Quantcast
Got a question about post-secondary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got a question about post-secondary

My Ride
    FA20

Default Got a question about post-secondary

So im in grade 12 and i still have no idea what im gonna do next year...

I was thinking about going into engineering at the UofC but the workload i hear is just crazy. I also hear about this program called International business and Supply chain management at MRC thats suppose to be really good since alot of companies will be in high demand of ppl with this program. But does any one have some good insight on this program? thanks

My Ride
    Kompressor

Pretty much any faculty you go into will have a crazy workload. So...

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

not going into a faculty because of the perceived crazy workload is such a bs excuse..if you're looking for an easy way out of uni, don't bother going. Every faculty will have a "crazy" workload, it'll just be in different types of things.
    In the end, I think engg is worth it.

If you seriously do not have an interest in engineering or do not want to commit to the workload then engineering will be a waste of your time.

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

The engineering and business programs are both rough...they are a lot of work and I wouldn't recommend going into either of them unless you're sure that's what you want to do.

Good luck...if you have the grades to get into business and engineering then you've done pretty good so far.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by SteveMo600

Good luck...if you have the grades to get into business and engineering then you've done pretty good so far.
    Any dumbass can get into university; engineering and business included.

Staying in university is not necessarily as easy.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Well everyone in first year engineering for F04/W05 had a highschool average greater than 83% which is pretty damn high. I didn't find first semester that bad looking at it now. Just be ready to spend a hell of a lot more time at school (For example imagine 9-2 of straight lectures and then a 3 hr lab followed by another hour or two working on a programing lab). If engineering intrests you and you have the marks to get in, you should not let the workload intimidate you. You will find a way to adapt and you will probally end up enjoying it.

Originally posted by H4LFY2nR
    Well everyone in first year engineering for F04/W05 had a highschool average greater than 83% which is pretty damn high. I didn't find first semester that bad looking at it now. Just be ready to spend a hell of a lot more time at school (For example imagine 9-2 of straight lectures and then a 3 hr lab followed by another hour or two working on a programing lab). If engineering intrests you and you have the marks to get in, you should not let the workload intimidate you. You will find a way to adapt and you will probally end up enjoying it.
    The U of C website says the competitive average was 77.5%

Originally posted by Weapon_R

definately.

you think your a smartass for getting into university but find out your a dumbass in university at least thats my case

My Ride
    94' Terd

The thing about engineering and business is that the first 2 years are used to screen all of the people that shouldn't be in the program.

My suggestion to you is (since you have no idea what you want to do), enroll in a general or arts program at MRC. Take a couple business class, couple english, philosophy etc. Decide what you enjoy the most and what you could see yourself enjoying for the rest of your life.

Who cares what you do for a living as long as you love what you do, I'd rather be broke as fuck my entire life than try to get rich doing something I hate.

...and graduating is not necessarily as easy.

My Ride
    E30325is

BTW
    does anyone know the university, that would be the easiest to get into is?

Originally posted by NiteRider
    BTW
    does anyone know the university, that would be the easiest to get into is?
    usually a post 2ndary that is called a 'college' instead of a university.

athabasca doesnt seem to hard to get in but i dont know for sure.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

if you are planning to get into business do it right away out of highschool if your grades are good, trust me it is much easier to get in from the begining then to try to compete with EVERYONE (even those outside of univeristy) for that one spot out of 160 that they allow each year for transfers. I got 3.6/4 and i got into haskayne business, but i tell you...3.6 in university is nowhere close to a 3.6 at highschool if they were on the same scale

but seriously, business or engg should be something to think about..engg is WAY harder it seems then business..but business is not easy either..but u learn way more things that you can apply in daily life rather then things u learn in engg

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

I know a lot of people that could not get into the program they wanted cause they fucked up in high school by not taking the right courses or not getting good enough grades.

All I'm saying is that the first step is to do good in high school so that you can do what you want in university...it's not a really hard step when compared to staying in university but it's still important.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by SteveMo600

I know a lot of people that could not get into the program they wanted cause they fucked up in high school by not taking the right courses or not getting good enough grades.

All I'm saying is that the first step is to do good in high school so that you can do what you want in university...it's not a really hard step when compared to staying in university but it's still important.
    Sorry to sound harsh, but if you can't get into university, you will unlikely stay in University.

Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by elmo909

The U of C website says the competitive average was 77.5%

The Dean of Engineering said 83% in a speech so yeah it was unofficial but whatever.

Sorry to sound harsh, but if you can't get into university, you will unlikely stay in University.
    Not true. From my high school grad class, most of the top students went to university, and quite a few of them failed. I couldn't get into university with my low high school grades, so I went to sait, and transferred. I was getting marks higher than students who were honor kids in high school.

The only thing high school marks are good for is getting you accepted into post-secondary, otherwise they mean shit.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Not true. From my high school grad class, most of the top students went to university, and quite a few of them failed. I couldn't get into university with my low high school grades, so I went to sait, and transferred. I was getting marks higher than students who did were honor kids in high school.
    So what? You were the exception. Happens all of the time. And you went through the back door to get into the University

Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

The Dean of Engineering said 83% in a speech so yeah it was unofficial but whatever.
    for 05-06 my letter says I need 80%, I think the 83% might be the average mark for the entering class

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast