Quantcast
RIP Dimebag Darrell - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: RIP Dimebag Darrell

My Ride
    Model S

Default RIP Dimebag Darrell

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/09/nig...ing/index.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman stormed the stage during a heavy metal concert Wednesday night, open firing on members of the band and the audience, killing four people -- including at least one band member -- and wounding at least two others before a police officer shot and killed him, according to Columbus police.

Before he was shot, police said, the gunman grabbed a hostage and fired into the crowd as he held on to the person. It was not clear what happened to the hostage.

The attack happened shortly after the band, Damageplan, began its performance at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on Columbus' north end.

The gunman was "targeting members in the band," Sgt. Brent Mull said.

One of the wounded is in critical condition, and the other is hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Two others were injured in the incident and treated at the scene, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to eyewitness accounts, the gunman initially shot the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell.

Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, formed Damageplan after Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s -- broke up last year. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting around 10:18 p.m. ET, Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was near the scene slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage and killed him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

Witnesses described the shooter as a heavyset man, wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey.

Police roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot, as 60 detectives questioned hundreds of witnesses. Police brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they waited to be questioned.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told CNN affiliate WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill said the gunman shot the guitarist at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie (Paul) fall and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

Sad stuff. Here is a quote from an eyewitness.

"I was up close to the stage on the side where Dimebag was playing," wrote one fan on the band's website. "Then I saw the guy jump out of the crowd onto the stage. He was yelling something about how 'You broke up Pantera, you ruined my life. What about Phil?' " - referring to Phil Anselmo, the Pantera singer who did not join Damageplan. " 'He needs heroin money.'
    His guitar that was stolen years ago.

http://www.deanguitars.com/dime/deanfromhell/

My Ride
    FAT tires

That is really sad. It will always shock me that there are sick fucks like that out there.

I dont know what to say except Dimebag Darrell will be miss by many.

My Ride
    2009 SWP STi

That's horrible to hear.

My buddy is going to be devistated, Dime was his idol. He has 2 of his signature series guitars, and the full Warhead amp that dime used, as well as thousands of other shit.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Holy man... insane People are F*cked in the head.. R.I.P. Dime..

Remember Everyone have a "black tooth grin" Tonight or tommorow - Its a glass full of Crown + a splash of coke for color Dimes favortie Drink.

Bright side of things? The super Metal band is forming in hell now - Dime on Guitar and Cliff Burton on Bass

Damn that sucks, another great lost before his time.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

man, that sucks
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

RIP Diamond Darrell, you'll be missed

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

they played part of an interview with him on muchmusic, and he was mentioning that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" and somewhat denouncing gun control.

kind of ironic
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    1977 CB550

FUCK.

Godammit.

Cemetary Gates is one of my favorite songs, and it just got a hell of alot eerier.

My Ride
    00 Protege

RIP DIMEBAG

My Ride
    Sentra

columbus doesnt really sound like a safe place to live in

My Ride
    I dont Drive

RIP Darrell Abbott

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

my buddy (huge dimebag fan) said that the casket not only had darrel in it but it was also lined with 6 er's and almost everybody there threw a dimebag into the casket as well... could be for real could not be, but i thought it would be interesting to add

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.