Quantcast
Winter Storage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Winter Storage

My Ride
    lude

Exclamation Winter Storage

alright, I'm hearing mixed things about what do do with your car. Some say start it once in awhile, some say leave it be untill next spring...

Also, is it ok, if it's left outside w/ a car cover?

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

you should start it about once a month, otherwise when spring comes your pistons will be bone dry. when i store my car i start it once a week just to be safe. i dont see the problem with leaving it outside if thats your only choice, and if it has low profile tires id put on some old crappy wheels/rubber so your good tires dont get screwed up from sitting for so long.

I parked mine last year and didn't start it. No problems here.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

i dont think there usualy is many problems its just something to do to be safe

My Ride
    rubbish

I was also wondering the same thing. Thanks for the info

Oh, and put some fuel stabilizer in your gas!

My Ride
    lude

ahha see, everyone, does something different....

Originally posted by 86max
    Oh, and put some fuel stabilizer in your gas!
    ...and store with a full tank of gas.

If you don't plan on moving or starting it, take out the battery and inflate your tires higher than normal to reduce the possibility of flat spots.

As for the car cover, it should be secure and snug. Otherwise, it could scratch your paint if it flaps around too much. If the wind is strong enough, it could blow the cover right off. You might also want to get a cable lock for theft prevention.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I've heard mixed things about starting the car once a month.
    The argument for it, is that it helps keep all of the oil from running down, and makes it easier on the engine when you start it after storage.
    The argument against is, is that after a month, everything inside is already dry, and it's just that much worse for it starting it that many more times.

I'm in the second school of thought. I wouldn't start it while it's being stored.

A full tank of gas isn't a bad idea. I usually just leave it as full as it was when I park it. I don't fill it up right before I park it.
    I don't use fuel stabilizer. There are mixed arguments on that one as well.

Taking the battery out, and putting it somewhere warmer help extend the life of the battery, since it doesn't get as cold, and possibly risk freezing up. A fully charged battery won't freeze until something like -50, however, if there is a small draw, a dead battery will freeze at -5.

If you're storing for the winter, over-inflate the tires for storage. But if it's for a month or two, they are fine as they are.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

yeah thats why i play it safe and start it every week that way i know they wont be dry.

My Ride
    lude

Originally posted by Zero102

I don't use fuel stabilizer. There are mixed arguments on that one as well.
    All I have heard is good things about it, it's a must...So you don't start it up with bad gas in the spring

My Ride
    Dakota

I usually leave my cars all winter without starting it, I've stored indoors & out(with a custom cover) & havn't started them, the only problem I've had was a dead battery.

The argument for it, is that it helps keep all of the oil from running down, and makes it easier on the engine when you start it after storage.
    Starting it up regularly keeps the gaskets from drying out, particularly if the car is older.

The argument against is, is that after a month, everything inside is already dry, and it's just that much worse for it starting it that many more times.
    Another reason for not starting it is the moisture in the exhaust can accelerate corrosion, especially if the car is only started occasionally and not does not achieve full operating temperature.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If it does not achieve full operating temperature, you will get condensation in the oil as well. That's even worse!

Once a week is okay. Sort of like driving it. I draw the line at around once a week. I feel any longer than a week, just let it sit.

Although, you then have to worry about running the battery down, and if it's stored outside, it will freeze if it's run down.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

If you have a steel gas tank, I would fill it up completely. If not, condensation occurs and you will have a rusty tank... and rusty gas later in the spring.

It worth having the couple of extra bucks of fuel in there to save your tank.

My Ride
    Jeep

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Another reason for not starting it is the moisture in the exhaust can accelerate corrosion, especially if the car is only started occasionally and not does not achieve full operating temperature.
    This is why if you ever start a car over the winter you let it run for about 15 minutes or so. Also you want to give it some clean revs to blow the moisture out. I used to do that with my Chevelle and it worked well.

My Ride
    2G Eclipse, FK8

I myself don't have a set of winter wheels or any other wheels for that matter to switch when i store the car... would it be okay just to leave the car on jackstands

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

^^^
    Yep, that's another way to avoid flat spots on the tires.

I hadn't considered the steel gas tank thing. Not a bad argument for filling it up!

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

Originally posted by DeeCEE101
    I myself don't have a set of winter wheels or any other wheels for that matter to switch when i store the car... would it be okay just to leave the car on jackstands
    im pretty sure if you leave it on jacks your suspension gets fucked up, not a 100% sure on that but thats what ive herd

My Ride
    some blue car

My car was in storage while I was living in Japan

I don't know much about storage, but I can tell you this, take your battery out.

Mine died, coulden't bring it back to life, had to buy a new one

I woudlnt put it on jackstands, has a chance of falling off with all the kids running around these days. just buy someoens steelies or somethign for $40 on here and use those