Quantcast
Canadian Humanitarian Trust - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Canadian Humanitarian Trust

Talking Canadian Humanitarian Trust

Hello Beyond,

Has anyone ever donated to the "Canadian Humanitarian Trust" and received "tax credits" in doing so (2 tax receipts)? Is this legit???

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If the charity is legit, all your donation would be tax deductible. Nothing illegal about it.

Only 2 things you need to worry about:

A) What do these people do with the money, it is really helping people. Some so call charities have a managment fee of over 90%. Which mean its staff doesn't work for free and very little actually ends up in the hands of people in need.

B) Are you getting tax credit more than what you paid in? There are a few ways to do this but government has already caught on and put a stop to those schemes. I know 1 creative scheme that involve medical supplies that worked af few years back.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    I know 1 creative scheme that involve medical supplies that worked af few years back.
    Hey, this sounds like the same "scheme". Essentially, you purchase medical products at "whole sale" to donate. In doing so, you receive a tax credit. Then, when those medical supplies are sold at "fair market value", you receive another tax credit.

What do you think....sounds fishy? Appently, Canadians donated $100 million last year to this.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by OPGForce

Hey, this sounds like the same "scheme". Essentially, you purchase medical products at "whole sale" to donate. In doing so, you receive a tax credit. Then, when those medical supplies are sold at "fair market value", you receive another tax credit.

What do you think....sounds fishy? Appently, Canadians donated $100 million last year to this.
    Doesn't work anymore. You'll be toasted if you ever get audited.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Doesn't work anymore. You'll be toasted if you ever get audited.
    Did you get burned from this kind of deal in the past, or know of anyone that has? What are your sources for this information?

There is some information on the Canadian Humanitarian Trust at CHT Fund

It seems the trust has been tested in the courts in 2005.

Originally posted by bigfish90210
    There is some information on the Canadian Humanitarian Trust at CHT Fund

It seems the trust has been tested in the courts in 2005.
    I don't see any time the trust was tested in court. I see them giving their opinion on why they think it's legal.

The part I find strange is that they claim it's 100% legal, yet when they talk to you about investing they mention they have a huge legal fund setup.

If it's 100% legit, then why do they need a huge legal fund?

Default Re: Canadian Humanitarian Trust

Originally posted by OPGForce
    Hello Beyond,

Has anyone ever donated to the "Canadian Humanitarian Trust" and received "tax credits" in doing so (2 tax receipts)? Is this legit???

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    I know of several people who invested during the 2005 tax year and received a return because of it.

Does it make it legal according to the CCRA? Of course not. If they are audited, according to the CCRA's own definiton, they will be reassessed.

Here is the CCRA's Nov. 2004 warning about these:
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/newsroom/fa...1125tax-e.html

If you don't believe me, do a search for previous scams such as these. The one below is the art-flipping one, which has been popular in the past:
    http://www.investmentexecutive.com/c...ageMem=&nbNews

So are you saying that because CRA does an audit that the individual has broken the law?

Isn't an audit to confirm or ask for more information? I think you need to think that one through a bit. Why would they bother doing an audit? Why not just fine the person or drag them throught the courts?

There is information regarding the CHT at Canadian Humanitarian Trust Canadian Humanitarian Trust

But calling it a scam while they are allowing people who are audited to continue the donations is ludicrious.

Let's be a little more sensible.

Originally posted by bigfish90210
    So are you saying that because CRA does an audit that the individual has broken the law?

Isn't an audit to confirm or ask for more information? I think you need to think that one through a bit. Why would they bother doing an audit? Why not just fine the person or drag them throught the courts?

Because CHT comes with a Tax Shelther ID they can easily identify every return that has used CHT.

Because of this, when they audit you it will typically be because they believe that by using CHT you have violated the tax laws.

That does not make you guilty, but that does mean you will have to defend yourself, and your interpretations of the laws. And the links I've provided show how well people have done with previous schemes like this.

But calling it a scam while they are allowing people who are audited to continue the donations is ludicrious.

Let's be a little more sensible.
    Show us some proof of people audited, who came away free and clear. I've yet to see anyone I know from last year, who invested in CHT, get audited.

This doesn't mean it isn't going to happen, it just means it hasn't happened yet, and still may.

I've provided links above to show how people in similar schemes were audited and forced to pay back. I've also provided a CCRA article detailing this scam.

Please provide us some evidence, from a reputable source, to show the legitemecy of your method. I know I have provided reputable evidence already, before talking about being "sensible" perhaps you should provide some of your own?

Even with rev can's recent update I wouldn't get too worried. The people who are getting audited just have make sure they can prove the donation.

If you go here http://www.canadian-humanitarian-trust.blogspot.com you will see its actually well protected. The main site is pass protected. That blog has all the info.

Until you hear that people are being fined (meaning that it's been stopped by cra), I think it's a good donation.

My Ride
    2006 F-150 FX4 Off Road

You've got it wrong Bigfish. When CRA reassess they simply reverse the deduction and you are asked to repay the money (refund) plus interest. If you want to fight it then the onus of proof falls on the taxpayer and he/she must file an appeal with the Tax Court, an expensive and time consuming proposition. You are listening to the hype from the promoter. I agree with Trevor, show me where a taxpayer has successfully appealed a reassessment.

For your information, I'm a tax accountant and I've encountered this before.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Not to mention that your 'donation' is often equivalent to a large chunk of people's annual pre-tax income, so when that gets deducted it looks incredibly fishy
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I am not sure what you are asking me? You want me to show you where someone got audited?

I do know a couple of people who have been audited and after showing them the required paperwork ...all was good.

Now you want me to show you that? (scratching head)...well that may be a bit difficult. Oh....I get it you want me to post their name and number...right .....

I think that blog tells you all.

My Ride
    2006 F-150 FX4 Off Road

"I am not sure what you are asking me? You want me to show you where someone got audited?" .... No, they're all getting audited.

"I do know a couple of people who have been audited and after showing them the required paperwork ...all was good." I don't believe you, prove it to me. If they successfully defended an audit then they should have no aversion to speaking to me about it. Yes, give me the names and contact info.

Listening to the "company's blog" means absolutely nothing .... it is all hype. Just because someone says that they did something doesn't mean it's true. Why don't you contact CRA and find out for yourself? All I can tell you is what I see going through the courts and what I hear from my discussions with auditors and other senior individuals at CRA. As a matter fo fact, CRA are publishing advertisements in local newspapers advising people to be wary of such schemes. I'm sure these ads have been runnning in your area. Check it out.

If you go here http://www.canadian-humanitarian-trust.blogspot.com you will see its actually well protected. The main site is pass protected. That blog has all the info.
    I was just trying to let people know where you can find more information on the topic...but thanks for the advice.

Default Canadian Humanitarian Trust - HUGE SCAM!!!

I realize these posts are fairly old but if anyone reading this is even considering having anything to do with the Canadian Humanitarian Trust - RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN! My senior parents donated to this giant scam starting in 2006, for 3 yrs.. The CRA granted this organization a registered charity designation. They have since revoked this and have now come to my parents after the fact and are demanding $70,000+ and refusing to even recognize the actual amount donated. My mother has since deceased and they are going back and auditing her over this. My father is nearly having a nervous break down. The vultures at CRA are calling him constantly harassing him even though he has lodged an appeal hoping they will atleast recognize the amount he donated. Supposedly the Humanitarian TF people have hired a law firm in Ontario to fight a few test cases in the East coast to try and change the law. I am trying to find the listing of these cases as I'm starting to doubt they actually exist.

The Canadian Tax Dept. or CRA is saying barely 3% of anything donated actually went to any 3rd World Country medication programs. Most of it was eaten by the admin. and the founder, Mr. Stephen Rosen, a Toronto Tax Attorney. I can't believe CRA allows this kind of crap to go on and then suddenly pulls out and victimizes people who thought they were being financially prudent and helping others at the same time. CRA should recognized they made a mistake and atleast allow people to deduct the actual amount donated. I went to a few of these fund raising dinners and saw there were a number of similar couples who likely are going through the same nightmare. It's my understanding that everyone who has ever used this as a donation is being audited and forced to repay and tax deductions claimed as a result of donations to this program.

If anyone you know gets invited to one of these free - BS dinners - do not go!!! They also tried to rename the organization (i believe) and then tried to start a RRSP/GIC type investment program. Well good luck. I don't wish this on anyone. God help us to get out of this mess.if anyone reading this is even considering having anything to do with the Canadian Humanitarian Trust - RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

I know this is an old post, but i gave a donation to CHT in 2006 and 2007 and was audited and assessed a huge tax bill by CRA. Everyone else who i know of that participated in this scheme ( or more properly scam) was audited and reassessed with interest and penalties by CRA. CRA would not even allow the original face value of my donation so not only was i out the original donation of $13,500.00, but i was then ordered to pay $27,000.00 in taxes and penalties by CRA. Beware!

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's sick that people fell for these get rich schemes for almost 7 years since I said it won't work, or will have future implications.

If you want to donate, donate to reputable organizations like Red Cross or United Way. Anyone claims you get more than your donation back is a scam. Just because CRA hasn't caught them doesn't mean they never will.

If it's too good to be true.....

I know this CHT thread is old but it remains very high in the Google search - and considering what is happening currently with CHT, I am amazed that there is so little internet chatter by angry and disheartened CHT donors and agents - so I want to keep this chat alive and hopefully be visible to the thousands of others who are "floating" out there feeling like they have been cut loose by the promoter WHI/Stephen Rosen.
    CHT donors and agents are now aware of the fact that after several years of reassessments/objections/WHI retaining Osler (litigation counsel)/WHI stating they remained committed to the "fight"/facts of program on "our side"/we're better and more honourable than the others etc etc that as of mid to late August a chunk of CHT donors (no specific year targeted) began receiving offers for their cash and waiver of some interest from CRA. Well, in slow response to this offer WHI sends out a lengthy, confusing, protect your arse, intentionally crafted 8pg memo to donors & agents that after looking at the current attitudes of the courts, the advice of Osler, the "no guarantee what we'll get if we go forward" disclaimer had the reader conclude that WHI was giving up, there were no more funds, the winds of courts were blowing against shelters and essentially that the CRA offer was a good one (i believe they said to some that it was generous - what a joke) and the donor should take it.
    I am stunned that there has not been an uprising of monumental proportions over this complete 180 by WHI. It must noted that Stephen Rosen is not alone in the funding and the pulling of strings. He is also not the only one with things to hide and/or to lose if the fight were to continue.
    Yes the litigation battle is lengthy and its costly but its doable despite the red herrings they will throw at us.
    There are individuals, from what i and others can tell from our years of keeping notes/going to events/online research/speaking with agents and many others donors that there are other individuals like Lenny Karmiol (also involved in the VIA Project - where i'm sure those donors will be forced to take the hit for their arrogance), James Ciancone - seems to have an interesting connection with Cyprus (just look online) and possibly made a chunk of money, David Franklin a brash lawyer who spoke loose and seems to have bailed, and i'm sure there are others.
    Read the memo carefully and slowly! Some of the clues seem to be right under our noses - why didn't they finish the valuation work and the transfer of title work??
    Who held the liens in CHT? Who benefitted the most?
    The charitable impact was real and has been confirmed by some of the distributing charities - but now, since this WHI (and others) team is now walking away from the fight - the donors need to ask themselves what is being protected or hidden by not moving forward with the fight?
    if it was just a matter of money then they could have written a different memo asking for money - but they didn't, and they don't talk or act like fighters. Why has there been almost zero communication from them in light of how serious the implications are?? no calls, no emails, no website updates - they have cut us loose!
    but the fight can continue - it is not hopeless, we just need to band together…and actually maybe its better for us that WHI is potentially bowing out as their interests do not align with ours!
    WAKE UP DONORS AND GET ACTIVE! Sitting back and taking the offer will not get you anywhere. Yes, CRA has had the clamp very tight for many years and any reprieve in the forum of an offer feels very good - don't be fooled. Other programs have received cash & waiver of interest offers.
    Even for the 07 & 08 program which was ultimately just a donation of cash - why are they not defending that program???
    Ask yourself, if CHT is in the tax court with test cases that purportedly represent the rest of us, then why did the offer get sent to the donors directly and not to litigation counsel representing the program and test cases???
    Ask questions, be vocal, be an advocate for yourself and the other donors and agents!
    Don't let a small group of individuals who have big personal interests to protect ruin it for you, who chose to participate in a registered program (by the CRA) that had real impact.
    you may think - why or how can i fight? well, what is the alternative? they are acknowledging cash regardless if you take the offer or not. if you sign the waiver/offer you kiss your ability to object away….and you will very quickly get a tax bill….can you pay it? why sign an offer that doesn't even outline what you owe?
    don't take the offer, object to the new reassessment and move forward - yes there's no guarantee of what can be achieved - BUT there was never a guarantee - that has not changed - the offer of cash and some interest may be enticing to some, but more can be achieved - we just need to smart about the fight.