Quantcast
WTB: Guitar - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: WTB: Guitar

Default WTB: Guitar

Anyone have a good acoustic guitar (I think thats what they are called!) for a beginner? I don't know much about this, but looking for one, for a girl, if that makes any difference in the guitar??

My Ride
    10 speed Chopper

If you are a complete beginner then I don't suggest you go out and buy a guitar worth hundreds or thousands, but I guess you don't need telling. On the other hand, some cheap guitars are really awful - so here is how to try and tell the difference between a bargain and a bad banjo. haha

The price of a guitar is largely determined by the woods used in its construction - cheap guitar bodies are made from plywood or laminates. As the price increases woods such as rosewoods, cedar and spruce will be encountered. These latter woods will also age well, with the sound of the guitar improving with time, unlilke the cheaper variety which are at their best when new. As a beginner, there is little harm in buying a plywood guitar - as long as it fits some other criterion...

In general, the guitar should be solid with no loose bits inside - giving the guitar a small shake will determine this.
    The guitar's neck should be straight. This can be checked by sighting along its length. Good fret work can also be checked at this time by running your fingers along the edge of each side of the neck. Each fret position will need checking to make sure that there is no buzzing of strings on poor frets. Do this simply by playing a note at every single fret position on the board, ensuring
    you place a your finger close behind each fret when you do so. The action of a guitar (the height of the strings above the
    fret board) is down to personal choice, but it is recommended that you pick a guitar with low action (strings near the
    fingerboard) as this will make fretting easier.

Do not buy a steel string guitar and replace the strings with nylon ones. There are two main reasons for this. Classical
    guitars are less rigid than steel strung ones, allowing the strings to vibrate the wood more, producing better sound
    quality. Secondly, steel string guitars tend to have necks which vary in width. A classical guitar should be 2-1/8" across over its entire length - you'll need the width to correctly finger both the left and right hands.

Japanese makes, such as Yamaha, Takamine and Rodriguez are some what cheap and quite cheerful, usually being perfectly adequate for beginners. It is only after some months/years practice that you may want to spend the money on an instrument where the tone is something very important to you.

One overall guideline is this: take someone who is experienced in guitars with you. For example, a tutor (if
    you have one) or a friend who has been playing classical guitar for several years. Tutors may also be able to show
    you the good shops, good bargains, or offer you guitars from other students of theirs who are progressing onto
    a finer instrument.

Personally I have a Classical guitar and a steel string guitar. Made by Takamine
    The lower end of Takamine is called Jasmine.

Hope this helps.

Mean people suck,
    Nice people swallow,
    Stupid people choke,
    And weird people gargle.

So around how much am I looking for if buying a new beginners guitar? its for a friend, who says she wants one, but I have a feeling it won't be touched 6 months from now, but you never know right.

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6942

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but Bol is selling a guitar.

I'm selling my electric guitar and amp if you're interested
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

Sorry not looking for electric

My Ride
    I dont Drive

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    I'm selling my electric guitar and amp if you're interested
    what kind of guitar??

Just a squire strat, pretty good for beginners and ppl who don't play too often.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by szw
    Sorry not looking for electric
    electrics are much easier to play.. you can also lower the strings on them, and change the sound. I play the electric, so i have some experience.

My Ride
    I dont Drive

Originally posted by [GaGe]

electrics are much easier to play.. you can also lower the strings on them, and change the sound. I play the electric, so i have some experience.
    well theres lots that go with dropping the tuning. if you want it to stay in tune for longer than 2 minutes you have to adjust your bridge, and in some cases even adjust your trus rod.

none the less, electric can be VERY fun to play if your using the right effects!

My Ride
    93' prelude 67' Firebird

i herd from a friend that you would selll an amp and cord with case for $200 do you think i could look at it??
    i hate it wen ppl brag up thier cars,and tell me shit that i can plainly see that they haven't done. and expect me to believe it, hopeing that i am as ignorant and full of bs as them, well I'M NOT

My Ride
    EP3

Go to Guitarworks on 16th and look at the Art Lutherie guitars. This guitar was highly recomended to me as a beginner guitar. It's around $275 and the sound and quality is amazing for that price.

Is this girl musically inclined? If so, than you might want to look at something around the $500 range? Just talk to the guys a Guitarworks. They're really helpful and friendly.

HTH
    Last edited by Sykes; 12-14-2002 at 02:59 PM.

My Ride
    I dont Drive

i agree, but i suggest going to Guitarworks in crowfoot. talk to paul the manager, im very close friends with him and hes always willing to help people out!! just make sure you tell him i sent you!