Quantcast
Registration problem please read. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Registration problem please read.

Default Registration problem please read.

I sold my camry to my sister in law about six months ago. She lives in Calgary and I live in Red Deer. She picked it up on the weekend and needed the plate untill monday so she says. A couple mounths ago I started getting parking tickets from the city of Calgary. Two tickets that matched days that I was in Calgary for work. I didn't think I parked anywhere illegal but whatever. Since then I've gotten 4 more for days I wasn't in Calgary. I look at the tickets and see the plate number is for the camry on all 6 tickets. 4 of these have gone to late fees. I know that it is my responsibility to keep my plate upon sale of the vehicle so technically this is my fault/problem in the eyes of the law. I can't reach my sister in law anymore because she has moved somewhere and she has left no one any contact info.

Here is my question: If I go to registration and pay all the fines, can I have this car un-registered in my name? She has been in some trouble lately and I don't want to be responsible legally for her car anymore. Thanks for any response.

If the plate is registered to you cancel it. After that if she continues to use it, shes screwed.

Have you tried to contact her parents or your brother?

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    Have you tried to contact her parents or your brother?
    It's my wifes sister. Yeah, her Mom doesn't even know where she is or how to reach her.. We have a cell phone number for her, but it seem like it's been disconnected for a couple weeks now. I just called a couple people in Calgary that are her friends and the last they heard she was in Kamloops or Kelowna, but they have no idea how to reach her. I'm a little pissed that she lied to me about the whole situation several times and that I am going to have to pay these fines, but I would still like to let her know that her car will be an unregistered vehicle tomorrow. She has made it clear that she won't fix this, but I still don't wan't her to get into any more trouble than possible.

Shitty deal. I think you've done more than your duty if you pay the fines. If she makes herself so tough to contact, then she deserves to be uninformed about the registration.

My Ride
    Subaru Impreza (White)

Just cancel your registration under that plate.... And pay for those parking ticket.... hehe just be glad she didn't get any photo radar tickets.. Parking tickets are much better...... they both don't give demerits but parking tickets are less....

So anyways back on topic... WHen you cancel it the worst thing that can happen to her is that she would get pulled over and asked to pay for a registration ticket which is about 230.... but if you talk to the cp... i am pretty sure she can talk it down..... Oh an the ticket also doesn't come with demerits......

Hope this helps

My Ride
    1998 Mercedes Benz SL500/2000 Grand Cherokee V8

Yeah, not to be rude, but she sounds a tad bit irresponsible...Fish said it well; she does deserve to be uninformed lol. I think its going a bit far paying for it...but if it will clear you from things....I guess do it.

Originally posted by DarkDream
    snip...the worst thing that can happen to her is that she would get pulled over and asked to pay for a registration ticket which is about 230.... snip
    Hope this helps
    O.K so it's nowhere near the price of a no insurance ticket. I probably shouldn't care if she gets in trouble, but she's family and it's tough not to.

Originally posted by Texas
    Yeah, not to be rude, but she sounds a tad bit irresponsible...Fish said it well; she does deserve to be uninformed lol. I think its going a bit far paying for it...but if it will clear you from things....I guess do it.
    Trust me, I don't want to pay for it, but I'm pretty sure I can't unregister the vehicle with outstanding tickets on it. I just don't to be responsible legally for any bigger fines so I want to be rid of the situation.

$10 says she's driving around with no insurance - which is why she needs your plate.

Alert the police that your plate is stolen as well.

Originally posted by TrevorK
    $10 says she's driving around with no insurance - which is why she needs your plate.

Alert the police that your plate is stolen as well.
    So funny you should say that. I talked to her old roommate today. She told me that she got a letter at her house this week saying that the insurance was canceled due to non payment.

I took care of my obligations to the car today.Almost 250 dollars later and I am no longer liable for the plate or the vehicle.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by cobber112879

So funny you should say that. I talked to her old roommate today. She told me that she got a letter at her house this week saying that the insurance was canceled due to non payment.

I took care of my obligations to the car today.Almost 250 dollars later and I am no longer liable for the plate or the vehicle.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Sucks to do that to family, but trust me, that was your only option man.

Hope it works out in the end somehow.
    Travel