Quantcast
What is your take on severely overweight people? Do you feel sorry for them at all? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your take on severely overweight people? Do you feel sorry for them at all?

My Ride
    97' Pearl White Toyota Celica w/ purple tint

Default What is your take on severely overweight people? Do you feel sorry for them at all?

Not to be rude, but I don't. Cause how I see it is, just because you are overweight, doesn't mean you are unable to excercize and lose some pounds. It just takes commitment and confidence. What I don't appreciate is people (like ones at my work), say about 400lbs, are just downright unfriendly and rude to everyone. Everything they have to bItch about, or nag.

If they weren't overweight, I can assure you, they would not be acting that way. But when you think about it, the reason why they are overweight, is mainly - yes themselves. They are the only ones to get out of it. Even if they have severe problems with always gaining weight, it doesn't take out the possibility of losing weight. You always see people on Oprah, etc lose weight. It shows its possible and it just takes faith in yourself and motivation. Consistent motivation!

What I dont like is when they complain with how they are and how they look, but every single day they eat chips, candy, choc bars, fast food for lunch, snacks and dinner. Dont even excersize, no source of physical activity! Little stuff like taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Drinking lots of water to keep hydrated, and NOT hitting those handicap buttons to open doors for them when they can easily open it themselves. That is why they are overweight right there. Not to sound like an a$$ or anything, cause I'm not, but I just thought I would bring this topic up and see how others feel about it. I have nothing against overweight people. I just dont appreciate when they try to bring down others due to their appearance and feeling that others are to blame for their weight problems. I'm out.
    Last edited by GucciBoy; 11-17-2004 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    Mom-van

Default Re: What is your take on severely overweight people? Do you feel sorry for them at all?

Originally posted by GucciBoy

If they weren't overweight, I can assure you, they would not be acting that way. But when you think about it, the reason why they are overweight, is mainly - yes themselves. They are the only ones to get out of it. Even if they have severe problems with always gaining weight, it doesn't take out the possibility of losing weight.

What I dont like is when they complain with how they are and how they look, but every single day they eat chips, candy, choc bars, fast food for lunch, snacks and dinner. Dont even excersize, no source of physical activity! Little stuff like taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Drinking lots of water to keep hydrated, and NOT hitting those handicap buttons to open doors for them when they can easily open it themselves. That is why they are overweight right there. Not to sound like an a$$ or anything, cause I'm not, but I just thought I would bring this topic up and see how others feel about it. I have nothing against overweight people. I just dont appreciate when they try to bring down others due to their appearance and feeling that others are to blame for their weight problems. I'm out.

The first paragraph I quoted I do not agree with. Care to PROVE to me that if these people weren't overweight, that they would not be nagging assholes? Cuz I know plenty of jerks, hell, I've dated them, and they sure as hell aren't 400 lbs!

And some people DO have physical disabilities that make them gain weight/make it next to impossible to lose weight, such as my friend with a thyroid disorder. The thyroid glands do not discrete the right amount of hormone, and therefore their body's metabolism is shot, which is what burns your calories thruout the day.

HOWEVER!!! Whatever the case may be, physical disability, or pure laziness/bad lifestyle choices... people of all sizes, ages, weights need to start eating healthier!!! I will admit, I notice an overweight person at fast food places, more than average weight people, mainly because they're showing the world why they look the way they do. It honestly disgusts me, not to be mean, but because my career has to do with changing lifestyle habits, and getting people to be more fit and healthy.

From working at a gym in Regina (they have a HUGE one here: Athletic Innovations Fit Zone, in the SE) I have personally seen many success stories from girls/guys I worked with as personal trainers, and even had a few for myself.

Society today is overweight. It's gross, but there are people working towards making it better. But everyone needs to chip in, and have the will to do it, because the motivation is there for you!
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ What she said!

I just hate having to sit next to a larger person on an airplane or on the bus or something when they've got the 'fat overlap.' I hate watching my tax money go towards their future heart attacks as well. I had some friends from the East here though and the first thing they said was that it looked like people worked out more here which is good!

My Ride
    97' Pearl White Toyota Celica w/ purple tint

Originally posted by davidI
    ^ What she said!

I just hate having to sit next to a larger person on an airplane or on the bus or something when they've got the 'fat overlap.' I hate watching my tax money go towards their future heart attacks as well. I had some friends from the East here though and the first thing they said was that it looked like people worked out more here which is good!
    I agree. And great posts by both of you.

I had this 450 lb woman sit next to me once at work and she was wearing so MUCH deodorant and baby powder - gross. ...urgh.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

It seems like there not more assholish or anything. Its just since there obese, we tend to be more critical to what there saying. I mean, i've met plenty of really nice overweight people, and plenty of not so nice over weight people. But same goes for people who are average weight, u meet some nice people, and alot of not so nice. you just notice it more b/c there overweight.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

whatever, all fat people are jolly

My Ride
    greenwheels.nl

did anybody see supersize me. That one guy that got his stomach made smaller lost some mad weight. I don't think that obesity should be classified as a disease or a disability. That's bullshit

My Ride
    GAR CON!!!!!!!

I do agree with the fat people being bitches and naggers, its true though... skinny people are much happier people because they have 1 less thing to gripe about..

Loosing wieght makes u feel better, which makes u generally happier

My Ride
    rubbish

The power-wheelchair lady in traffic comes to mind......

My Ride
    a wrx.

most fat people mess up their own bodies, but there is a small portion (haha PORTION) of fatties that are genetically predispositioned to being fat. lets not ignore the minority here.

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

cuz lets face it, being severely overweight, much like being a crook, is typically a lifestyle choice of the individual, and as such being fat is a crime against the persons own body and against society, financially and aesthetically.

Amen!
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by B17a

Amen!
    hahahahaha get outa here ya big fattie

My Ride
    Impreza RS

Hey Gucciboy I'm with you 100%

If overweight people are happy with who they are, then let them be happy. But the one thing I can't stand is when they are obese, unhappy with it, but only complain about how hard it is to lose weight.

I have to eat 6 meals a day just to maintain my 170lbs, and I'm going to have to toss in another 2 when I have time to bulk again. So excuse me if I sound a little bit biased when I say it's the easiest thing in the world to lose weight. For bulkers, we have to sacrifice the foods we love for foods we don't like, then eat LOTS of the foods we dont like (can't recall how many times I've almost puked because I pushed it too far).

People looking to lose weight only have to trade foods they love for foods they don't like... big deal. Sure, genes play a role in getting and maintaining a fit body, but motivation is more key than anything here.

Am I the only one that thinks in 30 years, half the population will need power wheelchairs to get around?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    hahahahaha get outa here ya big fattie
    Fuck you insensitive bastard, it's my pituatary gland!
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I just hate it how you can call your friend a smoker, and tease them for it and tell them to stop before they die, but if you call a fatty a fatty and tell them to stop eating before they die its not cool.

My Ride
    Mom-van

They don't have to stop eating, they just have to make better lifestyle choices, including what they put in their mouth.
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

.' I hate watching my tax money go towards their future heart attacks as well.
    what about all those damn active people who get sports injuries ?
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    1991 Acura Integra

^ What she said!

I agree. If you want to, you can loose the weight. It all depends on how bad you want it.

I dont feel sorry for anyone who eats, and eats, and eats. We all have choices.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

what about all those damn active people who get sports injuries ?
    I some how think that a double bipass is a little more expensive than a knee surgery...

I have to eat 6 meals a day just to maintain my 170lbs, and I'm going to have to toss in another 2 when I have time to bulk again. So excuse me if I sound a little bit biased when I say it's the easiest thing in the world to lose weight. For bulkers, we have to sacrifice the foods we love for foods we don't like, then eat LOTS of the foods we dont like (can't recall how many times I've almost puked because I pushed it too far).
    One mistake.
    It's not always that easy to lose weight. Some people have a overly fast metabolism, and those are the people who have problems gaining weight. Others have a slow metabolism and that is why they have problems losing weight. So just because it's easier for you to loser weight doesn't mean its that way for everyone.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast