Quantcast
Talon Tsi's? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Talon Tsi's?

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Default Talon Tsi's?

My dads buddie has a 91 Talon TSi he's going to give me for a cheap price if I want it. It's 5 speed, and has 184*** km on it. The drivers leather seat is torn and it could use a front bumper. Is it hard to find parts for these cars? Should I buy it? Any common problems?What should I look for?

My Ride
    Horse

I've heard A LOT of people complain about their Talon's being in the shop very often. Most of their tranny's have to be replaced at some point their life span, (prolly around the 130k mark). I've never had one so I don't know how solid my input is. This is just what I've heard. They're not as reliable as most other cars. As far as parts go, there are a lot more talons at pic your parts now.

I guess depends on what price you are getting it at.
    good luck either way bro.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by Vanish3d
    I've heard A LOT of people complain about their Talon's being in the shop very often. Most of their tranny's have to be replaced at some point their life span, (prolly around the 130k mark). I've never had one so I don't know how solid my input is. This is just what I've heard. They're not as reliable as most other cars. As far as parts go, there are a lot more talons at pic your parts now.

I guess depends on what price you are getting it at.
    good luck either way bro.
    just under $2000. but i dont have alot of money to put into a car right now, going back to school in January. should I just keep my accord?

Keep the accord.

My Ride
    1ST GEN

I'll buy it! Pm me. Better yet, I'll PM you.

My Ride
    87 iroc-z, 98 camaro ss, 04 civic lx, 96 esi

Get it, the engine swaps aren't that expensive either. As long as you take good care of it, should be alright.

My Ride
    1999 nike

if reliability is key then keep the accord.

talons fit the catagory of "the kind of car that ur friend should own"

mike
    I don't own a car i just rent one on my days off and send the bill to my boss. hahaha

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ole dsm
    if reliability is key then keep the accord.

talons fit the catagory of "the kind of car that ur friend should own"

mike
    I'm not your friend and I own two DSM's.

My Ride
    Explorer XLT

the statement about the transmition is false, aslong as it wasnt bagged through most of its life it will be fine. just read up on dsms so you know what your upagainst. Its not that their unreliable but more that fact that there acar that actually gets driven, not just sits there and looks pretty.

it will need a t-belt change in the near future so be ready to shell out some $

My Ride
    350Z

I'll buy it right away if it's ok condition.

people who say talons are unreliable dont know anything about cars or dont treat them right. Maintenance is reliability and respect for the car if you race any car with as much power as a modified talon (300-500) then what stock tranny wouldnt break and using the right tranny fluid and changing it on time will keep these trannys in awesome shape till 250 - 300 000kms with the stock amount of power. parts arent hard to find nor expensive theres no reason no to own a talon if you can do the work yourself or know enough to know your not getting ripped off.

Why does it seem that there is at least one person who asks about DSMs every week? This topic has been beaten worse then Tina Turner. Do a search!
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I have nothing against DSM's. I think they are awsome cars. If I had the chance to get a turbo DSM for under 2 grand of course I would get it. However I have a friend who goes through trannys on his non-turbo faster than oil changes. I'm not saying that all DSMs have tranny problems, but why does it seem that a DSM tranny cannot handle the same beating that, say a Honda or Toyota tranny can? Now before the flame war begins, I must reitterate that I am not attacking DSMs or their owners!

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    Why does it seem that there is at least one person who asks about DSMs every week? This topic has been beaten worse then Tina Turner. Do a search!

...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    2002 Lexus GS430

well as for parts... i have a full 1g talon sitting outside...only thing missing is gauge cluster, egr valve, rite head light, and door handle...

as for the tranny situation, its probably the transfer case recall...which could be dont at chrysler for free...its caused by a leaking gasket...if its AWD..
    talons r good cars...juss gotta take care of the car....if u sense sumthigns not rite in the car, get it checked out, dont let it get worse...juss get all the recalls done, their free

whut other car can u get 200+hp and 199tq for $2000
    Oliver

non turbos shouldnt go through trannys tell yoru friend to put tranny fluid in his tranny or get a good tranny because you can run 400 + hp out of the stock tsi trannys but you have to be a good driver and change fluids on time

My Ride
    350Z

I've gone through 2 engines in the last 7 months on my talon,
    those things self destruct when the belt goes. You should make sure to change you timing belt every monday, wednesday and friday and probably sunday too.

My Ride
    FAT tires

Originally posted by 12V
    I've gone through 2 engines in the last 7 months on my talon,
    those things self destruct when the belt goes. You should make sure to change you timing belt every monday, wednesday and friday and probably sunday too.
    Hmm, there isnt a DSM owner out there that wont agree that the 4g63 is a higher maintence engine. but if you went through 2 in 7 months youre doing something very wrong