Quantcast
Soy protein - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Soy protein

Default Soy protein

I've been working out off and on the past couple years (more off than on) and I just started again about 2 months ago, and I wanted to get (semi)serious about it, so I decided to out and buy some protein today. I wasn't sure what to look for when I was buying it, so I just bought the one that had the most grams of protein per 100g, which ended up being soy protein. I come home and do a bit of research on it, and from what I've read there are mostly negative effects! I don't really want to take it back, so is it okay it for me to just take it? I'm not looking to get huge, I just don't want to be a skinny pencilneck. Also when is the best time to take your supplements such as protein or glutamine? Pre-workout? Post-workout? Thanks in advance.

soy protein is the worst because it is the least effective protein when it comes to being absorbed by your body.

obviously you want to gain weight, so you need to take a weight gaining formula (not just protein by itself). a weight gaining formula is essentially a high protein/carb/calorie matrix. as a plus, it usually tastes really good because of the high amounts of cals&carbs.

remember: It is only a SUPPLEMENT, as in it supplements your diet. you need to eat alot more in order for it to be effective. you need to eat a MINIMUM OF 1g of protein for every pound of your current body mass daily in order to see results. also, when shopping you want your protein to be wheat, soy and yeast free.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

don't buy weightgainer, it is just whey protein and sugar

Originally posted by rahim
    don't buy weightgainer, it is just whey protein and sugar
    ahahahaha

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

Originally posted by Wildcat

ahahahaha
    read the ingredients it says right there

My Ride
    Impreza RS

Don't bother with soy, it raises some female hormone that gives you bitch tits If its all you have and you dont want to return it, then just one jug wont do any harm.

Also, I wouldnt go with weight gainer. I think the best way to go is eating natural foods.

My morning weight gainer shake is:

1 scoop whey
    1 cup milk
    1 banana
    1 cup oats
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp peanut butter

Not the greatest tasting thing in the world, but kicks off my day with 600-700 clean calories. 6 meals a day is the way to go, and get at least 1g protein/1lbs bodyweight as mentioned above. Also, your body needs 500 calories above BMR for gaining weight, but don't use fast food to get there.

You said you wanted to get semi-serious, if you want results its 100% or 0%
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

wow thanks for the quick replies.
    Gaining weight is not really what I'm after. I just want to put on a bit of muscle. Right now I'm about 5'7 or 5'8 and 158lbs. I do have a healthy diet (I'd like to think), and avoid junk food or eating out. I have noticed a difference in build since I started working out again, but I am also looking for more results. Am I going in the right direction in taking protein and glutamine as a supplement?

My Ride
    Impreza RS

Originally posted by Gadgetboy
    wow thanks for the quick replies.
    Gaining weight is not really what I'm after. I just want to put on a bit of muscle. Right now I'm about 5'7 or 5'8 and 158lbs. I do have a healthy diet (I'd like to think), and avoid junk food or eating out. I have noticed a difference in build since I started working out again, but I am also looking for more results. Am I going in the right direction in taking protein and glutamine as a supplement?
    If you want to pack on muscle you gotta gain both muscle and a little bit of fat at the same time. If you have a really clean diet, you'll gain so much more muscle than fat that your overall body fat % will drop, but you'll still be gaining fat.

Yeah supplements are a step in the right direction. Personally I take protein and creatine, supplements arent necessary at all if all your nutritional needs are met with natural food. It's good you're getting results, but if you want more you're gonna have to work harder both at your diet and your training.

Well, I've actually taken creatine before. I got big pretty fast when I took it (this was probably about 3 or 4 years ago), but as soon as I got off of it, the muscle turned to flab. But at the same time, I was still bigger than before I started.

Well the thing is, I don't think my nutritional needs are met with natural food, I just happen to have a clean diet (well, I've had to work at it). But I'll take creatine into consideration as well, I'm just weary since my last experience with it wasn't too good.

My Ride
    All white 2003 Nikes

As far as the feminine thing for soy goes. I believe it raises your estrogen levels, but I've been a strict vegetarian for 5-6 years now and it hasn't feminized me yet. I don't work out for muscle mass just for martial arts, so I can't comment on that, but I can say I haven't wavered more than 5 pounds since high school. I'm evidence that it won't harm you, but it probably wont take you where it seems like you're going either.
    Black men walkin' wit' white girls on they arms
    I be mad at 'em, as if I know they moms
    told t' go beyond tha surface a person's a person
    when we, lessen our women, our condition seem t' worsen
    Common - Real People

George Bush does not care about black people - Kanye West

I believe it's effective if taken at the 8gram or less level (per serving). After that is when the negative side effects kick in.

My Ride
    All white 2003 Nikes

Originally posted by TrevorK
    I believe it's effective if taken at the 8gram or less level (per serving). After that is when the negative side effects kick in.
    All the 'veggie meat' I be eatin' got lots more than 8 grams in it. 'n' I ain't never eat only one serving. What kinda negative effects you talkin' bout?
    Black men walkin' wit' white girls on they arms
    I be mad at 'em, as if I know they moms
    told t' go beyond tha surface a person's a person
    when we, lessen our women, our condition seem t' worsen
    Common - Real People

George Bush does not care about black people - Kanye West

Originally posted by WhiteNikes

All the 'veggie meat' I be eatin' got lots more than 8 grams in it. 'n' I ain't never eat only one serving. What kinda negative effects you talkin' bout?
    Soy promotes estrogen growth - which is the biggest side effect for anyone who lifts weight.