Quantcast
Terrible conditions at the track lead to fiery crash - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Terrible conditions at the track lead to fiery crash

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Default Worst crash ever?

Maybe a repost - from 98 I think? Probably the worst crash video I've seen.

Edit: Original link replaced with new one posted below:

http://videos.cainer.net/Car_Vids/19...nship_fire.mpg

Khyron
    Last edited by Khyron; 10-31-2004 at 11:47 AM.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

holy shit.. that's horrible.. i've never seen that before.. the sounds are haunting... I'm hoping the driver of the red car went with no suffering.

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

DAMN... why would they race in wet like that thats so dangerous
    240 ka-t

YIKES!!!!!! That's a brutal racing crash. Poor Ferrari driver, damn! Didn't need to see that, I dunno, I feel sad witnessing something like that.

You would think with such dense fog/rain like that, the race would have been redflagged and called off. It's not like the fans can see anything anyways and it's horribly unsafe.

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Jesus , thats a horrible crash , glad he lived , how I dont know!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    '89 Silvia, '02 Xterra

links won't work for me

CA18DET Powered S13

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default Terrible conditions at the track lead to fiery crash

There is a post about this video already but the link is dead so I'm re-posting it.

http://videos.cainer.net/Car_Vids/19...nship_fire.mpg

Japanese racing star Tetsuya Ota was involved in a chain reaction collision during a GT championship race. Ota was trapped in his car for more than 50 seconds while exposed to 800-degree temperatures. There was no safety crew coming to the rescue as fellow drivers frantically extinguished the flames. The result ended with serious burns to Ota and a lawsuit against track promoters and sponsors. (30 million)
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Link is dead...I posted it in a new thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=790326
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Holly Shit!!!! Thats crazy!!!

My Ride

Driver was in 800 degrees for over 60 seconds. Pictures look like he has an artificial nose and hair and cannot use his right arm or hand very well. He sued for 5 million and got 900K or so.

As someone mentioned in another thread: And that ladies and gentlemen is why you wear a 3 layer firesuit no matter what division you're in.

Khyron

My Ride
    Sentra

not even 900k for that, that sucks

It was more than 900k hehe.

A racing car driver whose career ended with a sickening crash five years ago Wednesday was awarded 90 million yen compensation after the Tokyo District Court ruled race organizers were to blame for his crippling accident.

Tetsuya Ota fell well short of getting the 300 million he had been asking from the five organizers and the marshal of the 1998 race where he suffered severe burns that ruined his driving career, but received the vindication he had been looking for.

"The crash was caused when the flag car suddenly slowed down," Presiding Judge Tsuyoshi Ono said. "Firefighting and rescue preparations were also not up to scratch."

Ota was delighted with the court win. "I would like to thank everybody who has supported me along the way," the 43-year-old once referred to as Japan's best Ferrari handler said in the wake of the ruling.

Those ordered to pay Ota include Fuji Speedway in Shizuoka Prefecture, where the horrifying crash occurred, and TV Tokyo, which broadcast the race.

None of the defendants have stated whether they will appeal against the ruling, including TV Tokyo, which spent the entirety of the court battle arguing that it could not be regarded as one of the race organizers.

Court records said Ota's terrifying crash occurred during a warm-up lap before the official start of the race in May 1998. Ota's car burst into flames after slamming into another vehicle that had already stopped because of a different accident.

Ota was stuck in the fireball for almost 90 seconds before rescuers finally dragged him out. He sustained burns across his body and is still unable to move his right arm, right shoulder and fingers properly.

Judges ruled the flag car should have been traveling at about 60 kilometers per hour instead of the 150 kilometers it was doing, and caused the accident by slowing too quickly. Ota was forced to unexpectedly drop his pace and, as a result, he lost control and smash into the stationary vehicle.

They also decided that Ota was left in his flaming vehicle for too long and organizers had neglected their responsibility to get him out of the burning car within 30 seconds of the blaze erupting.

A pre-race agreement between Ota and the organizers not to pursue legal action in the event of an accident was also dismissed as unacceptable.

"A letter that tries to eliminate one party from taking any responsibility for major accidents caused by gross negligence is incorrect, unfair and not void in this court," presiding judge Ono said.

TV Tokyo's attempt to avoid being regarded as one of the race organizers was dismissed by the court, which ruled it was involved in sufficient decisions made about the race to be viewed as one of the organizations directly concerned with running it.

Ota made his debut in 1982, racing in the Formula 3000 series before switching to GT car races in which he competed in four straight Le Mans 24-hour races. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Oct. 29, 2003)
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride

Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

A racing car driver whose career ended with a sickening crash five years ago Wednesday was awarded 90 million yen compensation after the Tokyo District Court ruled race organizers were to blame for his crippling accident.

Tetsuya Ota fell well short of getting the 300 million he had been asking from the five organizers and the marshal of the 1998 race where he suffered severe burns that ruined his driving career, but received the vindication he had been looking for.
    Do the exchange rate... I was talking USD.

Khyron

"The crash was caused when the flag car suddenly slowed down," Presiding Judge Tsuyoshi Ono said. "Firefighting and rescue preparations were also not up to scratch."

Ota was delighted with the court win. "I would like to thank everybody who has supported me along the way," the 43-year-old once referred to as Japan's best Ferrari handler said in the wake of the ruling.

Those ordered to pay Ota include Fuji Speedway in Shizuoka Prefecture, where the horrifying crash occurred, and TV Tokyo, which broadcast the race.

None of the defendants have stated whether they will appeal against the ruling, including TV Tokyo, which spent the entirety of the court battle arguing that it could not be regarded as one of the race organizers.

Court records said Ota's terrifying crash occurred during a warm-up lap before the official start of the race in May 1998. Ota's car burst into flames after slamming into another vehicle that had already stopped because of a different accident.

Ota was stuck in the fireball for almost 90 seconds before rescuers finally dragged him out. He sustained burns across his body and is still unable to move his right arm, right shoulder and fingers properly.

Judges ruled the flag car should have been traveling at about 60 kilometers per hour instead of the 150 kilometers it was doing, and caused the accident by slowing too quickly. Ota was forced to unexpectedly drop his pace and, as a result, he lost control and smash into the stationary vehicle.

They also decided that Ota was left in his flaming vehicle for too long and organizers had neglected their responsibility to get him out of the burning car within 30 seconds of the blaze erupting.

A pre-race agreement between Ota and the organizers not to pursue legal action in the event of an accident was also dismissed as unacceptable.

"A letter that tries to eliminate one party from taking any responsibility for major accidents caused by gross negligence is incorrect, unfair and not void in this court," presiding judge Ono said.

TV Tokyo's attempt to avoid being regarded as one of the race organizers was dismissed by the court, which ruled it was involved in sufficient decisions made about the race to be viewed as one of the organizations directly concerned with running it.

Ota made his debut in 1982, racing in the Formula 3000 series before switching to GT car races in which he competed in four straight Le Mans 24-hour races. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Oct. 29, 2003)

My Ride
    E36///M3

holy shit. it sounded like a movie. that was insane.
    Introduce your heart to your throat.

My Ride
    purple people eater

that was fuckin crazy. The sound was uncanny good too - like holy! it sounds almost like it was added in afterwards, its so clear. But man o man why did that car explode like that?

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
    The sound was uncanny good too - like holy! it sounds almost like it was added in afterwards, its so clear.
    I think sound was edited/enhanced along with the addition of the music near the end.