Quantcast
Hooking the iPod up to your car stereo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hooking the iPod up to your car stereo

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

Default Hooking the iPod up to your car stereo

I have heard that this is possible without the kit available from Apple. I have a few albums on my iPod that I'd love to have in the car, but when you burn stuff from your computer on to CD, the quality seems to be worse (or is it just me?)

Is there a way to hook the iPod up to a CD deck? Do I need a special deck, or do most modern decks have the req's "hook-ups"?

For reference: I have the Kenwood KDC-MP6025 deck, featuring..:

KEY FEATURES
    - Dual-Zone Audio Control
    - High-Pass and Low-Pass Electronic Crossovers
    - Maximum Output Power: 50 Watts x 4
    - Motorized Slide-Down Removable Faceplate with Carrying Case
    - Plays MP3 and WMA-Encoded CD-R/RWs and Conventional CD, CD-R/RW Discs
    - Preouts: Front, Rear
    - Selectable Rear/Non-Fading Preout
    - System Q Sound Control: with User Memory
    - LCD Display: High-Resolution Color, with Fluorescent Backlight

AUDIO FEATURES
    - 0-Bit Mute: Independent Left & Right Channel
    - Attenuator with Smooth Volume Return
    - Auxiliary Input
    - Dual-Zone Audio Control
    - Electronic Audio Control (Volume, Balance, Fader)
    - Front/Rear Fader
    - High-Pass Electronic Crossover: 100/125/170Hz/Through, 12dB/oct
    - Loudness Control
    - Low-Pass Electronic Crossover: 50/80/120Hz/Through, 12dB/oct
    - Preouts: Front, Rear
    - Selectable Rear/Non-Fading Preout: with ± Level Control
    - Source Tone Memory
    - System Q Sound Control: with User Memory
    - Telephone Mute
    - Tone Controls: Bass, Midrange, Treble

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/re...oductId%3D2564

would I be able to rig something up to this deck?

My Ride
    2003 Wrx, 2000 F4

I am not familiar with ipods but I thought this link might help you. link

Default Re: Hooking the iPod up to your car stereo

Originally posted by Kid_a

AUDIO FEATURES
    - Auxiliary Input
    you just need a mini plug to rca adapter it looks like a y adapter

My Ride
    G35x

Yeah thats all you need Thug!!

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

Default Re: Re: Hooking the iPod up to your car stereo

Originally posted by rahim

you just need a mini plug to rca adapter it looks like a y adapter
    I have no idea what this is, me =
    with electronics, what is it and where can I grab one? Where do I plug it in?

miniplug on one side goes in the earphone jack and rca's on the other plug into the auxilary rcas on the back of the deck. Radio shack, future shop, most electronic places should carry them and they should be cheap

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

Thanks alot, also, is it easy/safe to take the deck out? and also to reinstall.. (I got it installed at a&b sound)

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

ok I got the right cord and stuff.. now its just a matter of taking the deck out, how do I do it? Is there a clip somewhere or something?

My Ride
    G35x

Don't be dumb

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

Well shit, I found out I need some kind of key to take it out.. is there any way to get around this?

My Ride
    G35x

You know what you were arguementative with me in another thread but I'm gonna help you out anywayz cuz I'm not a hater, with some practice you might be able to get away with this using 2 butter knives. Give it a try but be patient.

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

Yeah, I've been trying that.. WeaponR is trying to tell me what to do..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

what kind of car is it?

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

it's not a stock deck, but its a 91 golf

My Ride
    firebird

Why not wait for a few weeks for the alpine ipod inerface to come out?

Then you can control the IPOD menus from the deck while it charges....and the IPOD can be in the glove box. All you need is any 2004 alpine deck. Check it out....I cant wait for it to come out.

www.alpine-usa.com

Control Within Reach.

Plugging in keeps you in control. You can quickly search and listen to your iPod tracks directly from your head unit, and even use a remote control. The power to control key playback functions is at your fingertips.

Find Your Favorites Quickly.

With any 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit, QuickSearch™ keys, and the ergonomic rotary knob make it easy and extremely convenient to search songs stored in the iPod. You can quickly search through your collection by playlist, artist, or album and find exactly what you're in the mood for. The best part is, it allows you to search for music while enjoying your current selection. When you're ready for your next hit, it's as easy as pushing in the knob.

Song Title, Artist, and Album at a Glance

With every great navigable interface like QuickSearch comes great display information. The Alpine solution displays vital information on the head unit. Identifying your next song selection is simple when you can view artist, album, and song names during playback. All Alpine displays are specifically engineered for the vehicle, and designed to be clearly visible even in direct sunlight. The high resolution, high contrast displays make the information easily viewable from any angle. One glance is all it takes to see what song is playing while you keep your focus on the road.

Get Plugged In and Charged Up.

The KCA-420i connection is designed to be a simple connection, just one plug from the interface to the head unit and iPod. No power wire connections are needed to power the KCA-420i. Better than that, it charges your iPod on your way to the slopes, beach, and any destination.

Keep It Clean, Install the KCA-420i Anywhere.

Not only is it easy to connect, you can also fit the KCA-420i under the dash, in the trunk or under the seat for mounting applications. There's no need to worry about the iPod , you can stash it in your glove compartment out of sight and out of mind. Less wires and simple storage keeps your interior clutter-free.

Turn It Up!

As with any digital music and plugged-in portable device, there's always the fear of the loss of sound quality; but not this time. Since the iPod and KCA-420i are connected directly to the head unit via our patented Ai-NET BUS, it will playback all of the music information encoded on your iPod. The great news is that 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head units are equipped with a proprietary technology which enhances sound quality and restores lost detail to compressed digital media. Alpine is always focused on improving sound performance so you can hear the difference.

Make Your Digital Music Sound Like CDs.

MediaXpander™ is an exlcusive Alpine technology that gives a significant boost to sound quality. It provides three selectable harmonic restoration modes for five sources: MP3/WMA, CD, DVD, FM and Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM). MediaXpander uses a 500Mhz processor to recreate the subtleties and nuances that make the music sound real. In essence, only Alpine allows you to make your digital media sound great.

Personalized Sound Control.

Sound customization is taken to the next level with Bass Engine™. We know that every vehicle and music taste is different, that's why Alpine gives you the ability to personalize your sound and your system. With Alpine's exclusive Bass Engine technology, you can customize the sound with EQs, crossovers, and more. The sound can be customized with special time correction technology, which ensures your seat is placed directly in the middle of the music to really bring life to your experience.

Expand Your System.

The KCA-420i can be added to any 2004 Alpine Ai-NET head unit. Now you have the option of enjoying your iPod in your car, and still use your other in-vehicle electronics applications such as a Multi-Channel 5.1 Dolby Digital® system, Satellite Radio (Sirius or XM), a CD Changer, or Navigation.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

well I already have a kenwood, and its only 2 weeks old, dont wanna get rid of it already :P

so you have to buy an Apline deck that supports AI Net, and then buy the deck for 100 bucks.. hmm..

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by Shaolin
    so you have to buy an Apline deck that supports AI Net, and then buy the deck for 100 bucks.. hmm..
    Yup...and I guess it has to be an 04 too. I know the older ones support it, but apparently only the 04s work. I got the top of the line 9835, but you can go with the basic ones I guess if you are on a budget.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Who installed your deck for you?

When you buy a deck the key's to pull it out come with it,.... you should look into that,... especially if the deck is only 2 weeks old.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

The release keys that come with the deck are about 10cm long, and like 1mm thick. Because the catch points are near the bottom of the deck. So your butter knife won't do anything because it's too thick and too short.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast