Quantcast
Laser eye correction - feedback? - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser eye correction - feedback?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

If you're -1.0, I probably would not do surgery.

I'm -5.00 for both eyes and I may consider it down the road. But right now, contacts are perfectly fine.

My Ride

Originally posted by eblend

I had AST done at Mitchell myself in Jan of 2007, eyes been perfect since.

I did a lot of research before I went through the procedure, but I read that AST is better long term, but shittier in the beginning. With Lasik you can go back to work next day, ATS...take the weekend off, and the next few weeks at work will be hard with massive fonts ect, no driving and stuff like that.

My biggest pain came from the contact bandage they put on your eye as I never wore contacts and I think it shifted and started jabbing my eye, but that is removed on a Monday (surgery on Friday).

There is no pain when it is being done and you are wide awake...just the smell of burning flesh

Going to take my wife in for an analysis once I am back from my vacation, and have her done early next year as well with Mitchel

Sweet, thanks a bunch! gonna look into it in a few years when im done sait.

and how much does AST cost? lasik from what ive read is around $3500-$4000 price range.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

I did mine 4 years ago, best $4000 I've ever spent. I mine done at Western Laser Eye, felt very comfortable with the Dr. Best part was sitting in the waiting room without my glasses on and not being able to read the Danger Laser signs on the wall. 10min later I'm out of the surgery room and I can read the signs on the wall. I had no pain, just dry eyes. I was out riding my bike an hour later. I'd recommend anyone that wears glasses to have it done. Nothing better than waking up in the morning and realizing you didn't leave your contacts in overnight.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    Well, you can add me to the boat. I have an appointment to get measured up at my local office next week with plans of booking PRK at Gimbel in the next 1-2 months. I'm currently -3.0 in both eyes and this has been the only thing holding me back from being able to get into a career I've wanted for years.
    Stick and rudder pedals?

My Ride

I'm coming up on two years next week. Excellent vision. Has the AST process done at LASIK downtown.

Still have moderately dry eyes, although its usually not noticeable unless I am waking up, sitting next to a smoker or have air blowing in my eyes somehow.

Originally posted by revelations
    I'm coming up on two years next week. Excellent vision. Has the AST process done at LASIK downtown.

Still have moderately dry eyes, although its usually not noticeable unless I am waking up, sitting next to a smoker or have air blowing in my eyes somehow.
    I'm at the 1 year mark at the end of the month. I had LASEK done which isn't really supposed to cause dry eyes but unfortunately I have severe dry eye now. I use eye drops constantly and have punctal plugs and I'm on restasis but that hardly helps. Dr. Mitchell says there really isn't anything else he can do/suggest to help me right now other than follow up appointments with him every 6 months or so. Well, he told me to move out of Calgary but that's not really an option.

Anyway, I'm learning to deal with it and I hope over time it gets better or there's new drugs/procedures that will help. I don't really regret it, I can't change what's already done. I'm out of glasses and have pretty close to 20/20 (I think about 20/25 last check) but that's way better than before. I guess I should note I had a really unusual prescription prior (farsighted with high astigmatism) and the technology had recently become good enough to correct my eyes.

I would still recommend laser vision correction for most people but just be prepared for the small chance you could end up with severe dry eye after.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Did the custom wavefront at Lasik a month ago...no dry eyes or complications. 20/15 vision now...best money I have ever spent hands down.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I'm coming up to 2 years with LASIK surgery from dr Demong he was very helpful, I wasn't satisfied when it came to 6 months after. So he redid both my eyes and I can see way better. I was -6.5 and -6 with astigmatism in both eyes. I'd say my eyes get tired at night and I start seeing halos if it's been a long day.

I'd reccomend doing it to anyone that can do it. Mine was $5000 well worth it.

Just over 3 years since I did custom wavefront at LASIK MD downtown.

Also suffer from dry eyes, but lately it's been better after i started using the gel drops in morning at night (Systane Gel), and using Systane Balance about 4-5 times during the day while i'm at work on a computer.

Just wish I could get these covered by a prescription some how... costs start to add up after a while.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'm at about 3 years too.

I also have dry eyes sometimes. It isn't particularly uncomfortable, but it does cause some blurriness. I also think my eyes are not quite as good as they were after initially healing - but still totally acceptable.

Still very happy I did the procedure.

My Ride

This is something that I've been seriously considering for quite some time... My dad had it done YEARS ago by Gimbel, and his vision is still 20/15.

My only thing is the fear of the procedure itself... I'm one of those people that gets terribly nervous in almost any medical setting (doctors, dentists, etc...) and I'm worried about it being painful. I'm also worried about moving my eye accidentally during the surgery and messing everything up.

Are these legitimate fears, or am I just being silly?

My Ride
    2013 4Runner

Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
    This is something that I've been seriously considering for quite some time... My dad had it done YEARS ago by Gimbel, and his vision is still 20/15.

My only thing is the fear of the procedure itself... I'm one of those people that gets terribly nervous in almost any medical setting (doctors, dentists, etc...) and I'm worried about it being painful. I'm also worried about moving my eye accidentally during the surgery and messing everything up.

The only discomfort for me during the procedure was the thing that they use to keep your eyelids open. I didn't feel any pain, and the procedure only lasted less than 10 mins.

But the 45 min wait in the dark room after I was done wasn't fun, my eyes kept burning and watering like I got hot sauce in my eyes lol. But the next day i had perfect vision.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler

They actually put a suction thing on your eye ball to prevent it from moving. If you're afraid of the dentist then this will not be fun because not being able to reverse the procedure really weighs down on you. The actual cut and laser only takes less than 5 minutes.

Originally posted by G

They actually put a suction thing on your eye ball to prevent it from moving. If you're afraid of the dentist then this will not be fun because not being able to reverse the procedure really weighs down on you. The actual cut and laser only takes less than 5 minutes.
    The laser keeps tracking your eyeball too... if it moves too much and it can't deal with it then it just shuts down, no big deal. You can't blink because they are held open so that's one less thing to worry about. All you do is stare at a light and then it's oven in less than 30 seconds per eye.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 06:37 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    CBR 929

This might have been answered in the prev 17 pages but haven't read all of those yet.

What was your down time from work? I haven't had any consults or anything so don't know what type of procedure would be good for me but was curious.

I work in the medical profession, not very strenuous, dark room with computers.

[url]

My Ride

Originally posted by Rat Fink

I plan on keeping flying as my sacred hobby. I'm too stable where I am living to be moved around. My fiancé has a great career where she is at too. I wish the air force accepted surgery back when I was at the prime age for it and had nothing holding me in place. I plan on using my new eyes to try and get on the street and help people while putting the squeeze on crime.

They used to have a 6 month waiting period with the CPS and the RCMP. Also, do NOT volunteer for the OC spray test with laser eyes - its 10x as bad.

Originally posted by bignerd
    This might have been answered in the prev 17 pages but haven't read all of those yet.

What was your down time from work? I haven't had any consults or anything so don't know what type of procedure would be good for me but was curious.

I work in the medical profession, not very strenuous, dark room with computers.
    I took off a week, but thats cause I could - my wife went back to work after 3 days. Just bring lots of eye drops and youll be fine.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I did mine on a Thursday and was back Monday. My eyes had massive red spots on them that cleared up after a week or two.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 ... LastLast