Quantcast
Comparing Korea - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Comparing Korea

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Comparing Korea

Man, I'm seeing more and more differences with each passing day as to just how different Korea is when compared to Canada. You may have already read the last thread I posted about how the kids were "disciplined" by their teachers and many were outraged and said that they would retaliate by hitting back etc.

Anyway, today I witnessed another huge difference between the two countries or asian culture as a whole. After working out, I got on the elevator and there was another older man, looked to be in his 60's or so. Upon reaching the bottom floor, the doors opened and there were two teenagers, about 15 or 16 and they tried to get onto the elevator before either the old man or myself could get off of the elevator. But before the boys had a chance to step foot in the elevator, the older man put out his hands and forced them off and proceeded to yell at them and they simply bowed their heads and nodded!

hahah, man, I'm realizing just how ill raised our current generation of teenagers really is! The lack or respect for their elders, peers and themselves is amazing! And again, it can be seen in my last thread where the ones that said that if a teacher hit them, "oh they better look out! I'd knock the fuck out of them! blah blah blah" I mean really, are they being hit because the teacher has a fetish for it! No! It's because they deserved it and again, those that responded that they were disciplined in this manner are the older generation and can now respect what was done. I bet there will still be some members that will say "oh man, if some old guy did that to me, I'd beat the hell out of him" with that being said, my point will be made. Children are simply disrespectful, but then again, how can you expect an ill raised little brat to respect an older stranger when he or she can not even respect his or her own parents!

As well, I look at the students and not one single junior high student is dressed like a 5 dollar Thai Hooker! When I did my practicum in a Calgary junior high school, almost every female student looked like they were in a Sisquo video and every male student looked like a icy hot stunna!

I'm not saying that conservative is better because I'm all for sexy, but really, there's a time and place for it and the fact that 14 year olds in calgary look like they're 30 is not cool. By the time they are 30 they'll either need so much plastic surgery or they'll end up looking like they're 100. I don't know, maybe it's just in their genes, but they age a lot better, but I'm betting it's because they don't wear face deteriorating make up like North American students nor do they pretend to be 10 years older than they really are. And like I have stated, it's a cultural thing because I've seen Asians in Calgary who are still dressing slutty and wearing the makeup and I guess it starts from a younger age and it just progresses.

Like I said, just interesting the little things that one notices.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    a car

Korean kids are crazy these days. I am glad to hear that they are still beating some sense into them. Although, I hear it isn't really working.

Cultures are so different.

Two words... submissive women... BA ZING!!!

Good observations Leo,

a huge factor which influences the gap between the North American culture and the East Asian cultures would have to be Confucianism

Korea is, I believe, the one society in East Asia that takes confucian teachings to the extreme, I think Japan has become a lot more relaxed on this and China as well.
    Confucianism is basically instilled to East Asians when they're born and it's all about knowing your role lol (quite literally). Everything is so orderly and built with the understanding of the importance of hierarchies in the family and in society.

North America and the western world in general does not have any overlying philosophy such as Confucianism to guide its moral and ethical principles thus we see a difference between the cultures.

I believe it is has more to do with the society you live in... its just different here. It is not really wrong and the system that they have in places like Korea are not neccesarily better. There are good sides and bad sides to anything I suppose. =)

I thought a friend I met who moved from japan had a interesting view. "people who live here are different they say what they feel."

Originally posted by thich
    a huge factor which influences the gap between the North American culture and the East Asian cultures would have to be Confucianism
    I believe religion would play a very large part but if we are looking at Korea it is very unique in that There are a fair number more Christians than buddhists in South korea.

Religious breakdown of South Korea
    20 percent of the population belongs to various sects of Buddhism
    35 percent are Christian

Now you would look at a lot of other countries in asia this would be opposite.
    Last edited by shadow; 11-18-2004 at 12:23 PM.