Quantcast
Stupid insurance question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stupid insurance question

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Default Stupid insurance question

Most of you have probably seen the thread about my car burning, now I'm starting to deal with the insurance side of things, and I have a stupid question.

The car had comprehensive coverage. Does anybody know if this will cover a rental vehicle for a period of time, since my car is no longer driveable?

My spare car, old subaru, just will not run. I've tried everything I can think of, and I finally give up. A friend of mine suggested that perhaps my insurance company will cover a rental vehicle. My broker is presently closed, and even when they're open, I can never really talk to anybody, I just get machines, and when they call me back, I never get a straight answer, so maybe somebody here knows?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Hybrid

it all depends on your policy...
    give it a close read

it'll probably be under a "loss of use" clause

even then, you probably need their approval/authorization before you start going to rent a car
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I can't find a copy of my policy. I guess I only got it when I first signed the contract, and I've filed it away somewhere.
    I thought I got a copy at each renewal, but I guess all I got was fluff (I usually get about a 15 page booklet each renewal).

I know I'll need prior approval, but my broker is a flake, and my insurance company doesn't want to admit if they have to pay for something...
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Generally you will be covered for some kind of rental - however - you have to be careful.

Very often they will only cover up to a certain amount. (Or they will only cover you for X number of days WITH a maximum preset limit on the expenditure)

In other words, you could wind up renting a car, that you think you are covered for, but ultimately you wind up paying a great deal of money for it if you have it too long, or if the car you rent costs too much...because you exceed your limit. Don't be surprised if this limit can be reached in a weeks time...

You need to ask your broker what the limits are...good luck.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Well, I got my subaru running, _finally_, but if it breaks down, which it probably will, I'll be stuck renting a car.