Quantcast
U of C Prof Recommendation Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U of C Prof Recommendation Thread

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Default U of C Prof Recommendation Thread

Making winter schedule, just wondering about some profs. Post what classes you're taking and maybe options for teachers to pick from, and hopefully poepl can respond with their experiences. I know there's student rankings, but they seem kind of misleading...Stallard (STAT) got pretty good even though I heard he's a psycotic nazi

Econ 203 - Tracy
    Math 251 - E KUDRYAVTSEVA (Doesn't sound to english ) Other 2 options are blank right now
    CPSC203 - Deur / blank
    Stat 217 - Stellmach (I'm in now) / Chibry / Stallard

And I have 1 other option I haven't decided yet, thinking maybe GRST 205...any good?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Deur was horrible for 231... that's all i gotto say, but 203 is easy. so might not matter

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Default Re: U of C Prof Recommendation Thread

Originally posted by Singel
    Making winter schedule, just wondering about some profs. Post what classes you're taking and maybe options for teachers to pick from, and hopefully poepl can respond with their experiences. I know there's student rankings, but they seem kind of misleading...Stallard (STAT) got pretty good even though I heard he's a psycotic nazi

Econ 203 - Tracy
    Math 251 - E KUDRYAVTSEVA (Doesn't sound to english ) Other 2 options are blank right now
    CPSC203 - Deur / blank

And I have 1 other option I haven't decided yet, thinking maybe GRST 205...any good?
    Stellmach is the devil!!!! wait till you take the final you'll want to take that comment back!

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I had Labute and Chibry for stats.

Labute's kinda alright. You could tell stats is his life because he makes some of the stupidest jokes around. But if you need help, he's cool about it. His exams are often a little harder than most people would expect.

Chibry has a slight tendency to be a bitch sometimes, but for the most part she's cool. She's not much older than the student population so she seems to relate to most students, and makes relative funny jokes when she manages to.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Geog 203 - Slezak (took a class with him before..seemed pretty cool)

Poli310 - dube (full year bah)

GRST 321 - HUMPHREY (duno who this is, but i'm only in that class until i find better things)

Poli 451 -perl (his ratings look like shit i think so I dunno)

trying to get into LTSO 309 and POLI 283 (i need slack non social science classes I think)

originally had 2 400 level poli classes but decided to be lazy and not bother since all the classes this year are ass

My Ride
    '05 Mazda3

Check out http://www.ratemyprofessors.com
    It's pretty accurate I must say. You can also write your own prof reviews.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Stallard is the fucking stat nazi. He makes shit so much harder than all the other profs teach teh same course do it's nuts. He's the reason I don't care about GPA....you'd think the same course would be the same difficulty across the board but I got a shitty mark while tutoring people who got B's in other classes!

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    I had Labute and Chibry for stats.

Labute's kinda alright. You could tell stats is his life because he makes some of the stupidest jokes around. But if you need help, he's cool about it. His exams are often a little harder than most people would expect.

Chibry has a slight tendency to be a bitch sometimes, but for the most part she's cool. She's not much older than the student population so she seems to relate to most students, and makes relative funny jokes when she manages to.
    Gerry Labute...yeah, he would keep talking about the Three Stooges and joke about how out of touch he is with our generation. The vast majority of us were in our 20's, so 90% of the time we essentially had NO idea what he was joking about. I think I took more notes for his STAT 217 class that I ever have for any other class...just over 200 pages of useless material. He's a good guy though, but yeah, his tests are brutal. And unlike most profs, he'll curve the grades so that the class average is a C, not a B.

Nancy Chibry / Morrison? Ha! She is one! I couldn't stand her lectures or her infantile jokes. All of her examples were childish, except for the one that involved cherry flavoured condoms and their propensity to break. That held my interest for maybe a few minutes, but the rest of her lectures were crap. In addition, she miscalculated my grade at the end of the term and gave me an F. Good think I didn't eat breakfast the morning that I read my (erroneous) grade off of her office door or else I probably would have thrown up all over the place. Eventually I did get everything sorted out, but to make a long story short, I don't like her nor think she's any good.

Zuzana Janko (in the department of economics) is my favourite prof out of all the ones I've had at the U of C. She's teaching ECON 423 next semester. Rob Oxoby and Ken McKenzie are two other great profs in the same department.

Has anybody taken BIOL 307 (ecology for non majors) with Reid and Linton? I'm just looking for a senior option here.

Finally, yes, http://www.ratemyprofessors.com is a great website. Some clown has posted some fake profs there (e.g. Thierry Henry, Linda Lovelace, Paul Martin, Gabrielle Roy...) but for the most part, the ratings posted there are fairly accurate.

My Ride
    335i

I have:

Froese - full year course, she's a great professor.

Don Barry - very, very passionate professor and extremely fun to go to class.

Doreen Barrie - left wing nutcase, hates anyone except for left wing ppl, i'm not really impressed and scared to contribute because i'm quite the opposite and don't want it to hurt my grades.

Keeley - arrogant asshole IMO. Has no passion for teaching, and his class (poli 383) isn't particularly easy.

Next Semester I have:

Froese of course

Sayers - Any comments?

Keith - again, any comments (Poli 385)

Huebert -

Perl -

Both Huebert and Perl did exceptionally well in the ratemyprofessor.com site. Any help would be appreciated!
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Next Semester I have:

Sayers - Any comments?

Perl -

Both Huebert and Perl did exceptionally well in the ratemyprofessor.com site. Any help would be appreciated!
    i originally had 2 classes next sem. with sayers but I dropped them when i looked at his ratings....complete crap.

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Default Re: Re: U of C Prof Recommendation Thread

Originally posted by 7thgenvic

Stellmach is the devil!!!! wait till you take the final you'll want to take that comment back!
    What comment? I said he was a crazy nazi, but his U of C ratings aren't that bad...So I guess of the I'll try to go with Chibry of the 3...or maybe leave it till next year and just pray that Chen teaches it by some fluke

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

no idea who any of the profs are except tracy.
    anyways, most CPSC203 courses should be the same in how they're taught - dry, boring and irritating. come'on guys, it's INTRO to computers. if you can log on to beyond, you've already completed half the course!
    but good choice on Tracy. his agenda and course schedule is really simple. find out how it works and you're set, he will not deviate from it one bit. and get all his past exams, he loves reusing his old questions. one of the easiest profs to have for sure.

In fall I had:

Amat 217 - Dr. Ernest Enns (Hilarious guy, and so cool, starts every lecture off with a 10 min story about his adventures across the world, subsequently not such a great teacher...but it's Math 31 you should know this shit anyways! Easy quizzes too, too bad the midterm was slaughter)

Math 221 - Thi Ngoc Dinh (Not a bad prof, just has a really short patience span and rushes a lot of lectures, he crammed a lot of shit into 1 class, Quizzes/Midterm were pretty challenging, but fair)

Chem 201 - Dr. Yakup Mehmet (Such a sweet prof, WICKED ass notes and always such a helpful guy, I'd highly suggest getting him)

Psyc 205 - Dr. Mike Boyes (Great prof, and the 2/3 midterm deal was pretty sweet too, his online notes make it a breeze as well!)

I'll post the rest up later..just too lazy right now :P

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

i thought the most passionate (while staying relevant to the course) prof I've had so far is Norm Gall for philosophy. totally a weird guy that loves what he does, but that's a good thing! be prepared to go to a couple lectures to which he won't show up (without any notice either).
    the class isn't easy (not a 4.0, unless u are as passionate about the course as he is..but I think he teaches well and prepares you well for the tests and exams). there are no tricks in that class, know your stuff (alot, but not too hard) and you'll do great.

My Ride
    Kompressor

Default Re: U of C Prof Recommendation Thread

Econ 203 - Tracy
    CPSC203 - Deur / blank

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    Deur was horrible for 231... that's all i gotto say, but 203 is easy. so might not matter
    I HATE Deur! Such a bastard!

Anyways, my winter schedule:

Chem 533 - Chivers
    Chem 571 - Birss & Cramb

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Anyone know anyhting about E KUDRYAVTSEVA? For Math 251?

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY

Psyc 205 - Dr. Mike Boyes (Great prof, and the 2/3 midterm deal was pretty sweet too, his online notes make it a breeze as well!)

Only class in my whole university career who got a standing ovation at the end of semester.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    Kompressor

Anyone know anyhting about E KUDRYAVTSEVA? For Math 251?
    Wow, that's a hard to pronounce last name... I have a feeling he/she might have a heavy accent...

When it comes to math, I always try to register in Holland's classes if he's teaching the course... best math prof in the whole department IMO!

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by B17a

Only class in my whole university career who got a standing ovation at the end of semester.
    yeah, i've heard alot of great things about him. i'll definetely take that as an option next year.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

my fav prof at the U of C was Ray Joyce, Management of International trade, MGST 571 or something like that

take his class it has so many benefits, I learned so much with the lowest workload ever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast