Quantcast
Best Buy/Futureshop/extended warranties discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Buy/Futureshop/extended warranties discussion

My Ride
    a wrx.

Mod Edit: Split from http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=61701

when u work there ull constantly have a department supervisor breathing down your neck to sell extended warranty.

My Ride
    95 AC INTEG 90 crx si

Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
    the one buy Krispy Kream? Its a freakin rip off there , there car audio is the most exspensive in all of calgary lol
    I never asked you to come buy shit from there. i just said that we are hiring. And if you wanna buy stuff take your ass to soundsaround and let them rip you off. We don't have the greatest selection but our prices are lower than anywhere esle you will go.

My Ride
    G35x

Originally posted by LudeRoca

I never asked you to come buy shit from there. i just said that we are hiring. And if you wanna buy stuff take your ass to soundsaround and let them rip you off. We don't have the greatest selection but our prices are lower than anywhere esle you will go.
    Wow, True Bestbuy Partriot. [I'm sure your loyality to bestbuy will pay off in the future]. j/k

My Ride
    95 AC INTEG 90 crx si

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    when u work there ull constantly have a department supervisor breathing down your neck to sell extended warranty.
    Well yea that is how future shop and best buy make their money. Its pretty easy to sell concidering it is worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks and your covered for everything except intentional damage. Also its not like the manager is gonna fire you if you don't sell the service plan.
    Last edited by LudeRoca; 10-09-2004 at 12:52 PM.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

and add-ons...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Model S

and monster cable

every time one of those dumbass sales associates tell me to put my $12 power bar back and get the $60 monster one for "cleaner power and better performance", i want to hang him with it...

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by googe
    and monster cable

every time one of those dumbass sales associates tell me to put my $12 power bar back and get the $60 monster one for "cleaner power and better performance", i want to hang him with it...

Now...I sell those and use a few of them in my home...and I must say that I do notice a difference...I wasn't a believer until I tried one...and WOW is all I have to say to that...As far as the calbes go...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by googe
    and monster cable

As far as cables go, I am sure that if you buy a $6000 plasma TV, buying some $60 cables would not be a bad idea and would make a difference (however slight its worth it). However my cousin bought a $400 27" Sony Trintron and said that the cables that came in the box were the exact same.

I hear Best Buy has some absolutely amazing deals/employee discounts though. What is it?

Do you guys know where the other locations are opening?

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

I purchased a deck for my truck from Best Buy a few days ago. I couldn't believe how cheap everything was. Either it was one large sale, or they REALLY are one the of the lowest price electronics retailers in Calgary.

I think it's the latter.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by CycloneAWD

Now...I sell those and use a few of them in my home...and I must say that I do notice a difference...I wasn't a believer until I tried one...and WOW is all I have to say to that...As far as the calbes go...

When I got my bigscreen I hooked it up both my satellites with coax cable and the picture quality was TERRIBLE....tried an S-Video cable and it was a bit better but eventually ended up going with component video cables for both my satellites and for my DVD player...does make a difference.

Cables are a huge seller for salesmen at FS, Best Buy....or any of those big electronic retailers but in my opinion they do make a difference.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Ajay

When I got my bigscreen I hooked it up both my satellites with coax cable and the picture quality was TERRIBLE....tried an S-Video cable and it was a bit better but eventually ended up going with component video cables for both my satellites and for my DVD player...does make a difference.

Cables are a huge seller for salesmen at FS, Best Buy....or any of those big electronic retailers but in my opinion they do make a difference.
    well no, thats different. its widely accepted that component video is better than s-video, which is better than composite/rca. try getting 2 component cables and comparing, like a monster and a philips...not gonna see a difference.

My Ride
    something green

Well yea that is how future shop and best buy make their money. Its pretty easy to sell concidering it is worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks and your covered for everything except intentional damage. Also its not like the manager is gonna fire you if you don't sell the service plan.
    Have you ever tried collecting on the extended warranty? Both times I bought the extra warranty, it was useless, on the cd changer in my truck I bought a 5 year package, Future shop refused to cover it when bit the biscuit, because they had changed warranty insurance companies in the time that I had owned it....Great..thanks for telling me...
    Second time was Visions with a 250 watt amp, they just decided that the problem with the unit was not covered, without even inspecting it...30 extra bucks for nothing and a dead amp to boot..
    I bought a cheap Pyramid amp at London Drugs, it used to cut out when I hit a bump, I had owned it for about a year and half, I took it back just to see if they could repair it, they exchanged it, even though the warranty was over by 6 months, that was pretty good..Max
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    1991 Volkswagen Golf 8v

IMO the only thing wirth buying the extended warranty for is laptops, the failure rate on those is like 32% or something ridiculous.

My Ride
    firebird

I was so pissed off about the future shop warranty I bought for my last laptop.

I bought their home brand Cicero and it never worked right from the beginning. The extended warranty was about $350.

The mouse would click on its own
    The wireless internet would always cut out
    The battery life blew.
    Numerous other problems.

So after taking it in three times for the same problems, which they never fixed, they finally decided to return it for another one. This was after about 5 months.

Then they tell me that I have to spend another $350 on another extended warranty plan because it is a new laptop. WTF....they never told me that when I bought it.

But I am very happy now with my Averatec laptop. Not one problem with it and I have had it for about 8 months.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    a wrx.

lol u work in car-fi so course psp is easy. try selling $300 psps in di or computers or 500 psps in home audio u goof. ive worked at futureshop before and always had psp %s above 10% so i know exactly how to sell them and the features and benefits of it. i still work as a vendor rep. and im at best buy most of the time so i know that store inside out too.

imo, best buy is hit or miss just like any other huge retail chain. the problem with bestbuy is that its mainly staffed by kids who dont give a fuck and are only motivated by sups. telling them to sell psp (yes u do get fired if u dont sell it, cuz in some departments, the store is pretty much losing money by just selling hte products) or by lifers who think they know it all cuz theyve made a career out of being a best buy crony when they are just so old that theyre all biased to one thing or another. the problem with many best buy employees is that since they get paid a shitty hourly wage, they usually dont care enough to REAAALLY impress their customers or know their pk very well. staples is the exact same. at future shop, u either get people who are total scammers just out to scam your money by saying anything and everything, or u get the salesmen who actually try really hard to impress the customer so that theyll get repeat business. again, hit or miss.

as for prices, well sometimes best buy has good prices, especially on the customer appreciation sunday night sales, but since i know the cost of shit i have a tough time trusting best buy. like selling a $30 usb cable that costs $5 at superstore, or the 100% markup on car speakers. another thing that sucks is that the prices are the same as at futureshop, but ALL the profits go to the store, none of it is even commission for the salesman. the salesman gets a shitty $8-11/hour for their troubles. u cant tell anyone that bestbuy has the best prices with a straight face. the prices are just MSRP, the same as anywhere else.

regarding the warranty, well there are always ways to justify it for almost any customer (it can be pricey tho.) i wasnt bashing psp in my original post, just pointing out that it sucks that the employees are made to push it.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

from my experiences, employees at Bestbuy and Futureshop always try to cram their warrranty down your throat. Sayinng its the best and your covered for anything.

When push comes to shove, your pretty much SOL if you unit breaks and you need warranty work.
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Fuck those retarded product service plan shit. Don't try to offer me it on a simple $40 wire router that I wanna buy. At Best Buy it's particularly bad, having both the people who work in the department and the cashiers at the checkout trying to offer "Product Service Plan" or whatever the fuck it's called. If it breaks or malfunctions, I'll bring it back and get a new one, DA DA! All free of charge.

The worst part about the Future Shop extended warranty is that it starts the day you buy the item. So a 2 year warranty is in fact just a simple 1 year warranty extension, and you want me to pay $300 for it? No fucking way. That's why whenever I need to get a new laptop, I just go to Compusmart and match the price there. The warranty they offer is on top of the original, and costs only $150 for a 1 year extension. As long as you buy warranty from them, the first year manufacturer's warranty they will do it in store for you. So it's sort of like a 2 year in store warranty.

Also, from past experiences I've found out that Future Shop people always try to gype you when it comes to warranty work. A long time ago back in like Gr 9 or something, my $400 Sony slot in CD player stopped working. I thought I was ok, cause I was still under that retarded extended warranty. So when I get there and try to get work done on it, the fucking retard tech comes out and says that I broke it. Like wtf?? How could you even tell by simply looking at it retard. Mind you the CD player was in perfect comestic condition, not a single scratch anywhere on the body. Only after when my Dad went apeshit on the tech did the manager come and take care of the problem for us.

My Ride
    Volve V70 T

you can't blame them for puching the warrantee's. It is 100% profit for them. over 90% of thier profit comes from the sales of protection plans and warrantees. The markup on electronics isn't as high as it was even a few years ago, and now that futureshop sells large appliances with a very low markup they need something to sell that has large profit margins. That is the warrantee. The futureshop in halifax did right around 25 million last year, about 20 million of that came from from warrantee's. why wouldn't they push them down our throats, easy money for them.

My Ride
    G35x

Incase anyone didn't know, Best buy owns future shop. Future shop's employee checks say "bestbuy" right on them. This is why the prices are almost identical.

My Ride
    E90 335i

I for one have bought warranty on many of my electronic purchases from FS and its paid off every time. My first DVD player, just stopped working one day, saved me $180 in the shop, then my car CD player, the face plate got all fucked up a few weeks before my 3 year extended warranty was up, saved me $90, and lastly my home theatre receiver blew up 4 years after I bought it, I ended up getting it replaced with a brand new unit, that alone probably made up for all the warranties I ever bought.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast