Quantcast
Ideal Weight? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Weight?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Default Ideal Weight?

I'm just wondering if my height/weight ratio is up to standard.
    I'm 5"10 and 152 pounds. I'm on the lean athletic built side, but am looking to gain a few more pounds (hit around 160, or close to). What're the best ways to do this?
    I have broader than average shoulders, so I might look a little skinner than I really am because the "fat" is more spread out along my torso.

Calculate your BMI (body mass index). Google can find you BMI calculators. BMI in low 20s is good.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

i'm at exactly 22 BMI.

My Ride
    X5

I ran your numbers through a couple of BMi calculators, it seems you might be slightly underweight, but then again maybe not b/c like you said, your broader than the average person.

For gaining a few more pounds, just work out more with weights and a little bit less cardio activity than you usually do....I think that should work since you only want to gain a few pounds

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

the calculator I used said the ideal weight is between 18.6 and 24.9. seems I am right in the middle of that index.
    well whether I am underweight or not, I'd still like to gain around 5-8 pounds . i'll start working out more.
    anyone suggest diets/routines?

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

I find that the BMI calculator is not really that accurate. I am 6"1' and I weight 225 lbs. Which puts me on borderline obese. *Looks Down* well maybe a couple of extra pounds but not obese by any means. I think that there are better ways of seeing if you are overweight/underweight or not.

hmmm 17
    and under 18.5 is underweight

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

So we need to fatten you up?

I got 24.4 - yay I'm normal and now I have mathematical proof.
    Last edited by 1badPT; 09-30-2004 at 06:25 PM.

My Ride
    93 Infiniti J30t

ahahaha im 24.8!
    it says im still normal but only 0.1 more and i can be overweight, sweet McDonalds here i come!
    Last edited by toyotaz23; 10-10-2004 at 02:39 PM.
    Originally posted by crazy
    Dear Silvia,

you have a wonderful car, what is it? Also, how did you put your name on the back, how much did it cost? How much do you think it would cost to put "The Crazy" on the back of my civic?...Thank You

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
    hmmm 17
    and under 18.5 is underweight
    don't worry you're not underweight.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

im at like 32 i should weigh around 180lbs, not really possible based on my build, they put certain things into consideration

BMI is crap.

It doesnt take muscle into account. It just suggests that everyone should look like the "guys" from Queer Eye

BMI is also inaccurate for Asians

Asians genetically are leaner and the height to weight ratio is completely different.

if the BMI was correct, all the girls i know would be grossly underweight

My Ride
    '07 STI

BMI is a waste of time. It should be banned. Body Fat Percentage (bpf) is the only true test of whether you are underweight or overweight... or normal. BMI doesn't take into account whether you are athletic, genetics, bone density, muscle density... the list goes on. It's mostly used by nutritionists for a very quick, rough sketch of a persons body before doing a bpf test. But, if anyone is interested in knowing their bpf, DON'T do a caliper skin fold test. Useless as well. That's where they pinch typically fatty parts of the body (under the shoulder blade, tricep area, and over your abdomen) and get these mm measurements which convert into a formula to give a bpf. The problem is that it totally relies on the skill of the person doing it. And of course, the next time the go to do it, they'd have to be on the exact same locations on your body to make sure that they get an accurate comparison from the previous test.
    The cheapest and most accurate way is the Electrical impedance test - they (lab tech, or a weight scale or little electronic device that you hold in each hand) run a current through your body and since fat is an insulator, the faster the currents reaches the other pole, the more fat you have in your body. Those tests are accurate to a couple % points. Anyway, you can buy those things pretty cheap, and even some weight scales have them built in now.
    Anyway, not to get long-winded or anything, but since this is my area, I get irritated by all these supposedly accurate tests (like the BMI) that Health Canada and some nutritionists suggest as benchmarks of where a 'normal' person should typically fall into.
    As a pro athlete, with a very low bpf, I laughed in a nutritionists face when he told me that my BMI was above normal and I should consider losing some weight. He knew a lot about dense muscle tissue . I asked him from where? My feet and hands?
    Anyway, just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in... hope it helps somebody...long-winded, I know.

My Ride
    E90 335i

I too agree that BMI is shit, some people have bigger frames than others. BMI is obviously geared for the slight build. I'm 6' but weigh 235lbs, and I like to think I'm in pretty decent shape. However according to BMI I should be dead from being morbidly obese. As Squashman said, body fat composition is a much better guage for "ideal weight". My body fat could be 10% which is phenomenal or 30% which is gross, but in both cases my BMI is still the same.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

if the BMI was correct, all the girls i know would be grossly underweight
    I would suspect that this is true. The current standards of beauty tend to hover below what is healthy for a woman.

However going solely by BMI is a waste of time as most athletes will be considered overweight.

And to answer the first question. The best way to gain mass is exercise (weights) and increase your protein intake.

Or the easy way. Lots and lots of Mcdonalds.

Originally posted by B17a
    I too agree that BMI is shit, some people have bigger frames than others. BMI is obviously geared for the slight build. I'm 6' but weigh 235lbs, and I like to think I'm in pretty decent shape. However according to BMI I should be dead from being morbidly obese. As Squashman said, body fat composition is a much better guage for "ideal weight". My body fat could be 10% which is phenomenal or 30% which is gross, but in both cases my BMI is still the same.

I'm 5'9 and weigh 190lbs, according to the BMI i should be in the hospital. It's just a guideline that people follow too closely.

My Ride
    Kompressor

I don't know about this BMI stuff, but I was always told that you should be 100 lbs when you're 5 feet, & you add 5 lbs for every inch above that...

is this normal...the girl im seeing is 5'0, 89lbs...she looks healthy...but yea is it? aha

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by B17a

hahaha, scored the same as you. I'm a pretty thick person I guess, I used to ski and mtb extensivly so I have a good muscle mass, I mean I definatly could be in much better shape, I seem to have put on a nice parka of some sort due to not being able to partake in those activities as much, yet maintaining the same diet (lots of carbs and shit for energy). = bad :tongue:

Realisticly I'd like to lose maybe 15-20 lbs, but Bulk up a lot more. I dont like being skinny, but changing from a parka to a fleece would be ok
    Woot!

Hospital Bed Ridden! W00p W00p! Rai9se the Roof! I'm Morbid!

hahaha

Fuck BMI

Anorexic Trolls

Lets see all those people I saw in Vegas take this test. they were all like 4'8"-5'6" and like 400 lbs!
    Travel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast