Quantcast
SAIT's Automotive Service Technology course - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SAIT's Automotive Service Technology course

My Ride
    90hp beast

Originally posted by dj_rice
    After graduating from his 1st year from Automotive, my friend got a job as a journeymen mechanic at Sunridge Nissan

Hugh?? You cant be talking about me are you??? Because I thought I was the only person from Sait that went there.. I'm still trying to put real names and faces with the peeps on this board. Oh well.. Yep they started me out at $9.90 an hour. But from my point of view they could have been more professional and organized as a dealership. I think I've been spoiled working at firms in the past.

Originally posted by rio_rex
    I was seriously thinking of taking saits automotive service course next year! But after hearing all of you people's comments on it...it sounds like crap....am i ever glad i read this thread!
    I took AST because I thought It would be a good idea to start up a shop. But I found it didn't give me a chance to work with my hands (artist style) as much as I wanted to.. It was screw this unscrew that. So I'm going to hit up and autobody shop and start there (probably start out as a shop rat)

As for the AST thing. I think it's kinda pricey.. But the course is very informative.. I thought I knew stuff about cars.. But they actually go into detail on how stuff works and why... They show you the right way of doing things.. But you will never employ these techniques in the real world..

Any more questions about the AST course give me a message

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

Damn.. what's an average salary for an auto mechanic? If that 10-12/hr is avg,

My Ride
    90hp beast

Originally posted by Kid_a
    Damn.. what's an average salary for an auto mechanic? If that 10-12/hr is avg,

It's a huge range depending on dealerships..

Let's see the lowest is around $24 and the highest I've seen is like $45.. Dont quote me though. .that's off the top of my head.. Can anyone else confirm these numbers

My Ride
    car

Originally posted by blinkme_210
    Sorry man, I didn't mean to say it negatively. But I'm just saying, don't apprentice as an automotive service tech expecting to modify cool cars daily at work, that's all :tongue:
    No need to apoligize like any job theres always good and bad things to it. I understand that with any job...especially a trades related job, everybody has to start from the bottom and work their way up. But it would be very nice to work on cool "modded" car all day...if only the world was so perfect, lol. But this brings up a question i'v aways had...how do those F1 Pit crew guys, and their techs ever get into those positions?? I'm guessing its prob just as hard to get into it as is becoming a "succesful" actor in hollywood for example.

Originally posted by Ichigo
    I took AST because I thought It would be a good idea to start up a shop. But I found it didn't give me a chance to work with my hands (artist style) as much as I wanted to.. It was screw this unscrew that. So I'm going to hit up and autobody shop and start there (probably start out as a shop rat)
    the only difference between autoservice and autobody is instead of screw this and unscrew that, in autobody it's gonna be sand this and mask that. unless you know people that specialize, you're screwed. the 1st and 2nd year in autobody are basically just a formality. you dont do anything but prep and mask.

Originally posted by Ichigo

It's a huge range depending on dealerships..

Let's see the lowest is around $24 and the highest I've seen is like $45.. Dont quote me though. .that's off the top of my head.. Can anyone else confirm these numbers
    A lot of mechanics say that they make for example, $30 hour, even though their work is flat rate. A 4 hour job that pays $120, which is in essence $30/hour, that is if they do finish it within the 4 hours.

Like it's been said before, it's all based on flat rate which goes by the book. When I was apprenticing, there was this old timer that could completely rebuild an engine in 8 hours, but was given 20 hours by the book. So in essence, he made X amount of extra money.

Default F1 Pit crews

Originally posted by rio_rex

But this brings up a question i'v aways had...how do those F1 Pit crew guys, and their techs ever get into those positions?? I'm guessing its prob just as hard to get into it as is becoming a "succesful" actor in hollywood for example.

I believe that it's a bit of luck, but also keep in mind that most of the pit crew people have advanced engineering or physics degrees from places like MIT. That and they need reflexes like Neo.
    Shut up and race!

My Ride
    350Hp Ford 302 powered Volvo 740 Turbo

I graduated AST back in 1979 and maybe I can clarify some misconceptions. First off the AST program is an excellent program, when completed you will receive the exact same trade certification as completing the apprenticeship program. Yes you also have an AST diploma which is an added benefit if you move away form the automotive industry and into another field.

Starting off, as an apprentice can be a rough ride, finding that first job with a company that wants to hire a 1st year can be difficult, then most often you are sweeping floors, changing tires and doing crap jobs. With the AST program you have greater skills right off the start and walk into jobs easier and usually starting with more technical jobs. Employers are looking for a return on their investment, the sooner an employee is able to generate a profit the sooner your salary will increase. The apprenticeship board regulates wage scale and employers must follow it, if they don’t a simple phone call will correct the oversight.

Yes the AST program contains a lot of theory, in fact twice as much as the apprenticeship program. I personally found this to be a great advantage because you understand the systems and component interactions better, it greatly aids in diagnosis.

