Quantcast
E36 Bmw - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: E36 Bmw

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

Default E36 Bmw

I own a 95 BMW 318i and I have some money that I would like to put into my car. I'm a little bit new to the performance aspect of vehicles as this is my first car that it's worth doing anything too. I would like to get a cold air intake but I don't know which one to get or who makes quality intakes. I would also like to put on an exhaust and maybe a performance chip. I've already installed a pretty decent stereo so I'd like to start installing some performance parts. If anybody knows anyhting about 3 series BMW's or even owns one...then some input would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Steve

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

If you wanna get parts, Tunerworks is the answer.
    Prices are great.
    As for performance parts...
    I would wait and dish out money to get a 325 engine.
    The 318 has potential but not alot of gain. IMO!

Other than that, great choice in choosing a car

yay for E36's. ^^^i agree with kaos, the 318 being the base model engine has far smaller potentail than the 2.5 or 3.0M motors.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Yeah, one of my buddies has a 318, and he put in a 325 longblock and used his 1.8L head.. (correct me if you can't do that, he did something along those lines though )
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Originally posted by ~$eanith~
    Yeah, one of my buddies has a 318, and he put in a 325 longblock and used his 1.8L head.. (correct me if you can't do that, he did something along those lines though )
    the 1.8 is a four cylinder and the 2.5 block is inline six, so it shouldnt be possible to interchange them.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ~$eanith~
    There was a guy with a 320 (I6) and bought ScCab's old 2.8L block and used the head. Is that the same guy we're talking about who got it done at Alpine?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by rage2

There was a guy with a 320 (I6) and bought ScCab's old 2.8L block and used the head. Is that the same guy we're talking about who got it done at Alpine?
    Thats the one alright
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

take a look at jim conforti intakes, sounds very throaty and nice, also take a look at some supersprints, not too loud and sounds very clean. I have a custom cat back direct bolt-on exhaust for sale, was built by the owner of minute muffler for me, i used it for less then a day, wasn't the sound i was looking for, but sounds very nice, i wanted something quiet so i went with supersprints, but the custom one i have for sale sounds very nice, but lil louder then what i wanted, i'm not sure if the custom exhaust will directly bolt on to your 318, since mines a 94' 325i, but i'm willing to sell it for cheap, job cost more then $550 to do, but will sell for $250, you can take a look at it you want or i can send you some pics of it if yer interested. You can pm me if yer interested. But for sure check out tunerwork, mark gave me amazing prices and help when i was first getting parts for mine..

My Ride
    1989 Audi 200

M50 swap, that lil 4 banger is useless unless you forcefully induct air

I LOOOOVE inline sixes but i'm more of an E30 kind of guy than a E36 kind of guy, congrats on your choice of car thoe. Bimmers are very very nice.

If you want some ideas for what forced induction can do you check out www.bimmerjim.com

Smell ya later.

_ Rasmus

On a 318 your only real option for performance is FI.

A CAI won't do anything but make your car sound like a wheezing donkey and the gains from any chip are fairly small.

Focus on suspension/handling/brakes or go FI.

Downing Atlanta makes a great supercharger for the 318's.
    http://www.downingatlanta.com/da_superchargers_new.htm

how did the 320 turn out? im very curious

anyone know where i can get m3 cams or the head from a high displacement m50 or s50 engine?

Clem is offline FLAMESFAN 4LIFE-Canes in 4
    My Ride
    Turbo AWD Sled

Engine swap is the way to go. For the money put into simple bolt ons, the gains won't be all that impressive or worthwhile IMHO.

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

Default Engine Swap

How difficult would it be for me to do an engine swap...there's no way that I'd be able to do that myself. Is it difficult to find an engine that I could drop into my car or is my best bet to sell my car and buy a 325 or trade somebody with cash

Engine swaps in these cars are fairly easy. Your best bet is to find a wrecked 325/238/M3 so that you can get all the little parts that you'll need.

but... you'll need the FULL complete engine with all the accessories, manifolds, etc. ecu and harness. transmission, rear diff(I believe the 318's is weaker), suspension to cope with the added weight, misc parts... engine mounts... etc

it add's up real quick in parts. It's often cheaper to find a wrecked car with the parts you need and swap them over...

OR... sell your car and get a 325/238/m3. Original quality without having to worry about the little problems inherit with engine swaps.

Originally posted by rage2

more info please!