Quantcast
Street legal modifications. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Street legal modifications.

Default Street legal modifications.

Where can I find out what kind of car modifications are street legal, either in general or in a specific area.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Alberta is fairly relaxed in terms of legal modifications. Just some weird quirks, such as no big exhaust tips (the entire exhaust can be upgraded except the tip), tinted windows, etc.

It's insurance that you have to worry about. They have a right to cancel your policy even if you just lower your car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Im not in alberta, Im in NJ, but thats besides the point. Everywhere there will be some regulations on what you can do to you car and my question is where can I find out what those are?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Call SEMA and ask them.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Impreza RS

Originally posted by rage2
    Alberta is fairly relaxed in terms of legal modifications. Just some weird quirks, such as no big exhaust tips (the entire exhaust can be upgraded except the tip), tinted windows, etc.

It's insurance that you have to worry about. They have a right to cancel your policy even if you just lower your car.
    So if you get into an accident, will they bail out on you if they realize its lowered?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Chim

So if you get into an accident, will they bail out on you if they realize its lowered?
    That's the extreme case! My RSX was lowered and it got into a wreck and everything is fine. My agent did tell me, had my car been supercharged, then it be a whole different story. Which really, that's what deterred me from S/C my car. I know this goes for a few companies out there and most people just don't tell insurance about their mods.

In summary, aesthetic stuff is fine, it's the hardcore performance stuff they don't want.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Originally posted by max_boost
    That's the extreme case! My RSX was lowered and it got into a wreck and everything is fine. My agent did tell me, had my car been supercharged, then it be a whole different story. Which really, that's what deterred me from S/C my car. I know this goes for a few companies out there and most people just don't tell insurance about their mods.

In summary, aesthetic stuff is fine, it's the hardcore performance stuff they don't want.
    wtf? S/C violates their trust that you're gonna drive safely?? Did they mention turbo

My Ride
    '99.5 2.0L Jetta What I ride: '05 Kona Stuff

Originally posted by Carfanman
    Im not in alberta, Im in NJ, but thats besides the point. Everywhere there will be some regulations on what you can do to you car and my question is where can I find out what those are?
    When I was in New Jersey (Springfield area) I saw some crazy modded cars, done up to the whole works. The only problem was that there were a lot of Cavaliers and Neons.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Ive heard that as long as you disclose all mods youre be ok. I believe rage did that when he insured his 951, im sure the price difference in insurance wouldnt be took bad.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

For coverage, do you mean, covering your car, or covering say if you get in an at fault accident, they wont cover you?

ie: you rear end someone, and they wont fix his/her car you hit?

b/c i was under the impression that they have to cover you if you have insurance for liability atleast.

i have just pl/pd, do i have to worry about not gettin my liability covered?

My Ride
    '94 1MZ-FE

Liability is covered regardless
    You can be drunk and smoke another car and your 3rd party liability will cover it.
    As to first party coverage, thats another story

Originally posted by ryder_23
    For coverage, do you mean, covering your car, or covering say if you get in an at fault accident, they wont cover you?

ie: you rear end someone, and they wont fix his/her car you hit?

b/c i was under the impression that they have to cover you if you have insurance for liability atleast.

i have just pl/pd, do i have to worry about not gettin my liability covered?

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Ive heard that as long as you disclose all mods youre be ok. I believe rage did that when he insured his 951, im sure the price difference in insurance wouldnt be took bad.
    What do you mean disclose? Like theyre all under the hood or under the car?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Disclosed means I gave my insurance company a list of modifications, along with pictures, receipts, dyno charts, everything. They know exactly what my car has, and how much power it makes.

I'm old, with a spotless driving record. No at-fault accidents, no tickets, nothing. This is probably why my insurance company was OK with it. If you're 18 and about to lose your license from getting tickets, chances are, you won't be able to get my car insured.

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

Good site skid