Quantcast
Moving countries...what can be brought home? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Moving countries...what can be brought home?

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Red face Moving countries...what can be brought home?

I have ....
    A 4.1 speaker combo for my computer
    My computer (Amd XP Athlon 2800+, 80gb, 512, 128Nvidia FX, CD-RW, Asus mobo, AOpen case)
    Nokia 8210 Cell
    Motorolla "timepiece" or something Cell

The speakers are 240V, as is the computer. Canada is 110 I think right? They plug into the wall as everything usually does, can I get a converter for my speakers ? Like a plug-to-plug voltage converter so it doesn't fry my speakers / blow a fuse in my house? And will I loose sound quality ?

My computer :| My 330W PSU doesn't have a switch from 240 to 110 like most do, for some odd reason. And instead of getting a surge protector + volt converter + plug converter etc. I was thinking of just getting a new canadian PSU - any drama's with that ?

The two cell phones are Australian, and I was wondering - as they're both on Sim cards (Iono if Canada uses sims or not, never had a cell back there) I was wondering what I have to do to make my phone work back home? Do I just get a Canadian sim card and be on my way? or do I have to replace something inside or do something weird.. Hmmm..

Getting rid of my speakers / cells is an invonceinience as I'm moving in 2 weeks and don't want to try to sell them and buy replacements back home etc. if it's just so easy as to stick things in my suitcase and fly home.

The cell thing I believe because Australia and Japan and China use different cell frequencies - and all the students at my college all have chinese/japanese electronics... and they all work here.. so is there hope for my beloved Nokia?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance !
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

for your cell phones you can just get them unlocked once u get here for quite cheap and they should work

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

8210 may not work here..you should check that out

You can just Swap your PSU out for one that can switch to 110. It'll work fine, for your speakers...you may need to get a power converter as the plugs are different I'm assuming? From what I understand is that these don't come cheap. Maybe ebay?

My Ride
    '11 Sonata 2.0T Limited

I lived in a few other countries. you can usually get voltage regualtors from the country you are going to. just go to an appilance store. and for the plugs you can get multi country adapters that will fit ur plug. I recommend getting all of this over at that country. dont worry about the computer and other things not going with the voltage there. once u get a voltage regulator it will protect you from surges AND supply 110/220 power to anything electronic.

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

Power converters are a pain in the ass.. I don't think it's worth it.

I have to use a North America --> Australia one for my digital camera and some other stuff, and I use this one I got from Radio Shack, and it's a piece of shit.

It's not worth the hassle, IMO. Everything I bought in Australia I'm going to sell before I go back home.

Don't think your phone will work.. it's a dual band 900/1800, while North America uses 850/1900.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8210-19.php
    http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support...ogers_network4

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Are you a canadian citizen or an Austrailian citizen?

If you're an australian citizen moving to Canada, you can actually bring your car here, even if it's an R34 skyline GT-R .

Well, it'll be allowed here for a few years anyways if you know how to manage the paperwork .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

Really?

That's sweet.. maybe I'll apply for an Aussie citizenship after I'm done, just for that purpose.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

I'm originally Canadian - but I've got dual citizenship And permanent residency in New Zealand..

Yea I'm thinking about just selling my speakers, it's kind've a biatch to bring em back and convert em and all that because even if they're small - still take up too much space in my suit case :| Iono, how much is a plug converter? I bought one for $25 in the Vancouver airport before coming here and tried to chage my discman...and it melted :| Not like liquid melted but started smoking alot and hasn't worked since.

Damn Australia

Thanks for all the help everyone !
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com