Quantcast
Damn Speeding Ticket....Worth Fighting? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Damn Speeding Ticket....Worth Fighting?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    1996 Honda Civic Si
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Damn Speeding Ticket....Worth Fighting?

    Ok well I just got my very first ticket tonight. Damn this sucks!! Anyways...I was coming out of Calgary on Glenmore Trail going East. There was a construction sign posted up, and then a 50kmh sign right after. A little bit farther down the road, there was an 80kmh sign, probably about 1/2 a kilometer down the road. I started to speed up, and next thing I know I see a cop car on the side of the road. I started to slow down a bit (like everyone usually does), and the next thing I know I get pulled over and given a ticket for 25 over. Because of the 80 kmh sign after, I had told him that I thought that construction was over (This being at 10:00 at night aswell) and that there was a sign saying 80. Are there any possibilites of me getting a lesser fine or no demerits and the same fine? I'm going down to Rocky Mountain Plaza Friday to see what I can do....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition
    Posts
    1,385
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    They'll probably drop the fine and take away demerits, if you explain your story to the CP.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    905 B-town/Sauga, ON
    My Ride
    Acura 1.6 EL
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    fight it ..!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    1996 Honda Civic Si
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Alright! Hopefully this goes well then...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    Benzo
    Posts
    4,357
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    How much was the ticket?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    1996 Honda Civic Si
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    $150

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    4,011
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Call up points , get them to do it , they most likely can get you just a fine and no points.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander
    Posts
    1,563
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Why would he use 400+ lawyers to get rid of his first minor ticket? He should drive down the road with a camera and show the 2 speed signs.

    Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    2,354
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Yeah, I agree with Khyron.

    Photograph the signs assuming they are still there ... and then go down yourself and deal with it.

    Definitely fight it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    1996 Honda Civic Si
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I was thinking the same thing too about taking a picture of them

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Khyron
    Why would he use 400+ lawyers to get rid of his first minor ticket? He should drive down the road with a camera and show the 2 speed signs.

    Khyron
    Why would that help?

    If there is a sign to indicate the start of a construction zone, there's a sign to indicate the end of it. Signs in between don't matter (In terms of posted speeds).

    Maybe the poster should pay the ticket and focus more on the road?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    cd7 coupe
    Posts
    2,653
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Damn Speeding Ticket....Worth Fighting?

    Originally posted by grocko
    Ok well I just got my very first ticket tonight. Damn this sucks!! Anyways...I was coming out of Calgary on Glenmore Trail going East. There was a construction sign posted up, and then a 50kmh sign right after. A little bit farther down the road, there was an 80kmh sign, probably about 1/2 a kilometer down the road. I started to speed up, and next thing I know I see a cop car on the side of the road. I started to slow down a bit (like everyone usually does), and the next thing I know I get pulled over and given a ticket for 25 over. Because of the 80 kmh sign after, I had told him that I thought that construction was over (This being at 10:00 at night aswell) and that there was a sign saying 80. Are there any possibilites of me getting a lesser fine or no demerits and the same fine? I'm going down to Rocky Mountain Plaza Friday to see what I can do....
    Dont go on Frday, you have to wait till they get it in, which is 10 business days after you recieved the ticket!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    Audi S3
    Posts
    1,935
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    just goto your court date and chances are they will drop the demerits because its your first ticket

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander
    Posts
    1,563
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by TrevorK


    Why would that help?

    If there is a sign to indicate the start of a construction zone, there's a sign to indicate the end of it. Signs in between don't matter (In terms of posted speeds).

    Maybe the poster should pay the ticket and focus more on the road?
    Maybe in Edmonton - but here, there are no "End Construction" signs for shorter civic zones. The zones along Sarcee just have 50 signs until it's over then its a normal 80 sign. It's up to the construction people to remove or bag the normal speed signs.

    Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Bowling shoes
    Posts
    178
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by TrevorK


    Why would that help?

    If there is a sign to indicate the start of a construction zone, there's a sign to indicate the end of it. Signs in between don't matter (In terms of posted speeds).

    Maybe the poster should pay the ticket and focus more on the road?
    Kyhron is right here is the highway traffic act:

    Application of speed limits re signs
    109 Where
    (a) a speed limit is established or prescribed pursuant to
    (i) section 106 or 108,
    (ii) the Government Property Traffic Act (Canada), or
    (iii) the National Parks Act (Canada),
    and
    (b) a sign is erected along the highway indicating the speed
    limit so established or prescribed,
    that speed limit applies to all that portion of the highway that lies
    between the point at which a sign is erected indicating the speed
    limit and the next point at which a sign is erected indicating a
    greater or lesser speed limit or indicating that the speed limit has
    ceased to apply.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas/Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    1998 Mercedes Benz SL500/2000 Grand Cherokee V8
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I would concur that the 3 am construction zones are getting out of hand. Clearly no one is working, yet 50 on deerfoot? Definitely requires some reform. I have never seen anyone working there at that time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Bowling shoes
    Posts
    178
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Texas
    I would concur that the 3 am construction zones are getting out of hand. Clearly no one is working, yet 50 on deerfoot? Definitely requires some reform. I have never seen anyone working there at that time.
    The construction zone and reduced speed limit isn't just for safety of the workers it's also for safety of the general public travelling the roads... here's one of the FAQ on transport alberta site:

    Why should I slow down for construction zones when there is no work being done?

    Even if it seems there is no activity in a construction zone, there may be other less obvious hazards such as loose gravel chips and uneven pavement that can be dangerous and cause damage to vehicles travelling at high speeds. Alberta Transportation urges motorists to obey all signs and slow down when going through construction zones.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    99' Civic Si
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Technically you're not supposed to accelerate past 50 until u reach the 80 sign, but everyone does earlier anyway. U can likely get rid of demerits at least, maybe fine too.

    2pm construction zones are getting out of hand, THEY"RE NEVER EVER WORKING...until overtime starts

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    1996 Honda Civic Si
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I was chatting with my Dad about the ticket today, and he was kind of saying I was screwed because there was no "end of construction" sign before that 80, making it still the construction zone. And that's all fine and all...but shouldn't that 80 sign be covered up? It's their fault for not covering it up so the ticket should at least be lessend (sp?)

    Oh and TrevorK...I was watching the road...I saw BOTH signs, was going 50, and then when I saw the 80 I sped up...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by MerfBall


    Kyhron is right here is the highway traffic act:

    Application of speed limits re signs
    109 Where
    (a) a speed limit is established or prescribed pursuant to
    (i) section 106 or 108,
    (ii) the Government Property Traffic Act (Canada), or
    (iii) the National Parks Act (Canada),
    and
    (b) a sign is erected along the highway indicating the speed
    limit so established or prescribed,
    that speed limit applies to all that portion of the highway that lies
    between the point at which a sign is erected indicating the speed
    limit and the next point at which a sign is erected indicating a
    greater or lesser speed limit or indicating that the speed limit has
    ceased to apply.
    I've never heard of that before - so that means that construction companies could be partially to blame for this as they are erecting the signs?

    EDIT: As well, does that section apply to construction zones or just to government posted signs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Worth fighting?

    By tulit in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 23
    Latest Threads: 02-22-2004, 03:53 PM
  2. Fighting speeding ticket..

    By lammer in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 09-27-2003, 10:31 AM
  3. Ideas for fighting ticket?

    By tegdream in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 04-25-2003, 06:34 PM
  4. Fighting a speeding ticket

    By core_upt in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 03-13-2003, 07:45 PM
  5. Fighting Speeding Tickets

    By ancient in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 11-05-2002, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •