Quantcast
Best Buy/Futureshop/extended warranties discussion - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy/Futureshop/extended warranties discussion

My Ride
    G35x

Yeah I bought a receiver from FS and talked the guy down to $20 for 5 yeay extended warranty. $4 dollars a year aint bad at all. And if they don't warranty it if something goes wrong, someones gonna have Hell to pay.

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    So after taking it in three times for the same problems, which they never fixed, they finally decided to return it for another one. This was after about 5 months.

Then they tell me that I have to spend another $350 on another extended warranty plan because it is a new laptop. WTF....they never told me that when I bought it.
    Now imagine that you didn't buy the service plan on that laptop! It would continually go into the service shop until the one year warranty was up and guess what? You would be SOL with a lemon laptop.

The service plan is there for people that do not have a solution if a product isn't working as it is designed to. The key when taking something in for service plan claim is to know what the service plan covers and what it doesn't. There are far too many sales people out there that over promise--it is NOT the service plan that sucks, its the fact that service plan sales targets are so agressively pushed so sales people tend to overpromise. READ the orange pamphlet they give you!

I have never been agressive about service plan and I have been consistently running around 12%--and believe me, its not easy in home theatre especially if some $6500 TV goes out without it haha. I'm honest with people, and they trust me. Some people ask me if I would buy it if I was the one buying the product and sometimes I say "nope, not worth it to me" Other times, I would definitely buy it.

For sure Buy PSP on these:

Digital Camcorder
    Rear Projection TV (especially LCD/DLP/LCOS)
    Laptops

Don't Buys:

Anything you can afford to replace/repair yourself
    Anything you don't mind throwing away and replacing at full price

It happens on a daily basis, some dude will say "Nah, I'll throw out the DVD player when and if it ever starts to screw up". I will always write on the receipt that they declined the PSP and will throw out the product if it breaks (i know thats unethical). These same people when it DOES break down, will of course *NOT* want to throw the product out and instead will come to FS and BITCH about how we dont support our products and how it is complete BS that it has broken down and FS is doing nothing about it! haha its great dealing with customers like this.
    ---

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    I hear Best Buy has some absolutely amazing deals/employee discounts though. What is it?

Do you guys know where the other locations are opening?
    Staff purchase is Cost of item + 10% markup. In many cases in some departments, customer prices are LOWER than staff purchase price because there is less than 10% markup.

New locations:

Best Buy in Deerfoot meadows opening next month
    Futureshop in Coventry Hills behind Silver City end of this year
    Futureshop in Deerfoot meadows end of next eyar
    ---

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by kenny

Staff purchase is Cost of item + 10% markup. In many cases in some departments, customer prices are LOWER than staff purchase price because there is less than 10% markup.

pfffft...cost plus 10%...you are getting ripped off...

I have to agree with Kenny...as I did a long stint in the car audio Dept at Future Shop...and listening in to a few of these greasy sales guys slang the PSP...or CSP as I knew it...they promised that if the sun went down because your subwoofer crapped out it was covered...

But on the other hand...lots of customers read deeper into the plans than what was actually there...so it does go both ways...

and I was consistently at about 8% in Car Audio for PSP/CSP sales...

And yes...there was lots of items I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot PSP Pole...but anything OTC Exchange I would recommend it on, and Larger Items...as well...the key to selling it...is believe in it...if you would pruchase it for that roduct then sell it...but if not...then meh...toss it and pick up a new one...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by blinkme_210
    The worst part about the Future Shop extended warranty is that it starts the day you buy the item. So a 2 year warranty is in fact just a simple 1 year warranty extension, and you want me to pay $300 for it?
    futureshop and bestbuys PSP both start the day of the purchase because they go above and beyond the manufacturers warranty. the manufacturer warranty doesnt offer instore repair, gauranteed performance of a product, replacement if the repair takes longer than 2 months, or replacement after 3 repairs.

maybe the reason u are so angry and bitter is because u are just misinformed.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

The only thing I've purchased PSP on from Future Shop has been my cell phones and my big screen.

Cell phones because every time I have PSP on it and something goes wrong I get a replacement phone...no questions asked and I've done it quite a few times. Granted I always have to buy another PSP plan for my phone when I take the faulty one in but whatever....saves me money in the long run. Bought it on the big screen cause I'm not gonna take that TV in if something goes wrong with it.

I sell extended warranties at my store as well but it's alot different....all we sell at my store is cell phones but sometimes it's harder to sell just cause people hear the words "extended service plan" and they remember how they were screwed by FS, Visions, Soundsaround, Brick or wherever screwed them around. Either way....my warranties hover around 65-80%.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Ajay
    The only thing I've purchased PSP on from Future Shop has been my cell phones and my big screen.

Cell phones because every time I have PSP on it and something goes wrong I get a replacement phone...no questions asked and I've done it quite a few times. Granted I always have to buy another PSP plan for my phone when I take the faulty one in but whatever....saves me money in the long run. Bought it on the big screen cause I'm not gonna take that TV in if something goes wrong with it.

