Quantcast
Moderators suggestion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Moderators suggestion

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Default Moderators suggestion

Some of the mods might not be too frilled with this idea but I was thinking that we could mimick slashdot's way of promoting users to mods.

Associated with each user is a rating; kind of like the traders rating that we have now except that every other user can give another user a rating.

Maybe a 1 for good and -1 for bad.

Users with enough score on the positive side can be promoted to being a temporary mod for maybe a couple of weeks or so and then be demoted back to normal user and having their score reset.

I was actually thinking how to deal with n00bs and their increased stupidity and this might actually keep them in check and give them an incentive to behave.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

Not a bad idea, except for the part about them being mods. How about earning your way into Ask Leo?

My Ride

Originally posted by buh_buh
    Not a bad idea, except for the part about them being mods. How about earning your way into Ask Leo?

Well I mean newbie can't be mods ... there might be other criterias. For example, you have to be a member for 6 months, have X posts/day and have a rating of N ... even still you have to be in good standing and are voted to be a mod by the super mods, y'kno
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride

I like the Ask Leo idea too that way if they're just generally stupid ... we can just ban them right away!
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

Well I mean newbie can't be mods ... there might be other criterias. For example, you have to be a member for 6 months, have X posts/day and have a rating of N ... even still you have to be in good standing and are voted to be a mod by the super mods, y'kno

but Urrric..."X" posts a day will lead to what you and I do (postwhoring)...and I mean we piss ONE person off and *BOOM*...there goes our rating Bro...I like the concept...I just see a LOT of faults with it, esp considering the users of B.Ca...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

and like... if the mods agree, crack down the useless posts/ threads more and make it instant ban...

... yes i jst wanna ban more people..

My Ride

yes but consider the rest of the post.

I mean you can be a postwhore but can a stupid postwhoring newbie last 6 month while getting a good rating and being in good standing with the super mods and be a respected member of the community.

And even when they are mods, they won't have the ability to ban people, it should only be a suggestion to the super-mods whether a user should be ban or not. And their status would be immediately revoked if they use their powers in an inappropriate manner.

I realize at first glance that there are many faults to the system but if one were to seriously consider its viability, then one would dive deeper into designing the system parameters.

I actually read this idea in my self-organization book where it talks about how individual, "unintelligent (no pun intended), chaos can work together to form global order. And the book talk about how slashdot's forums are self-organized using the idea that I've briefly outlined and it's amazingly successful and self-sustaining. You give a system a set of criterias, some parameters to follow, and let the system run and see how it turns out. Maybe I'm just a big geek rambling ... but maybe access to Ask Leo might possibly be a good trial run.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I dont see a need in having something like this set up. Potential Mods are discussed between us and we make a decision...having 80 people become mods doesn't solve anything. I personally am satisfied with the coverage...almost guaranteed at least ONE of us are online at any given time.

Others might disagree, but having moderatorship based on points is not a good idea, and leads to unethical behavior to achieve it, and is useless, as we sort of just appoint one out of the blue whenever neccessary. Remember, this is not a democracy :tongue:
    Travel

My Ride

Originally posted by Ben
    Remember, this is not a democracy :tongue:

Soooo you mean choice is an illusion created by the powerful?
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

Soooo you mean choice is an illusion created by the powerful?
    you shouldnt even have an illusion of choice at beyond.ca. If you do you have been smoking way too much PCP.

My Ride

you shouldnt even have an illusion of choice at beyond.ca. If you do you have been smoking way too much PCP.

Hey, I get a deal if I buy bulk!
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

werrd...there are I'm sure archivs of banned users who thought they had power...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1998 Mercedes Benz SL500/2000 Grand Cherokee V8

Dude, I would be fucked out of this site forever... I would have a -123984 rating inside of an hour... Remember... Ive been labeled an inbred racist from Texas.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Yea, not a bad idea (I'd wouldnt mind being a mod!), but all noobs and ppl like kanjus_paki will be whoring it up and then once they get access to being a mod will most likely abuse the power of being one.

My Ride
    Mom-van

We had user ratings on another forum I was on and it got abused.

For example, there were a couple people on there that decided "oh, I hate Leah today" and I actually got tons of negative ratings, and along with ratings, you can leave comments. The comments got so bad I was almost ready to get the police involved and charge them with harrassment... and I mean, it takes a lot to get me mad.

I don't think it's a good idea.... people can be way too immature about it.
    ~*Leah*~

How many moderators are there now?

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

yeah this would not work because of all the shit heads on here, they would rate people bad just for fun and no one would have a positive rating.

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

Too easy to be abused bottem line. People would gang up on other people, groups would develop on beyond etc... I think the mods do a fine job, the site could use a litte more banning but they have to be fair at the same time.

Photograph courtesy of the Calgary Police Service