Quantcast
Stupid rocks & peoples inability to transport rocks safely - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stupid rocks & peoples inability to transport rocks safely

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Default Stupid rocks & peoples inability to transport rocks safely

So I'm on my way to class today at noon, and I'm on deerfoot heading north. This day I didn't take the usual route of glenmore to crowchild but instead went towards memorial. I went this way because I was dropping something off for my friend who works downtown at CPRail. Anyways as I'm heading along deerfoot approaching Peigan trail (I'm in the far left hand lane) and I'm slowly approaching this truck (normal chevy half ton truck) in the center lane. When all of the sudden her tail gate flings open and a bunch of gravel flies out of the back. Now when I say gravel, each rock was approximately half the size of a tennis ball. And when that gravel flew out it began to literally rain rocks on my car. I tried slowing down the best I could to avoid the rocks but to no avail. Then I crossed two lanes to park on the shoulder because I had noticed that the lady driving the truck had pulled over as well. Along with my car an Acura MDX had pulled over too, apparently he was damaged as well.

She exchanged names and numbers after she inspected the cars and the damage and we headed off. I was late for class and so I was in a rush. I stupidly didn't take down her license plate or her insurance but when we were talking we said we would discuss it first before going to insurance. Anyways after 3 hours of classes I went to get it estimated at Shaw GMC for $1600 and then to A1 Autobody (referred to by Honda) for $2600. And I will be going to more places as I can during the week to find a good price.

Now through that whole time I just hoped that she was truthful enough and gave me the right number and address. And when I got home I gave the number a call and I was glad she picked up (however she was not when she found out who it was). We talked and she argued how the damage could be from other rocks, but I reminded her that her rocks were a significant size and clearly shows up on my car as significant damage. I also stated that I understand how it was bad luck but in the end I just want my car fixed and that I'm willing to do it at the best price available. I also offered to show my car to her again and gladly take it to wherever she wants me to in order to get it fixed. Because obviously in the end I just want it fixed. In the end she wanted to refer to her insurance company first and then talk to me about it. She was crying and I felt so bad. I totally understand that it was bad luck on her part, but it was also negligence on her part to do such a poor job of transporting this gravel. Now I just have to wait to get it fixed.

Damage.
    Entire windshield.
    roof
    hood
    both left and right fenders
    right side door ( as she was to the left of me in the middle lane).

Now the damage are huge dents and huge pieces of paint missing. And to top it off the windshield has the most chips and cracks I have ever seen

Sigh what's with me, my car and rocks.
    Last edited by eb0i; 09-27-2004 at 06:09 PM.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

I had a hood, front skirt, and both fenders blended and repainted and it cost a grand. so with dents $1600 seems reasonable.

But I totally know what you mean with the rocks, I was driving on glenmore in the middle lane and while overtaking a car there was a concrete truck in the left lane that suddenly dished out a good 50 rocks at my car. Luckly I filed it with the police and the construction company got me a new windshield and some cash. Hopefully this lady works out for you. Crap dropping from other vehicles should be a huge fine IMO.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

If she can't afford to pay the bill she should use insurance - that's why it's there after all...

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

I would consider going to the police and getting a accident report filed. That way they are aware of the situation and there is a paper trail in case teh lady decides she's not going to pay.

The other side of the coin is the cops may say it's your fault because you were following to close and charge you with driving with undo care and attention.

you didnt happen to get the name/number of the driver of the acura mdx too did u? cause that person would be considered a witness incase this chick with the truck denies everything

edit: id also take a swing by her house and get the liscnece plate # off her truck
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

^^^ right away !
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride

Filed a report this morning and received my damage sticker. Now I'm just waiting for the lady of the pick up truck to call me this evening. If I get no call within a few hours I will drive by her place to get the licence plate (too bad she's all the way out in Chestermere).

Hopefully everythingn works out.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Thats rough.. is your accord black with a beyond sticker on the driver side window? If so i saw it at school before it got raped
    Hopefully things are settled quickly.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Originally posted by eb0i
    Filed a report this morning and received my damage sticker. Now I'm just waiting for the lady of the pick up truck to call me this evening. If I get no call within a few hours I will drive by her place to get the licence plate (too bad she's all the way out in Chestermere).

Hopefully everythingn works out.
    Don't take your car to any shop that she chooses, as you stated in your original post.

It should come out looking just as it was before the accident, don't cheap it. It may sound mean, but you have every right to get a quality job done.

Also, some insurance companies will offer a lifetime warranty if you go to one of their "preferred shops" to get the work done - which you won't get privately....

My Ride

Well I talked to the officer handling my case today, and he told me he was able to get a hold of her and that he referred my case to a different district (probably so its closer for her, all the way in Chestermere). But I have to wait about 10 days for all the necessary information to process. And from there proceed to insurance.

Trevor K: yeah well I was trying to help her out at first. But her attitude towards the whole thing was pretty bad. I basically offered her a chance to fix my car without having to deal with insurance. But after she made comments like "Why do you have to fix paint chips or cracked windshields? We get chips and cracks everyday, I don't see the point of fixing it" Then I basically gave up on "negotiating" and went to the Police station to let them handle it. But I can see what you are getting at about the condition of my car, and will definitely find a good shop to get it fixed at.

~$eanith~: Yeah that's my car at the U, it didn't get overly raped, but still....its so sad to see all those chips.