I sell extended warranties at my store as well but it's alot different....all we sell at my store is cell phones but sometimes it's harder to sell just cause people hear the words "extended service plan" and they remember how they were screwed by FS, Visions, Soundsaround, Brick or wherever screwed them around. Either way....my warranties hover around 65-80%.
    but be careful as futureshops cell phone replacement policy on cell phones only applies to telus and bell. for fido, its first year replacement and repair after the first year, and for rogers its repair no matter what.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by Kid_a
    IMO the only thing wirth buying the extended warranty for is laptops, the failure rate on those is like 32% or something ridiculous.
    For me this is the exact case! When I was working with the Shop (I worked with them for 4 years) I bought a shitty, and I mean very shitty Toshiba laptop. It was 350 dollars, had no cd rom, I needed a separate card to attach a phone modem, and just to sum it up, it sucked some serious donkey balls...but it got me through my first year of University in Lethbridge.

Anyway, I bought the laptop for 350 bux with my staff purchase, plus I bought the "GOOD OL' EXTENDED WARRANTY" which retailed for about 200 bux. But good thing, future shop employees get it for about half price...actually, I got it for 90 bux and that was for two years. In the end, Future shop replaced my laptop with a brand new HP one that had dvd rom and a bunch of other features. The laptop retailed for almost 2000 dollars (this was about 4 years ago when I traded it in.

So for me it was worth it, but then again, there is a catch to the story...the toshiba laptop was working fine, it just sucked ass so I had to have a tech help me manipulate it so it didn't work to spec and therefore I could capitalize on the customer service plan, seeing that stipulations of the plan are that if:
    A) the product cannot be fixed
    B) the product costs too much to be fixed, or
    C) the product has been repaired too many times,
    then they'll give you a new one. But I was on the last week of my warranty so hooking it up to a car battery and keeping it in the deepfreeze of a couple of days helped my take advantage of getting my new laptop!

haha, I hate the extended warranties and I think they're absolute fucking bullshit. It "IS" how the company makes money and granted some customers have successfully utilized its benefits, but for me, I don't like them for the most part. On some things I would consider it, but really, the amount of times I've seen them help a customer is very minimal. You have to know how the warranty works in order to take full advantage of it, but for the most part, the customer will get screwed in the end because why? They don't know how it works.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by CycloneAWD

and I was consistently at about 8% in Car Audio for PSP/CSP sales...

Shit man, that's it? I was consistently at 12-15% at the end of each month!!!

hahaha, mind you I needed a nice long shower to get the feeling off of me at the end of the day!

Honestly though, I enjoyed the money it brought in for me but I just felt like an absolute dirtbag sometimes because yah, warranties are really designed to bring in money for the company and the salesperson...it's not value for the customer.

And if any sales person disagrees with that, you have been successfully brainwashed by the retail company that you work for!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by LUDELVR

Honestly though, I enjoyed the money it brought in for me but I just felt like an absolute dirtbag sometimes because yah, warranties are really designed to bring in money for the company and the salesperson...it's not value for the customer.

And if any sales person disagrees with that, you have been successfully brainwashed by the retail company that you work for!
    I agree with you 100% that warranties exist for a sole purpose of padding the company's bank account and the sales persons' wallet but at the same time I gotta disagree with you.

Like I said I sell cell phones and pretty much every cell phone comes with a standard one year manufactures warranty but most people always sign a long term (i.e. 3 year) contract to get the phone for the cheapest price. One year warranty....three year contract....little bit of a difference there.

I've had SOOOOOOO many people I've sold phones to come in two or two and half years into their contract having problems with their cell phone....if they have a warranty good for you you're not paying for the repair...we are. If you don't....you're SOL unless you wanna pay a minimum of $150 out of warranty. But it all depends on what the warranty itself covers and I seem to think ours is decent...not the best but pretty decent.

For some things it has no value...for others it does. On a 20" TV that sits in your house maybe moving it around from one room to another I would NEVER buy an ESP for but for something like a cell phone that goes with you wherever you go, that the more you use it the more wear and tear there's gonna be which brings up more issues and less reliability....I'de get it and I haven't been brainwashed by ANYONE I've experienced people first hand bitching and yelling at me cause they didn't pick up an ESP and their phone is toast 18 months into a 36 month term. I hate warranties as much as the next person but for certain things there is a value to it.

There's a new Best Buy in Northland mall for those you didn't know and STILL haven't found out.

And from the 'hiring' thread:
    They give you all the training that is required
    Bull. Fucking. Shit.

The people at Best Buy sell computers without knowing what the fuck it is. What 'training' do you give these people? A fucking Best Buy magazine so they can quote things? How can you sell a computer/monitor if you don't even know what the hell it does, you fucktard?! Even the service "technicians" are mostly retarded. My girlfriend was looking at a uber-budget desktop, and asked what motherboard the PC comes with.

The retard didn't know. He went to check the computers. He said it's not listed, there's no way of finding out. So then she asked "Well the display model is RIGHT there, can't you just open it and take a look?". So he took the case back to the counter, and then stared at the back. "You need a screwdriver" she said. He goes back and gets one. He screws it open, after 10 minutes of figuring out how to use a screwdriver. He opens the case and....

Stares. Blanky. He doens't know what the hell he's looking at. So she says "it's written on there, probably with white lettering..". He looks and says "uhh... I don't think it's labled".

So she turns the case towards herself, looks, copies down the model number and says thanks and walks away. Meanwhile a manager or a supervisor was laughing his ass off, and offered her a job.

It's fucking pathetic to know that the shit my GF picked up from me building my computers is more than the "trained staff" know.

Last time I was in Futureshop, I saw a USB2.0 cable (A to B). It cost $19.99 or something (I think it was the 6 foot cable). It cost Futureshop about ~$3. How the hell do you justify that kind of markup?

Thank God I buy my PC parts and paraphenelia from suppliers and not retail stores.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

(Holy ancient thread!)

To the people who buy the one-year warranty extension:

All Visa cards, AFAIK, automatically double any warranty up to a year, for any product you purchase with the card. No ifs, ands, or buts. I know my RBC debit card does it as well. If it's only a year, ESP's are a 100% waste of money.
    Last edited by BerserkerCatSplat; 02-14-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Originally posted by Shrad
    What 'training' do you give these people? A fucking Best Buy magazine so they can quote things? How can you sell a computer/monitor if you don't even know what the hell it does, you fucktard?!

Last time I was in Futureshop, I saw a USB2.0 cable (A to B). It cost $19.99 or something (I think it was the 6 foot cable). It cost Futureshop about ~$3. How the hell do you justify that kind of markup?

Thank God I buy my PC parts and paraphenelia from suppliers and not retail stores.
    Old ass thread, but thought I'd reply...

Staff are given sales training with a little bit of product knowledge. Expecting a sales person to know exactly what comes with a particular item for sale is ridiculous especially in computers where things change every month.

FS/BB is a big box mass retailer. They couldn't give two shits about nerds that think they know it all. They sell to the general public that doesn't care about model numbers, specs, and other technical info that is completely useless to them.

$3 markup to $20 not justified? They are in the business of making a profit. Why on earth would you question them for SELLING the product at a ridiculous markup? Why not question the people that are willing to BUY them at this markup? lol. If someone is willing to buy my honda civic for $100,000, you best believe I will sell it

In conclusion, general public buy computer at FS. Cheeto eating nerds go buy computer at some obscure online supplier where you don't even need to communicate with another human being.
    ---

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by kenny
    Cheeto eating nerds go buy computer at some obscure online supplier where you don't even need to communicate with another human being.

Milk just came out of my nose...hahaha
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Originally posted by EK 2.0

That aint to healthy buddy. I'd go get that checked out.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Milk from your nerdly Cheerios?

My Ride
    90 jdm ST185 86 ST162

Originally posted by LudeRoca
    Also its not like the manager is gonna fire you if you don't sell the service plan.
    /beginrant

I worked @ Futureshop for a month then quit...couldn't stand it there. Nobody likes to be harrassed to buy extended warranty...my manager told me constantly to pick it up and try harder (not in a nice sense of tone either).

Most of it is a ripoff anyways...who wants to pay $20 for a 2 year warranty for a $30 clock radio? I got bitched @ for not mentioning it to a couple who was interested in a clock radio.

Only thing I would consider it is the 9 year warranty for home theatre speakers...If nothing happens to them for 8 years...crank em up and blow em. Blown speakers are covered under the warranty. And by 8 years, that model of speaker most likely wont be in production anymore. So you'll get something equal value..and by 2014 I'm guessing speakers might be a little better.

PSP =

/endrant

Originally posted by TEAMFaint
    Most of it is a ripoff anyways...who wants to pay $20 for a 2 year warranty for a $30 clock radio? I got bitched @ for not mentioning it to a couple who was interested in a clock radio.
    The decision to buy or not buy that warranty on the clock radio should not be made by you as a sales person. How hard is it to mention that the option is available? Seems ridiculous to you but there are people that buy warranties like that. Convenience is priceless for some people.
    ---

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

Hearing all these horror stories about the PSP's makes me concered. I've never had a problem with returning anything(with PSP), excpect this one time.

My cell phone screwed up me and I was taking it back to FS. I lost my recipt, and I asked them lady if I had the PSP, she told me that I didn't. But from what I could remember paying 60 + dollars more for the PSP. After I figured out what was wrong with my phone, I found my cell recipeit I did have the PSP.

Now my question is that if you don't have the recipit, can they still take the product back even though they have it on file. And can the workers lie to a customer to when I signed and stated that I bought the plan, and when they have it on file????

i worked at FS for just over a year and a half. i bought the PSP on my laptop, had the laptop for over a year now without any problems. do i regret buying it? nope. cause i know if in a year or so from now, if my laptop craps out, its covered.

guess its the whole peace of mind type deal.

some things it is utter garbage for though...

edit: kenny you still at FS? still macleod trail? if i have some friends lookin at TV's ill send em to you if you are (my buddy is lookin at moving at in the next couple of months)
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast