Quantcast
Compustar VS other systems (splited) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compustar VS other systems (splited)

Funny A&b sound carries Compustar, they also Carry Auto Start, Visions, carries The RT branded compustar, the Artic Start, and Even Futureshop carries a rebrand Compustar called the Nu-start.

Compustar is a pretty big player.. might want to get your Info correct.. before knocking on them.

Default Re: 2-Way FM Alarm/Starter 399installed!!! lcd remote

Originally posted by Paul@CustomAuto
    We sell the compustar as well but when you are shopping around ask yourself this... Why do no big players besides A&B carry compustar anymore.

What a load of verbal diarrhea! Ok answer me this, what big box mover besides A&B carried it before? Obvious flaw in your theory hey?

Aside from the obvious, another reason Visions and F/S are carrying Artic Start and NuStart is Compustar wont sell to them!! If they did chances are it would get beat up in every sale and loose its profitability and image, then no stores big or small would support it much. Truth in the matter is you traditionally need/want 1 big box mover to promote and advertise the line with their massive advertising budgets to get the name out there, small independents just aren’t capable of that on the same scale.

What’s that saying........."Do things so well that your competition talks bad about you?" Sales and Marketing 101.....Maybe you should sell why your brand and service is better, not try to down talk the competition and make yourself look silly by making up stuff as you go. I think people may respond better don’t you?

T2

My Ride
    CH9

I can assure you Paul is not making it up as he goes along. Compustar has a really good plan of making people think they are getting a "new" unit when all it is, is a new remote there brains and software, hardware have not changed in close to 4 years that is a damn long time in the car starter industry, everyone assumes the are the best because they were the first to mass produce the 2way units, They are not!
    Lots of bugs and glitches stupid problems and CRAPPY remotes!
    The Autostart unit is a much more solid unit as is anything by DEI Viper, Clifford ect.

Trust me and stay away from the Comustars there are better units out there.

Originally posted by 95acc
    I can assure you Paul is not making it up as he goes along.
    So your agreeing what he said is true? Compustar used to be in all the big box movers? And now they aren’t because the line is no good and is loosing dealers and market share? Or is this in fact where the “Stories” started and best left alone?

Compustar has a really good plan of making people think they are getting a "new" unit when all it is, is a new remote there brains and software, hardware have not changed in close to 4 years that is a damn long time in the car starter industry, everyone assumes the are the best because they were the first to mass produce the 2way units, They are not!
    That’s funny not but a few months ago the brains were upgraded (i.e. 3200 became 4200), The 1-way remotes received software and hardware upgrades in the fall, and so on. So how could that possibly be 4 years? Maybe you guys were getting old product in your Artic Start line however that’s an issue with your supplier NOT Compustar.

Lots of bugs and glitches stupid problems and CRAPPY remotes!
    The Autostart unit is a much more solid unit as is anything by DEI Viper, Clifford ect.
    AS far as the remotes go, see above. I don’t think anyone is denying that there are a lot of good products on the market, however I know when I am looking at making a purchase and a salesperson is telling me ohhh this brand sucks because blah blah blah I simply will leave! I want to know why their brand and service suits MY NEEDS THE BEST and then I will justify to myself if that’s the case and if the price their asking is fair, not why they think the other brands suck, that doesn’t tell me anything about their products or service! Maybe salespeople do this because they make more money on their brand? Maybe it’s because they can't compete with the competition on price and service? Maybe they can't get the line their bad talking? Lots of things I wonder when these types of sales tactics arise none of which are positive.

Trust me and stay away from the Comustars there are better units out there.
    Personal opinion here, as said before lots of good brands on the market……However I think Compustar’s reputation speaks for itself. Although we all have our preference and if we all liked the same things life would be pretty boring.

T2

My Ride
    82 Delorean, 93 BMW 325is, 97 F-150

well after working at visions for 5 years and 2 at future shop installing and managing the install bays I don't do compustar becaue they have too many issues. go ask any installer in the bays what product they prefer doing and you will hear DEI and Auto mobiliti piece. they own the market share in canada for a reason. yes visions carries a re boxed version but they don't move nearly the same amount as the others. it boils down to the installers opinion he is the one that works on them day to day an sees the problems. trust the brand that the big box movers do they hire people who know what works. my point is more installers trust in product.

well after working at visions for 5 years and 2 at future shop installing and managing the install bays I don't do compustar becaue they have too many issues. go ask any installer in the bays what product they prefer doing and you will hear DEI and Auto mobiliti piece. they own the market share in canada for a reason. yes visions carries a re boxed version but they don't move nearly the same amount as the others. it boils down to the installers opinion he is the one that works on them day to day an sees the problems. trust the brand that the big box movers do they hire people who know what works. my point is more installers trust in product.

Well I think I am going to have to stand by my first instinct that you must be making stuff up as you go, you are contradicting yourself left, right, and center……

First you said that all the box movers once upon a time carried Compustar now they don’t……….which we know is untrue!

Now your saying that you need to trust the Big Box Mover installers as to what they prefer, as the big box movers hire quality installers in the know, right?………..So if that’s the case and they (Visions & Future Shop which both you admittedly worked at) are so desperate to get Compustar and can’t that they are willing to settle with Firstech’s secondary lines such as Artic Start and NuStart, your essentially admitting that it is the line to have no?

Another thing to ponder is if 12V works for Autotemp he is getting his Compustar from ACS which distributes Viper (DEI) and Compustar………….why is he always pushing Compustar not Viper, yet another installers opinion hey?

T2

My Ride
    2000 323i

I wanted to get a DEI until some guy at autotemp told me that compustar was better....and after extensive reading into it, I agree.
    Mike

My Ride

wow maybe my 10 years in the business installing and 8 of it managing I must not know anything! as for the DEI point why did they just get the contract with GM for all the security systems and GM dropping code alarm. as for the big box movers I thing the 90 store chain of future shop in canada would have an easier time getting a brand over the largest 30 store mover that they supply. everybody has an opinion and you are free to yours. this is my opinion that I stick to and the experience that can back it.

Once again I never disputed there are other great brands out there, I am simply calling you out on your contradictions that you seem to be throwing around in an attempt to suit your needs.

You still never did substantiate (Or as you call it "back it with your experience") the following……..

Your slander in regards to why is A&B is the only box mover that carries Compustar any more? Is that because they are the only one to ever have it??

Also you suggested to ask any reputable installer, well I pointed out the obvious (Using your own words I might add) with F/S and Visions wanting Compustar and not being able to get it so settled with Artic Start and NuStart. Once again proof in the pudding………Obviously the management at the big box stores that hire installers in the know listened to their installers hey?

I even went one step further and pointed out 12V has access to Compustar and Viper from ACS and you see what he chooses to push.

As you can see I can back my statements quite easily by using a little info and common sense. All I have been suggesting the whole time is you should sell why your brand is better, not make up crap about the other brands as all you have done here is made yourself look silly.

T2
    Last edited by Tony2; 12-05-2004 at 08:09 PM.

My Ride
    350Z

the biggest thing that sells compustars over vipers is that compustars will do standards and vipers don't. ...majority of our cars are standard.

My Ride

Obviously the management at the big box stores that hire installers in the know listened to their installers hey?

if that's the case why are those models still the lowest market share in canada.

when I wrote my original quote:
    We sell the compustar as well but when you are shopping around ask yourself this... Why do no big players besides A&B carry compustar anymore.

I wanted to get the point accross that compustar is not the biggest brand out there like people on here like to think it is and that there are more options out there. maybe I did write it down in a way that I intended. I still personally don't like installing them. I like companies who you call for technical support and the guy on the other end knows what he's talking about to help you. Companies like viper host training all over canada and lead the industry training for installers. I did not want to "call out" the whole A&B thing nor slander I simply wanted to state a market share point in the starter world and where a company like compustar places.

when it was wrote:
    I even went one step further and pointed out 12V has access to Compustar and Viper from ACS and you see what he chooses to push.

I agree with 12v:

the biggest thing that sells compustars over vipers is that compustars will do standards and vipers don't. ...majority of our cars are standard.
    Last edited by Paul@CustomAuto; 12-05-2004 at 10:37 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    97 Tiburon

Ya F/S doesnt do standard remote starters anymore
    Isn't that why they carry Viper over Compustar
    -Nate

Viper (DEI) now has a module available as an add-on to convert ANY remote start to do standard transmission.

My Ride
    93 Honda Civic

I am pretty happy with my Compustar. I just got the new one. Don't get me wrong also big fan of DEI and if I had a automatic I probably would of got a DEI. But I have a standard. Compustar was the only one in my books when it comes to standards. I just think the ease of use of it sells it to me. I am happy with my Compustar.

My Ride
    CH9

Another thing to ponder is if 12V works for Autotemp he is getting his Compustar from ACS which distributes Viper (DEI) and Compustar………….why is he always pushing Compustar not Viper, yet another installers opinion hey?
    He pushes it because it is cheap and it is what people are brainwashed to want.
    DEI has released a module that will interface there starters into manual transmission vehicles, which funny enough is made by Fortin Radio in Montrea, the same people that make all the bypass kits for Autostart.

That’s funny not but a few months ago the brains were upgraded (i.e. 3200 became 4200), The 1-way remotes received software and hardware upgrades in the fall, and so on. So how could that possibly be 4 years? Maybe you guys were getting old product in your Artic Start line however that’s an issue with your supplier NOT Compustar.
    thats funnt they changed the damn sticker on the brain, but nothing else was updated, i have installed both units the "3200" and the "4200" they are the same thing.
    [quote]

AS far as the remotes go, see above. I don’t think anyone is denying that there are a lot of good products on the market, however I know when I am looking at making a purchase and a salesperson is telling me ohhh this brand sucks because blah blah blah I simply will leave! I want to know why their brand and service suits MY NEEDS THE BEST and then I will justify to myself if that’s the case and if the price their asking is fair, not why they think the other brands suck, that doesn’t tell me anything about their products or service! Maybe salespeople do this because they make more money on their brand? Maybe it’s because they can't compete with the competition on price and service? Maybe they can't get the line their bad talking? Lots of things I wonder when these types of sales tactics arise none of which are positive.
    [quote] sales people in big box stores are paid to sell period!
    Small places like mine or Pauls are different we have to not only sell the people the product but then take there keys and go to the back and install it.
    We sell what works and what we know will not come back.
    Compustar is not that product.

Personal opinion here, as said before lots of good brands on the market……However I think Compustar’s reputation speaks for itself. Although we all have our preference and if we all liked the same things life would be pretty boring.

T2
    As for there reputation i have had EVERY generation of compustar in one or more of my cars, the ONLY reasons for that were 1.i worked for Compustar dealers and got a good deal 2. they were the only one doing 2way manual transmission untill now.

My Ride
    CH9

He pushes it because it is cheap and it is what people are brainwashed to want.

DEI has released a module that will interface there starters into manual transmission vehicles, which funny enough is made by Fortin Radio in Montrea, the same people that make all the bypass kits for Autostart.

thats funnt they changed the damn sticker on the brain, but nothing else was updated, i have installed both units the "3200" and the "4200" they are the same thing.

As for there reputation i have had EVERY generation of compustar in one or more of my cars, the ONLY reasons for that were 1.i worked for Compustar dealers and got a good deal 2. they were the only one doing 2way manual transmission untill now.
    and they all had big problem and i always said i would never do another one but it was my only choice they used to have the market wrapped up, but now that the big guys are in the 2-way game they are struugling to keep up

My Ride
    CH9

uhhh not sure what happened there just tried to edit but you all get the point.

Obviously the management at the big box stores that hire installers in the know listened to their installers hey?

if that's the case why are those models still the lowest market share in canada.
    You don’t seem to get it………Here I was just following your own words and advice, you said that installers at big box mover stores know good stuff and to ask them, well then going on your words and the fact both Visions and F/S just recently scrambled to get the Firstech lines says a lot using your own suggestion would you not agree?

If you think Compustar does not have good market share and support in Canada, how do you explain this board has such a good following? You figure that’s just an anomaly in the universe? I think not!! Furthermore I doubt you have access to “Market Share” In Canada, if you did I think you may be surprised!! Shall we look around and see how many AutoStart dealers are around? Why could that be?

when I wrote my original quote:

I wanted to get the point accross that compustar is not the biggest brand out there like people on here like to think it is and that there are more options out there. maybe I did write it down in a way that I intended. I still personally don't like installing them. I like companies who you call for technical support and the guy on the other end knows what he's talking about to help you. Companies like viper host training all over canada and lead the industry training for installers. I did not want to "call out" the whole A&B thing nor slander I simply wanted to state a market share point in the starter world and where a company like compustar places.
    Really, that quote looks like exactly what is asks to me, “Why do no big players besides A&B carry Compustar anymore”? You’re being conniving and underhanded here, and you knew exactly what you were trying to imply, there simply was NO truth to that insinuation plain and simple…….NO other big box movers have ever carried Compustar, and that is because they had not been able to get it, not because they had it and dropped it.

Why do you take it personally that people around here like their Compustar? Why not say “yes it’s a good brand and I can supply you if you wish, however my XYZ brand has this that and the other which better suits your needs and may be a better unit for you”?

Also let’s keep in mind here your pushing AutoStart NOT Viper!!! That being said as far as the tech support goes, yes I would agree that DEI has great support and regional training. I do not have firsthand knowledge on this point, but when was the last time AutoStart did regional training? When you need your AutoStart support do you get it directly from Automobility, or the Manufacturer? Now when you needed Compustar support did you call them direct, or did you call the Distributor? Did you need product support or vehicle support? As you can see a lot of variables here!

when it was wrote:

I agree with 12v:
    I also agree here as well, 12V is selling a line that suits the needs of some, he listed a feature a consumer would be interested in, also note he said the “biggest thing” to me that implies he has additional options that better suit some consumers if need be after evaluating their needs………range maybe? However you DID NOT take the high road and sell by offering the consumer a unit with the features they needed, rather you tried to bash another brand in an attempt to sell yours.

FYI I brought up what 12V pushes because I know he has access to both Viper and Compustar. DEI is the Top dog in regards to Market share, training, etc. So in my mind this validates that Compustar is a legitimate competitor for DEI by viewing 12V choices. Now since you don’t do Viper, why did you keep bringing them up?

So all in all I would say with was a mediocre attempt to try and save face and substantiate your words.

T2

My Ride

Shall we look around and see how many AutoStart dealers are around? Why could that be?

thats funny I can list more companies that carry a re branded autostart than other brand out there. canadian tire, visions, future shop, best buy to name a few.

Furthermore I doubt you have access to “Market Share” In Canada

just look around and see what companies out there carry and you will see what brands are out numbered.

Why do you take it personally that people around here like their Compustar? Why not say “yes it’s a good brand and I can supply you if you wish, however my XYZ brand has this that and the other which better suits your needs and may be a better unit for you”?

if people like them thats fine. I don't like them and thats fine as well. if I would have known my post was going to get jumped all over like that I would have taken that approach I was trying to make a point that open your eyes and you will see that its not all about compustar. yes I take it personal and no compustar does not hold a big market and you can see that in any store you go to.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I am afraid to tell you there are multiple differences between the 3200 and 4200!! I would be more than happy to open 1 of each up to go over the differences, however here are some of them to enlighten you………….

Obvious fact is……….4200 is physically smaller in size than the 3200

Then…..

Molex #2
    On 4200 Pin #5 (Orange) is now a rearm wire. It provides you with a (-) pulse when armed after a remote start and once again after the remote start shuts down. On 3200 (Black / Red) was a constant (-) 200 mA output.

On 4200 Pin #6 (Orange/white) provides you with a (-) pulse when disarmed and before a remote start. Did not exist on the 3200.

On 4200 Pin #7 (White) Has a horn honk output. On 3200 it did not exist.

Molex #5
    On 4200 is now the temp sensor input. 3200 it used to be the location for (-) pulse for arm and disarm outputs

Molex #6
    On 4200 in now the input for the antenna cable. On 3200 it used to be input for temp sensor.

Molex #7
    On 4200 is the input for data line to interface Telematic Devices or Interfaces i.e. Bypass modules (By the way Firstech in the in the midst of a co designed interface with Fortin as well!!). On 3200 used to be the input for the antenna cable.

Not to mention the numerous software upgrades that continually go on.

So needless to say your info seems to be outdated. Maybe you should try some of the new modules you may be pleasantly surprised!!

T2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast