Quantcast
lightened flywheel streetability - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: lightened flywheel streetability

My Ride
    a wrx.

Question lightened flywheel streetability

who here is using a lightened flywheel on a small engine? how do u find it?

im looking for a lightened flywheel this winter but im concerned about streetability. my stock flywheel is supposedly 15lbs, and im looking at flywheels that are anywhere from 8.5-10 lbs. this will be mated to a 1.6l engine with about 140hp.

is stalling a problem? i already need to keep the gas on while im letting out the clutch since the engine is already torqueless from idle, so why not get a lighter flywheel?

what about launching? is it much tougher?

and what about uphill starts on snow? is it practical for winter driving?

Shouldn't be a problem.
    I went from an 18lb flywheel to a 8.5lb and I loved it.

my buddy glen had one in his klze gt, man did it rev up fast ill let him post himself on this topic. BUT i think it would cause you to spin even more, especially on ice

Running a clutchmasters 7.5 LB flywheel on my B16. It's a little touchy if I'm stopped on a hill, but it isn't too bad. This is my daily driver.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by awdterror
    Running a clutchmasters 7.5 LB flywheel on my B16. It's a little touchy if I'm stopped on a hill, but it isn't too bad. This is my daily driver.
    is winter driving any different? is launching harder?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    is winter driving any different? is launching harder?
    Compared to the stock flywheel you do have to be a lot more careful, it's very easy to let the motor snap up in revs, especially with such a rev happy motor like a B16. It's not impossible, it just has a learning curve to it. Although personally I would just hold off on installing it till spring. You arn't going to get anything positive out of it by having it installed during the winter, so why bother, right?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by awdterror

Compared to the stock flywheel you do have to be a lot more careful, it's very easy to let the motor snap up in revs, especially with such a rev happy motor like a B16. It's not impossible, it just has a learning curve to it. Although personally I would just hold off on installing it till spring. You arn't going to get anything positive out of it by having it installed during the winter, so why bother, right?
    yea haha im parking my car for the winter. winter is the season when i stockpile parts, then spring install season.

My Ride
    ghfgh

6 puck unsprung clutch on lightweight flywheel makes hell, going slow is alot harder, for example in parking lots when stock I could just idle around, I now have to jocky the clutch abunch. it was worth it tho, stop being such a puta

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Owned 2
    6 puck unsprung clutch on lightweight flywheel makes hell, going slow is alot harder, for example in parking lots when stock I could just idle around, I now have to jocky the clutch abunch. it was worth it tho, stop being such a puta
    I wouldn't recommend it for a 140 hp engine as you won't gain any useful power and will loose low RPM driveability. I have a fidanza aluminum 8.5lb flywheel on my built engine and I don't even like it. They are for drag cars really not for street. People that say they have them and love them are the same people that would say a cold air intake or exhaust on a civic made huge power gains for them.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by heavyD

I wouldn't recommend it for a 140 hp engine as you won't gain any useful power and will loose low RPM driveability. I have a fidanza aluminum 8.5lb flywheel on my built engine and I don't even like it. They are for drag cars really not for street. People that say they have them and love them are the same people that would say a cold air intake or exhaust on a civic made huge power gains for them.
    hm many ppl suggest that they suck for drag cuz launching is harder and that it is really nice for auto-x which is basically my goal.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

hm many ppl suggest that they suck for drag cuz launching is harder and that it is really nice for auto-x which is basically my goal.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Harder to launch? I think these "many people" are misinformed like yourself or don't know what they are talking about.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by heavyD

Harder to launch? I think these "many people" are misinformed like yourself or don't know what they are talking about.
    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...137#post153189

would u say this poster is misinformed or doesnt know what hes talking about?

My Ride
    a wrx.

alright fuck it, im gona buy the damn 3.6kg flywheel as soon as i come across a good deal.

My Ride
    KA-T S13

alright fuck it, im gona buy the damn 3.6kg flywheel as soon as i come across a good deal.

Good Choice