As a trade being a mechanic is not the highest paying trade, nor is it the most respected, but it is an honest living that you can make a very comfortable living at.
    Volvord 784VC
    www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord

My Ride
    90hp beast

Originally posted by Volvord 784VC

Starting off, as an apprentice can be a rough ride, finding that first job with a company that wants to hire a 1st year can be difficult, then most often you are sweeping floors, changing tires and doing crap jobs.
    Lot's of dealerships are now looking for AST graduates now.

yeah they do. if you're an AST they'll pick you over some bottom-barrel guy... but you're still gonna be sweeping floors, changing tires, doing crap jobs, etc etc.

thats life. show them you can do more and you get treated with more respect.

My Ride
    S5 FC3S

Anyone on here in the H.E.T. (Heavy Equipment Tech) program?
    I just started my 1st year this sept...

I graduated AST back in 1979 and maybe I can clarify some misconceptions. First off the AST program is an excellent program, when completed you will receive the exact same trade certification as completing the apprenticeship program. Yes you also have an AST diploma which is an added benefit if you move away form the automotive industry and into another field.

Starting off, as an apprentice can be a rough ride, finding that first job with a company that wants to hire a 1st year can be difficult, then most often you are sweeping floors, changing tires and doing crap jobs. With the AST program you have greater skills right off the start and walk into jobs easier and usually starting with more technical jobs. Employers are looking for a return on their investment, the sooner an employee is able to generate a profit the sooner your salary will increase. The apprenticeship board regulates wage scale and employers must follow it, if they don�t a simple phone call will correct the oversight.

Yes the AST program contains a lot of theory, in fact twice as much as the apprenticeship program. I personally found this to be a great advantage because you understand the systems and component interactions better, it greatly aids in diagnosis.

As a trade being a mechanic is not the highest paying trade, nor is it the most respected, but it is an honest living that you can make a very comfortable living at.
    I can vouch for the rat of the shop , I would have continued my 3 week trial but I just couldn't get over to the shop ontime because I didn't drive so now I am lookign to restart my 1st year apprenticeship In Late Jan/early Feb and just keep going. , By the time I am out of Grade 12 I want to take the AST program at SAIT for those exact reasosn, the theory, yah its boring as hell, but when you know it, god does it make work so much easier then guessing this and guessing that and asking this and asking that.

If it takes me 3 years of apprenticeship, 2 years of AST at SAIT and being a rat for 2-3 of those years, I will do it, I'm too much of a hands on type of guy, desk work is just nto appleaing to me and I fall asleep doing other jobs, plus theirs nothign better then having a problem car come in, stump u, then you fix it and have that thign running better then before, it isn't about the money its about the job at task. If you are lookign for a well paying job go into somethign Optical or IT becuase people will be needing alot of you in the future with all the advancements.

I don't know what I just said really but thats my statement

o and I just picked up the Fall 2004 SAIT book so if someone wants me to scan the AST page in and the Apprenticeship page in for AST from that book, just let me know and I will do it when I get this stupid scanner working again.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Originally posted by SAiamNE
    Anyone on here in the H.E.T. (Heavy Equipment Tech) program?
    I just started my 1st year this sept...
    I did Heavy Duty for a while, and it was alright. Decided to get into automotives to try it out. HET however, starting from the bottom ladder is very true you get shit jobs after shit jobs until you can prove to them that you are willing to learn, and have the right attitude then obviously they will move you up when the time is right. Myself having lifted extremely heavy parts from brake drums, leaf springs makes automotives weaksauce! haha Also, dropping an 800 pound 18 spd transmission is really scary!

My Ride
    08 Acura CSX-S Gone:1991 DSM Laser / '96 VW Jetta

I am currently taking the 1st year AST course and am quite enjoying it. I heard a lot of discouraging stuff before taking the course and was considering not taking it. But I am glad I did, the course is awesome and so are the teachers.

Originally posted by Ben
    It's probably a course for people that already love to tinker and fix cars, but need certification. I can see it being useful for that, because theyre ARE people out there who arn't in it for the cash.
    I agree with this working on cars can be very frusterating but I also gives you a great sense of accomplishment once you've figured it out and repaired the problem. Sometime getting dirty makes the job all that better, because at the end of the day it makes you feels good.

Starting off, as an apprentice can be a rough ride, finding that first job with a company that wants to hire a 1st year can be difficult, then most often you are sweeping floors, changing tires and doing crap jobs. With the AST program you have greater skills right off the start and walk into jobs easier and usually starting with more technical jobs. Employers are looking for a return on their investment, the sooner an employee is able to generate a profit the sooner your salary will increase. The apprenticeship board regulates wage scale and employers must follow it, if they don�t a simple phone call will correct the oversight.

I also agree with you, the theory classes are such a great experience and once you've gone over "how it works" in class you can then go down to the shop and apply it to what your working on. Its a great setup. I am loving it.

My Ride
    Prelude

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).
    To Drive Or To Be Driven.... That Is The Question!

SpeedStar,

Wanna tell us more about what your doing and how the teachers/learnign experience is there?

My Ride
    99 Integra GSR

I just finished my second year at sait, as for the teachers they are from my exp. great if you show intrest they will always go the extra mile for you.

Cool, i was wondering, if you guys have this stuff right now, i missed the career night thing SAIT had so I was wondering if one of you guys could ask one of your teachers if I could come in liek friday afternoon and check it out and watch you guys for abit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2