Quantcast
sr20det vs ca18det - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: sr20det vs ca18det

My Ride
    It's held together by zip ties

Default sr20det vs ca18det

hey,

There is always alot of debates about what is better. The ca18det:1809cc EFI DOHC 16-valve 4cyl Turbo Horse Power: 175hp @6400rpm Torque: 225Nm @4000rpm RWD 5-speed and 4-speed auto, FWD 5-speed

and the sr20det: S13 1998cc EFI DOHC 16-valve 4cyl Turbo Horse Power: 205hp @6000rpm Torque: 274Nm @4800rpm 5-speed Transmission Nissan Silvia S13 SR20DET

at this time i am leaning towards the ca18det mainly because its $1300 cheaper for the full complete swap. well give your opinion.

Laurier

My Ride
    changes daily :D

hmm i would go for the sr20det. ask hollywood, he has one in his car. and his car is so

i would say sr20det, simply because there is much more aftermarket support on this side of the world in my opinion, and because it does have more power stock
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    Honda

Hey Lorenzo, wassup? Welcome to beyond man, CP is dying!
    Anyways, the only advantage to the CA18 is that if you're still trying to get your fastback 240, then the CA is the original JDM engine. It was in the 180sx's over in Japan, and it's still a really good engine, but less potential than the SR20.

Some guys over on NICO sell 180sx quarter panel windows to replace the 240sx ones incase you do get the swap done. Of course, the tail lights from the 180sx are a must if you have the windows and engine

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Building a Sil80 would be nice!

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    It's held together by zip ties

hey,

thanks for the imput. I am a person who is mega into recreating jdm cars. I would love to do a EK civic type R or a silvia S13 but I want to start with a 180sx first. The 180sx had the sr20det in it in the later years i believe so I will just have to think aboutbut i am still looking towards the ca18det even though there probably will only have 150 hp at the wheels. ahh still time to think i won't have the fastback for a couple months.

hey ninjak, ya i am sick of cp now. albertacars.net died so i have moved here. I am still thinking about joining NICO and the 240sx club. Well talk to you later.

Laurier

My Ride
    Godzilla.

......sr20det ................. ...Worth the extra $$$

My Ride
    2007 Impreza Wagon

Originally posted by shadowz
    Building a Sil80 would be nice!

My Ride
    RB26-s14

lots of people say that the CA18det has better valve train than the SR20DET, plus it has an iron block which makes it stronger. but it was only in production for a couple of years, we are talking over 10 years ago. so finding one is very hard. if you want a good valve train in a SR20det just get stronger springs and some titainium retainers, then you can rev it to 8500 RPM. It might just be better getting a sr20det instead of a ca18det.
    AutoDream

The CA18DET is apparently much better for an all out high horsepower full drag engine. I've heard due to the iron block, it can tolerate much higher HP/L. As well, it can tolerate higher revs due to the valvetrain and variable intake runners.

The SR20DET has better low end torque and is better for a street car.

Then there are those things where it just comes down to personal preference, like would you rather have a timing belt or timing chain? Opinions vary. Some say that timing chains have no place on DOHC engines, due to metal fatigue and what can happen once the chain snaps (a snapped chain at over 7K revs can be very destructive)

There are other arguments I'm not too sure on. Compression, bore and stroke, aftermarket availability etc, which come down to having good arguments on both sides. Go to some S12 sites for info on the CA18DET, there's tons of info on the SR20DET out there.

Personally, I think the SR is a much more safe choice due to the wealth of info and aftermarket out there, but the CA is a VERY underrated powerplant, and has its potential, no doubt about that.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    AP1

Default hmm

get the CA and you will always be spending more money trying to keep up with the SR20DET