Quantcast
Weird Sound when braking. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Weird Sound when braking.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Default Weird Sound when braking.

K, I tried explaining this to finboy earlier, but he doesn't really know honda's well.

I have a 92 Prelude SR. when I press apply the brake HALF way i can hear something kinda "clanging" but if I let off, or brake harder, it goes away.. The sound is hmm, kinda like "guh dunk... guh dunk... guh dunk..."as the wheel turns... but as soon as I left off the brake OR apply the brakes harder... it goes away.

Its really hard to explain... but I'm sure someone would know. I know that SOME ball joints were replaced before I purchased it, but I am not sure if there are 2 or 4 on preludes.

Any help?

sounds like warped rotors.

My Ride
    08 Acura CSX-S Gone:1991 DSM Laser / '96 VW Jetta

Any pedal pulsation? If so, check the run out on your rotors.

Does your car have sliding/floating calipers? Take a look at them, make sure the sliding pins are lubricated and check for loose bolts.

Do you have abs? If so you may have your abs activating at low speeds and it might be a faulty wheel speed sensor.

Check you CV boots for tears - it might be a worn out CV.

It could also be a bad wheel bearing.

Also check for loose tie-rods and suspension components & bushings.

What suck about trying to diganose a problem over the 'net is you can't see/hear it and its hard to tell from even the best description what the porblem is w/o looking at. I hope those suggestion might help....
    Last edited by SpeedStar; 11-24-2004 at 05:44 PM.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by SpeedStar
    Any pedal pulsation? If so, check the run out on your rotors.
    Nope. No pulsating.
    Does your car have sliding/floating calipers? Take a look at them, make sure the sliding pins are lubricated and check for loose bolts.[/B]
    I have no idea if Ludes have them.
    Do you have abs? If so you may have your abs activating at low speeds and it might be a faulty wheel speed sensor.[/B]
    Yea, I do have abs. This sound doesn't come across as the abs kicking in though.
    Check you CV boots for tears - it might be a worn out CV.[/B]
    I just got new tires put on at Kal-Tire. And they said everything looked good when they had it up on the hoist. Not sure if this would be something they check?
    It could also be a bad wheel bearing.[/B]
    Ok.....
    Also check for loose tie-rods and suspension components & bushings.[/B]
    Hmm, also tie rods would get checked would they not, when getting new tires mounted? presumably??

well heres a birhgt idea for you, take the car in for a front end inspection

My Ride
    MB C63

hmmm my dad described something similiar on the 89 prelude we have here...
    ive never heard it happened after he mentioned it tho

but he told me that when he pressed the brake it would make a loud banging noise...and it only happened once

does it only happen when you are moving or even when your stopped?

if it happens when your stopped just hoist your car up take your wheels off and get someone to press the brakes while you watch your rotors and the rest of the stuff behind the wheel.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by vegas2005baby
    well heres a birhgt idea for you, take the car in for a front end inspection
    I'm going to smart ass.. Just trying to get some idea's before I go, so I don't get ripped off...

fucking Newbs.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by djayz
    hmmm my dad described something similiar on the 89 prelude we have here...
    ive never heard it happened after he mentioned it tho

but he told me that when he pressed the brake it would make a loud banging noise...and it only happened once

does it only happen when you are moving or even when your stopped?

if it happens when your stopped just hoist your car up take your wheels off and get someone to press the brakes while you watch your rotors and the rest of the stuff behind the wheel.
    Only happens when I am moving, err coming to a stop... like half on the brakes coasting... hard to explain.. but theres nothing when I cruising or stopped...

it does sound like warped rotors ,but maybe wrong ,when you say there is no pulsation in the brakes ,are you trying it at higher speeds ? ,they maybe only slightly warped ,try buzzing up th 100 km and lightly stepping on the brakes ,pulsation is more evedent at a higher speed..

My Ride
    98 crown victoria

Check your break the sensor, it could be dirty.
    It very well can be a cracked pad. Take out the caliper and inspect the pad. 90% of the times it's that. it's not the rotors yet, but if you let this occur for long you may develop warped rotors. Not a good idea. Also try going down a really steep hill at about 100 - 110 km/h and press on the break at various times. See if you hear a sound that sounds like a warped rotor, but doesn't pulsate. If that's the car, please do yourself a favour, inspect the calipers, and for sure the pads!!! I developed this problem after 200km of getting new pads. And they were the rayXXXX brand. $90 for the front ones!! :-(

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by apollo guy
    it does sound like warped rotors ,but maybe wrong ,when you say there is no pulsation in the brakes ,are you trying it at higher speeds ? ,they maybe only slightly warped ,try buzzing up th 100 km and lightly stepping on the brakes ,pulsation is more evedent at a higher speed..
    I get no pulsating ever.. not at high speeds, not at low speeds...

Originally posted by rayoun
    Check your break the sensor, it could be dirty.
    It very well can be a cracked pad. Take out the caliper and inspect the pad. 90% of the times it's that. it's not the rotors yet, but if you let this occur for long you may develop warped rotors. Not a good idea. Also try going down a really steep hill at about 100 - 110 km/h and press on the break at various times. See if you hear a sound that sounds like a warped rotor, but doesn't pulsate. If that's the car, please do yourself a favour, inspect the calipers, and for sure the pads!!! I developed this problem after 200km of getting new pads. And they were the rayXXXX brand. $90 for the front ones!! :-(
    I really don't think its warped rotors... was gonna take it to get checked today, but I can't be bothered in this weather..

My Ride
    98 crown victoria

Originally posted by DJ Lazy

I get no pulsating ever.. not at high speeds, not at low speeds...

I really don't think its warped rotors... was gonna take it to get checked today, but I can't be bothered in this weather..

I never said that it is a warped rotor. I said it could develop into one ;-)
    I had the exact same issue with my crown vic, and i waited too long (it went on for 7000km). When i took the caliper off the rotor, the pad just fell out into 3 pieces, and i had to force the rotor out, because it was so warped. My advice to you is to take it to crappy tire, and while they're taking the tire off, ask them to also take the rotor off!!
    it won't cost you anything!

My Ride
    89 Celica Turbo 4WD

It could just be that something got on ur rotor and kinda melted on there, i had that same kind noise on my rear rotor. So i looked at it and there was a little chunk of something on there, so i took some emery cloth and sanded it down, just take a good look at the rotor too see if any shit is on it.

My Ride
    1991 Honda Civic Si B16A1

When you took your car to Kal tire how long had it been since the wheels were off of it? Sometimes aluminum wheels get seized onto the hub service and then they need to be pryed off, its possible that they bent a backing plate/shield.

lopsided rotars?