Quantcast
1989 nissan maxima probs and Questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 1989 nissan maxima probs and Questions

My Ride
    92 toyota supra; 89 nissan maxima

Default 1989 nissan maxima probs and Questions

Hey guys i was just wornding if anybody had that software for workin on cars u know like a parts catolog with troubleshooting info cause the manual sucks that i have with my car and the service manual sucks even worse they dont have the troubleshooting that i need. Ok theres something wrong with my car about the battery or alternator or somethin the battery keeps dying and crap and like i charge it and it starts up but it doesnt keep charge. When the problem started happening the battery light would come on when i was driving and go off when i reved it high but now the battery light doesnt even come on it just gets dimmer and dimmer lights and when i turn it off u cant start it again. HELP HELP A LITTLE HELP PLEASE. The software would help out alot thanks guys.

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

I think you could buy a new battery....

The battery in my Maxima died and had similar symptoms.... You could also run it to a local dealership and have them diagnose it
    MK7 Golf SportWagen 4Motion

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Take it into a shop and have the alternator looked at and the battery checked, most places test batterys for free, not sure about the alternator. Not sure why the alternator would go, we used to have an old maxima (90 i believe) and nuthin ever went wrong with it and it had alot of k's... 275k before we traded it in for the new one. And I used to drive the SHIT out of it, now i'm licky if I get to drive the '03 without supervision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

I would say, from the symptoms you have listed, the alternator is shot. You can get your alternator tested for free, but you gotta pull it out of the car. Most parts stores will be able to test it for ya that way. And since you've run down the battery a couple times, I'd say it's time for a new one as well.

My Ride
    90 maxima

Believe it or not, but im having the same problem with my 90 maxima, and my batery is fine i had it checked, I thought i had it fixed for a week, then the problem came back where the lights would dim out and the car wouldn't start up again after i shut it off. I am still trying to figure out the problem. The alternator is fine i believe because it wouldn't have run for that week if it was. Im looking for all the help i can get. Email [email protected]

Thanks

My Ride
    1999 Silverado

An easy way to check your altenator is to make sure your lights, radio, heater blower, anything that uses juice inside or out is off.
    Then with the vehicle running disconnect your positive terminal from your battery.
    If the vehicle dies. Your altenator is toast.
    If it keeps running your battery is toast.
    Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

My Ride
    1999 Silverado

Oh one more thing. If you do a lot of day driving and not night driving your system will hold its charge longer. So, dont be fooled by the power of the juice user.
    Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

Default Re: 1989 nissan maxima probs and Questions

Originally posted by furman
    Hey guys i was just wornding if anybody had that software for workin on cars u know like a parts catolog with troubleshooting info cause the manual sucks that i have with my car and the service manual sucks even worse they dont have the troubleshooting that i need.
    get a factory service manual if you want a book that has EVERYTHING about your car, or if you're not going to use too much at least buy a haynes manual (a few times cheaper)

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Originally posted by agnt42
    An easy way to check your altenator is to make sure your lights, radio, heater blower, anything that uses juice inside or out is off.
    Then with the vehicle running disconnect your positive terminal from your battery.
    Dude, that really is a wicked test! I've never heard of that before, but I'm gonna try it next time I run a starting problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    240sx

wow that's a really good way to fry a cars electrical systems. This is a good method for testing alternators back when cars didnt have computers.
    In theory, it works. but, when you disconnect a battery lead while the car is running, it sends an electrical surge through the entire electrical system. (because the battery is a resitor in the system as well) ECU's and that type shit found in newer cars are very sensitive. try that a few times on a car and I assure you, that car will end.
    Why dont you think techs at dealerships dont do this?

My Ride
    a wrx.

now i dont know a lot about engine electrical....but wouldnt u cut off power to the ecu and all the sensors etc?