Quantcast
Who thinks our laws against crime should be revamped? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Who thinks our laws against crime should be revamped?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Question Who thinks our laws against crime should be revamped?

I just read this article http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...87375-sun.html

and it makes my blood boil. I truly believe that we should have a law in place that enforces zero tolerance against gangs, violence and crimes involving harm to others. I think our laws should be way more strict then they are. If you are a teen or a young adult or anyone for that matter and you commit a crime involving violence or harm to another person you should be punished severely. I think if you take a life then you should lose your own. If you severely hurt someone than you should be thrown in a maximum security prison for ten years minimum with no chance of payroll, no luxury, no tv, no visitors, nothing. Conform to the law or pay the fucking price. Fuck do I hate criminals, the lowest form of scum on this planet.
    Last edited by 89coupe; 12-17-2004 at 01:42 PM.

criminals get paid to go to jail?

Things do need to be looked at for sure.. how about a public beheading of a criminal? too extreme? I feel as though criminals are getting slapped on the wrist by their mothers (authorities) in minor cases.. I don't think it's nearly as bad regarding major cases (IE. Scott P. and Bernardo).. but things do need to change.

Anyone ever see the video of a new years (or some sort of) party that was video taped in a prison down in the states? they were drinking champagne and eating like kings.. go figure.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Prisons need to be more like a boot camp in the army then a vacation behind bars like it is presently.

Our whole law system is just fucked. Zero tolerance, thats what I think. Fucking criminals, low life scum, lazy mother fuckers.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by Shaolin

Things do need to be looked at for sure.. how about a public beheading of a criminal?
    At least we'd know he wouldn't fuck up again...
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

haha yeah.. i was kind of joking about that.. but yeah, nothing like some extreme population control to handle a situation..

this country would shit a brick if something like that ever happened.. always have to find some sort of equilibrium (which I think is stupid IN SOME ISSUES) so you don't have both groups trying to give you shit.. it's like spanking your children.. my mom would probably be in jail if they found the mass arsenal of bamboo sticks with chicken feathers in the living room.

I don't know.. I don't have much thought about doing it a positive way.. i don't know how well positive reinforcement would work in this area, it's not like you can give bubba a treat if he doesn't go on a rampage for a week. Injecting fear into them might be a good idea (Hi China), but you'd probably have humane society, treehuggers and other lobby groups on your ass for being too severe on "criminals".

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Dostoesky said, "We can measure the degree of civilization in a society by entering its prisons."

Kris
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    335i

God said, “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets..."

God > Russians

Those who kill, should be killed.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I agree.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Those who kill, should be killed.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

a) I think there's a little something about turning the other cheek in that little book of yours as well, so it's a little confusing. (I'm just kidding, I don't want to start a silly argument with the thiests)

b) You're missing his point. Dostoesky wasn't making a comment on capital punishment. He wasn't really even commenting on prison systems (although it could be argued, but not by me) but on the prisoners themselves.

c) As long as we're on the topic of books, Dostoesky is a much better author. (Again, I'm kidding. Just a little good natured ribbing.)

Kris
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

So... what if someone is sentenced to death, and a few years later you find out he was innocent?

Originally posted by Majestic12
    So... what if someone is sentenced to death, and a few years later you find out he was innocent?
    this is why capital punishment was eliminated in canada, and many states in the US. there's been many people on death row that were innocent, and were executed.

so should the executioners be killed for that fuckup?

I'm pretty liberal when it comes to most stuff, but not on the justice system.

some cop kills a guy and he gets 2 years house arrest?

My Ride
    pedals

when canada got rid of capital punishment (1972), violent crimes actually decreased.

This is not to say that violent crime decreaced because capital punishment was taken off the books (cause it doenst), but what it does show is that harsh penalties like that do not effect a persons choice to commit a violent crime. There is not a causal relationship between stiff penalties and crime reduction. Studies have shown that the punishment for a crime doesnt effects the decision to commit the crime to any large degree, what does effect the decision is the percieved likelyhood of being caught.

Originally posted by Majestic12
    our justice system is not accurate enough to have a valid claim to capital punishment for just this reason.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

I wonder if we can still send them all to Australia? LOL

My Ride
    You Crazy

It's my belief that murder is a culmination of prior "acceptable" violence.

Being an ex bartender and doorman, its the beggining phases that worry me most. They are what I believe lead to escalation and a lax attitude.

As an example, I have had 5 co-workers stabbed. The charge? Assault.

WHAT THE FUCK?? Assault? give me a break. That should be AUTOMATIC attempted murder.

Then really..... Whatever IDIOT thinks violence on TV and video games is harmless should be shot. Every reputable scientific study on the planet has shown that it leads to a numbing towards violence and a lax attitude towards it.

Christ, as a kid (20+ years ago), I was scared to death over some cheesy, bad special effect fake blood horror movie. There were even some original star trek episodes that scared me . Today, the shit is so realistic, every single movie is just trying to outdo the other. I know 10 year olds that laugh at it.

It starts at the bottom. And as long as we live in a pure capitalist society, the dollar will always come before the well being of the people.

Then they will pretend to wonder why kids and teenagers are more out of control.

what about people who accidentally kill someone...with a car or whatever...and should the punishment be more severe if the person is a child? I think with DNA evidence and everything now, capital punishment is a little more feasible. If you can't prove it with DNA then life is the maximum charge IMO. Although I agree with the fact that we need to revamp our prison system too. I thought I read somewhere that some homeless people will commit a violent crime just so that they have somewhere warm to stay where they can be fed. If that's true then we're kindof asking for more crimes to be commited.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Drew Stewart, 16, was fatally stabbed Dec. 3 while trying to stop a group of teens assaulting a pregnant pal.
    Thats absolutely sick
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Fuck em. Zero Tollerance.

I get so upset sometimes about people who think their all hardcore in gangs and shiot, threatening to "chop me" and shit like that.

I hope nothing less than death to all those involved in Violent gangs.

What ever happened to "Being a man" and a good ole 1 on 1 rumble. Now it's a 1 on 1 rumble, the fucker gets owned, and half an hour later he has his posse of like 40 cousins, brothers, sisters, and friends to get him back. That or it's like 20 on 1 for no apparant reason (like that off Duty RCMP guy that got rolled by those 6 teenagers for no reason whatsoever a few months ago, putting him in the hospital for a couple weeks.)

It used to be civilized, now it's all about who has the biggest weapon arsenal and largest following.

Sometimes I hate what society has become.
    Travel