that can be used worldwide . . . telus/bell on the other hand have good service throughout but imo, their phones suck ass, just not as cool to use and very cheap in terms of quality . . . but some good features too, bell has the unlimited weekend long distance for $5/month which is awesome if you talk long distance . . . all in all, it's up to you on what you're going for, one word of advice, unless you're the type to not care abotu technology and having the newest phone and stuff, dont' sign up on anything longer than a year

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Actually through a study Bell mobility has the least amount of dropped calls by far and has the most advanced setup network in canada.

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

Roger's signal can get pretty shitty, when my mom came to U of A campus last Fri, she had no signal what so ever on her 8390 even when she's outside..

I saw a nice phone the other day....

Apparently it's a bell, but it's a flip phone and has a bright bright blue LCD screen w/ back lit blue buttons.

You can't miss it, so bright even in day light.

I really want to know what that phone is. So pimp
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

ive never had bad reception problems with my Nokia 3360, dam its never droped a call, and when signal get low it just switches to analoge.. dont all nokia 3360 have this?

rogers is alright, i havent delt with any other phone companys so i wouldnt really know

if you want there plans and rates just go to www.rogers.ca

My Ride
    Honda

I pay $20 a month.
    -100 weekday minutes.
    -free evenings and weekends.

Works for me, being a student I dont even use my weekday minutes hardly.

My Ride
    bus

hey ninjak84, is that roger plan???
    ?????

My Ride
    Honda

Nope, Telus.

My Ride
    bus

is that an old plan or something?

I can't find that in the telus mobility page.
    ?????

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

im w/ Telus..
    using the "big Deal" or watever its call
    25 a month including 100 weekdays and unlimited weekends... ..

My Ride
    Honda

Hmm...
    It isn't really an odd plan, but I've been on it for about a year, so maybe they don't offer it anymore...?

Originally posted by bol
    Ideally:

300 weekday minutes
    unlimited evenings and weekends

voice mail is a definatly plus although not needed, as is call display, a plus, but i'm not going to pay extra for it

cellphone wise i want a flip out, I miss my old motorola timeport, i like the v60 a lot, although it's a little pricey.
    You could pick up a v60 GSM version off ebay for pretty cheap and use fido on their $45/month plan which includes 300 weekday minutes, 1000 weekend minutes (pretty much unlimited as it is per second), call waiting, call forwarding, conference calling, internet access, all billed by the second starting right away (not just after the first minute).

OR

you could get an unlocked CDMA version of the v60 and use it on a month to month contract on Bell or Telus both of which will give you excellent coverage

On telus the closest month to month non contract plan that meets your need would be the Talk 50 for $50/month which includes 500 weekday minutes, voicemail, call waiting and conference calling. Unlimited evenings and weekends costs an extra $25 though.

Fido offers more value, but I would check how coverage is in the areas you frequent. In outerlying areas coverage is not too great when you go into the basement. Telus costs a bit more for what you want, but their coverage is excellent both in the city and while on the highways.

If you plan on using your phone primarily in the city then coverage should be acceptable. I have no trouble on Fido with my 8390, but on my v70 coverage is a bit shaky when I go into Woodbine.

Sign up for fido and try it out for 15 days, you can get 100% refund no questions asked allowing you to test out their network.
    ---

My Ride
    335i

Rogers has a plan where you pay $45/month and you get Unlimited Evenings and Weekends, and 300 weekday mins. Not a bad deal, since you already have the phone and don't have to pay for an activation fee.

With telus, you'd have to:

Buy a new phone
    Sign a new contract
    Pay the activation

It might work better for you to stay where you are!
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

The only times i get bad reception is when im in basements, im with Telus, I pay $35 a month voicemail,caller ID, Free evening/weekends and 50 anytime minutes, except i go over that usually, i normally pay $50/month
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast