Quantcast
how to install automatic door locks/keyless entry for my 96 Civic CX hatch - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: how to install automatic door locks/keyless entry for my 96 Civic CX hatch

My Ride
    02 Pathfinder

Question how to install automatic door locks/keyless entry for my 96 Civic CX hatch

someone help me, ive been at this for a few weeks now searching a bunch of sites trying to find someone whos done this themselves. does anyone know how to install automatic door locks/keyless entry for my 96 Civic CX hatch? which acuator to use? will one from an ex work? how hard is it? any cutting involved? and how much it will cost? thanks a lot.

Already done it! Thanks for all your comments. Glad with my keyless now.
    Last edited by Harry; 10-22-2004 at 12:05 PM.

My Ride
    02 Corvette Coupe

If your going to do it yourself Id suggest buying the universal afetermarket actuators ( princess auto, can.tire, ect.) As far as simplicity goes......well it depends on how handy of a guy you are. You need to start by taking the interior door skin off of the doors. youll need to remove a few screws ( door handle cover screw, the door pocket screw ect a total of about 4 philips screws.) Then remove the window roll down handle. The door skin is then held on by panel clips, you can usually pop those out by pulling on the skin carefuly. Now that your inside the door.... lock and unlock the door using the interior lock switch, by doing this you will see the rod that moves back and forth that locks and unlocks the door. You need to use your actuator to mimick this function. Now,, mount the actuator in the existing hole in the door for the optional factory actuators. run the rod supplied in the kit and connect it to the lock rod of the car.(note# you may have to bend the actuator rod so that it doesnt bind or cause the locks to be stiff). Run the wires from the actuator through the door boot and into the car. Before you put the door back together test that your actuators work. hit them with 12 volts and test that they lock/ unlock the door, they should be unobstructed and move smoothly with the skin back on. If they are tight you may have to bend the rod or move the actuators to coppensate. Hook up your keyless entry modual following the instructions that come with the kit. on your car the power wire is a white thicker guaged going up to the steering column, and you should use your own chasis ground. Anyway hope all this info is of some help, i know its kinda but thats what needs to be done. If additional help is needed I PM'd you.

My Ride
    02 Pathfinder

Default thnx instal22

Very detail, great help. Well, I should say I am not that handy guy as I wish to be. :-p I am considering If I could pay sb to help me out. How much is it?
    One more question, I'v a Viper Code Plus installed. Does anybody know it could do remote starter work?

My Ride
    02 Corvette Coupe

PM'd

My Ride
    DC2

TY at Soundsaround on Mcleod is one of my good buddies, he works on this custom stuff all the time, he should be able to help you no problem, he works in the car audio install bay. He has done several installs my my buddies and my self, along with alarms and car starters.