1993 Pontic Sunfire - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1993 Pontic Sunfire

the car is 3400

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Jayzbro2001
    the car is 3400
    dont do it man! cavaliers are NOT a good starting point for any car enthusiasts. the only ppl that drive them are old people, or young ppl that got them as hand-me-downs

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Jayzbro2001
    the car is 3400
    my car was only 1150...and its much faster, more reliable, way more fun, and less ghey than any sunfire/cavalier...

is a pontiac sunfire an old person car?

My Ride
    1987 Corolla GT-S Coupe

An AE86 (1985~87 Corolla GT-S) is NOT a cheap car to own, nor is it exceptionally reliable. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cars to drive, but you really have to love the wrench or be making a lot of money if you intend on keeping the car on the road. I think MotoP summed it up best in this post on club4ag.

If you want a good first car, maybe go with a CRX or an older Sentra, also Mazda made two very nice models of the older 323. One of them was the DOHC 16 Valve 1.6i and the other was the AWD Turbocharged 323GTX (although the latter is a maintainance pig).

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Sketch
    An AE86 (1985~87 Corolla GT-S) is NOT a cheap car to own, nor is it exceptionally reliable. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cars to drive, but you really have to love the wrench or be making a lot of money if you intend on keeping the car on the road. I think MotoP summed it up best in this post on club4ag.

If you want a good first car, maybe go with a CRX or an older Sentra, also Mazda made two very nice models of the older 323. One of them was the DOHC 16 Valve 1.6i and the other was the AWD Turbocharged 323GTX (although the latter is a maintainance pig).
    those problems are inherent with ANY old car. im willing to bet that an ae86 is still 100x more reliable than a 17 year old cavalier

is pontiac sunfire an old person car?

anyone?????/

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    those problems are inherent with ANY old car. im willing to bet that an ae86 is still 100x more reliable than a 17 year old cavalier
    true, my jetta is different though, it breaks down like a 40 year old car because of that damn previous owner (i want him to die )

the cars in your price range are old, have been driven, and will have issues.

i think it depends what you are looking for...

looks?
    reliability?
    fast?
    fun driving experience?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Description : 1985 TOYOTA COROLLA GTS, ps, pb, pm, tilt, am/fm cass, power roof, 4 cyl twin cam, 16 valve, 5 speed, silver ext, 2 tone black & grey int, factory wheels, insurance safety insp, $1,850. Ph (780) 479-1785. Edm.

cheaper than 4 grand

there is also a coupe for 1999.00

i'm going to have to side with jeff on this, much better than a j-body.
    Last edited by finboy; 11-24-2002 at 12:31 AM.

My Ride
    pedals

I was under the impression that the 85 GT-S's in canadian spec. didnt come with the Limited slip diff. that make the cars so desired anyways (there are other reasons to).

I want looks, kinda fast, and reliability, i would like to put some rims and thats about it. is the sunfire an old person car? can its last?

Jayzbro2001: Dude,save yourself the humiliation,dont buy a sunfire,its not worth it,haha.Get an MR2,Prelude,CRX,Integra,etc. Those are some nice first cars,and they can be affordable.

My Ride
    1987 Corolla GT-S Coupe

I agree with CivicLVR on this one. Buy a good Honda, they are very low maintainance vehicles, have lots of tuning potential, and you won't be paying a $1000 "Initial D Tax". Besides that they are easy to find and very affordable. My personal reccomendation would be a first generation (DC1) Integra 2 Dr Coupe. They are very affordable, they handle great and are loads of fun to drive. Plus they have that cool quirky 80's styling I love so much.

Or if you can afford to drop $4500 you could find yourself a Nissan 240SX, which has very modern styling, a big torquey 2.5L engine, a Limited Slip Differential, and has a nice interior.
    Last edited by Sketch; 11-24-2002 at 04:48 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

93 sunfires DON'T exist dude. If you can get a 98 cavalier I say check it out before you get it. Full mech report. I had a 91 cavalier for years and only things that went wrong were the alternator and the radiator and that's it in 5 years.
    I agree it was ugly as sin and slow but for a high school kid on a fixed income it was reliable and got me from point A to B. So if you don't care about any of this other stuff they can be reliable mode of transport if you take care of them like any other car.

My Ride
    98 Cavalier

Jayzbro2001: Cavaliers and sunfires with lower mileage are very reliable cars. Please don't take to heart what these people are saying. Whatever you decide, do a lot of research on it before you buy anything. Just remember that imports can be pretty expensive to work on and trust me, they break down too. They aren't invincible as these guys make them out to be. Just look for something with low miles and that has been taken care of. Sunfires and cavaliers (the jbody cars) are very quickly growing in popularity. If you can find a cavalier z24 that is something to look into because they are a lot faster than the 2.2 engines and they hang with v6's and have a hell of a lot more torque than hondas.

At any rate check out that 98 cavalier...theres a big write up in novembers super street with some pics of some nicely done J's if u want to check that out.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Jayzbro2001: Cavaliers and sunfires with lower mileage are very reliable cars. Please don't take to heart what these people are saying. Whatever you decide, do a lot of research on it before you buy anything. Just remember that imports can be pretty expensive to work on and trust me, they break down too. They aren't invincible as these guys make them out to be. Just look for something with low miles and that has been taken care of. Sunfires and cavaliers (the jbody cars) are very quickly growing in popularity. If you can find a cavalier z24 that is something to look into because they are a lot faster than the 2.2 engines and they hang with v6's and have a hell of a lot more torque than hondas.

At any rate check out that 98 cavalier...theres a big write up in novembers super street with some pics of some nicely done J's if u want to check that out.
    the point is for 4000 dollars he isn't going to get a very reliable sunfire or cav. more than likely bag driven, high mileage, etc. and i doubt he can get a 2.4 ecotec in his price range. more than likely a 2.2 slug.

and what doesn't have more torque than hondas jk.

My Ride
    98 Cavalier

Finboy: I think he has a good chance of finding a decent sunfire or cavalier for under $4k, he already stated he found a '98 for $3400. I'm sure it has the 2.2L and no options but they still are quite reliable little engines albeit VERY SLOW. (I own a 2.2) But you're right in saying that you can't find a LD9 2.4 engine for that cheap. The ecotecs are the new engines, they are 2.2L but totally different than the old 2.2's if that makes sense. (read: they are about as quick as the 2.4s)

Anywho, It doesnt really matter what car you get, import or domestic, the higher the miles= the more things that are going to go wrong. So no matter what try to find something with under 50,000 miles and you won't have to worry too much about puttin a lot of money into it!

My Ride
    Honda

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a 1989-1990 Honda civic in this case.
    It has everything this person is looking for.

- A "young persons" car
    - Cheap to buy
    - Easy to fix
    - Very reliable
    - Tons of aftermarket support
    - Very good on fuel

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by cavybabe98
    Anywho, It doesnt really matter what car you get, import or domestic
    that aint true. econobox domestics are flakier than tony the tiger

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast