Quantcast
Laser eye correction - feedback? - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Laser eye correction - feedback?

It's been over 3 years. My eyesight as of a couple months ago was 20/15 both eyes. My night vision improved from the surgery as I have less halos around light sources after the surgery compared to before. My optometrist said he can't even tell I had eye surgery (the PRK heals nicer than LASIK which can often leave flap scars). My reason for getting the surgery was for a career change but I really wish I would've done the surgery earlier in my life. I never ended up using the pain drops. I must be an odd ball in that I never felt the pain people said would come along with PRK.
    Rat Fink, do you mind posting what your script/eyes were like before the surgery? I've been considering PRK as well. Was 20/15 by design, or did it just "work out" that way. I'd really like better than 20/20 as I had 20/10 when I was a kid, but no longer, around -2.5 in both eyes now. Did they give you any information about how good your vision would be based on your particular eyes, ie was 20/15 expected in any way? I'll be happy with 20/20, but would like it to be better if possible in any way. Healing time for me is easy to manage, as is any potential pain.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

beyond optometrist here:

striving for 20/20 or better each eye (usually better with both eyes open) is typically the plan...depending on your age.

There are a lot of factors to take into account when deciding between PRK and traditional LASIK too. The healing process and predictability of the results can vary depending on what procedure is performed on you. There are certain considerations to take into account if you have a relatively low even prescription (say under -3.00 in both eyes) and if you're hitting close to your 40s or older.

In terms of the guarantee that LASIK offers. Typically they're looking for a significant shift in prescription to consider redoing the procedure. You're supposed to continue your routine eye exams (whether it's at LASIK MD or at your optometrist doesn't matter). I usually suggest it to people who have eyes that have not stabilized in the last 2-3 years but are still interested in getting the procedure done, otherwise it is entirely optional. You always have the option of getting your followups done at your own optometrist for any refractive procedures performed in Calgary as long as you let em know you have one you want to see for followups, that or get your optometrist to send in a consultation request (this is beneficial because it lets the surgeon know measurements and history of your eyes and the change in Rx over time) prior to seeing you.

There are also SEVERAL offices in Calgary that offer various versions of PRK and LASIK, each having it's own selling point. It's best to do your research or talk your doctor to get more details on what's available.

Have any other questions? Feel free to pm me.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I laugh at people who will spend $30,000+ on a car that they keep for 1-2 years but then turn around and say they should
    be able to get vision correction for $500 per eye. Priorities are outta wack...

It's not a ripoff at all man. Not even close to the same thing.
    Not sure where I made it look like I got cheap ass laser treatment, like a few posts seems to refer to. I did my assessment at Lasik MD, which was $2500 all in, but went with AST with Dr Mitchell for $3000, 12 years ago. I would not cheap out on the eyes. I was simply saying having to go every year for eye checkup just to keep your paid for protection active sounds like a way to get you to come in every year just to get more money out of you. Last time I went to get my eyes checked was 6 years ago now, as they request you come back 5 years later after the surgery (after the initial few month followup).

As someone mentioned, if your eyes are bad and have been getting worse perhaps it's worth it, but in my case it has been 12 years trouble free. At $150 up front per eye is $300 off the bat, and for 12 years of protection I would be out an extra $1380, so just have to see if it's worth it for you. I would be very careful reading through the fine text to see what it actually covers.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Rat Fink, do you mind posting what your script/eyes were like before the surgery? I've been considering PRK as well. Was 20/15 by design, or did it just "work out" that way. I'd really like better than 20/20 as I had 20/10 when I was a kid, but no longer, around -2.5 in both eyes now. Did they give you any information about how good your vision would be based on your particular eyes, ie was 20/15 expected in any way? I'll be happy with 20/20, but would like it to be better if possible in any way. Healing time for me is easy to manage, as is any potential pain.

I think better than 20/20 is by design, but not sure. Mine was better than 20/20 when I had mine done. I was doing some research before I decided on it and read that some military pilots get laser eye surgery just to get better vision, maybe the doctor mentioned it, don't recall, but if true, than probably by design. Get as good as possible, so when it goes down some, it's still damn good.

My Ride
    G37X

20/15 left 20/20 right $4900 later for me still healing procedure was 3 weeks ago. Loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Absolutely incorrect.

Being a cheap-ass, I went with LasikMD and opted to save $600 and go with their standard lasik treatment instead of the custom wavefront which also had a lifetime warranty. Now I regret it.

I thought my eyes were just dry, causing some blurriness, but when I tried my coworker's glasses this week I could see noticeably better. My right eye has absolutely regressed, and a bit in my left eye too. I 100% wish I spent that extra, as now I'm going to have to get the whole procedure redone in a couple of years.

Now, my prescription was NOT stable at the time, which is something they always recommend. So perhaps this contributed to the regression - I don't know. But take it from me - maybe not everyone needs the warranty, but some absolutely do.
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Not sure where I made it look like I got cheap ass laser treatment, like a few posts seems to refer to. I did my assessment at Lasik MD, which was $2500 all in, but went with AST with Dr Mitchell for $3000, 12 years ago. I would not cheap out on the eyes. I was simply saying having to go every year for eye checkup just to keep your paid for protection active sounds like a way to get you to come in every year just to get more money out of you. Last time I went to get my eyes checked was 6 years ago now, as they request you come back 5 years later after the surgery (after the initial few month followup).

As someone mentioned, if your eyes are bad and have been getting worse perhaps it's worth it, but in my case it has been 12 years trouble free. At $150 up front per eye is $300 off the bat, and for 12 years of protection I would be out an extra $1380, so just have to see if it's worth it for you. I would be very careful reading through the fine text to see what it actually covers.

The whole you don't need to get your eyes checked after thing is kinda misleading too. 6+ years is way too long to go without getting a routine checkup.

You still have nearsighted eyes, depending on your previous prescription you're still potentially having issues that only an eye exam will reveal. if you're a higher prescription, you have a higher chance of peripheral retinal changes (basically changes related to the retina stretching out in the periphery, or retinal tears) that can only be observed by a dilated fundus exam. In addition to that, things that can creep up on you like glaucoma, macular degeneration, or other retinal abnormalities can get missed entirely if you wait too long to get checked. I minimally see adults at least every 2 years, if there are signs of any of the previous conditions i'll see them much more frequently....this has nothing to do with what procedure you had to get rid of your glasses prescription - there's a whole lot more than your prescription that gets checked at these exams even if you have 20/20 or better vision. Even though you may be seeing 20/20+, there is almost always a tiny remaining prescription as well, I've had some patients who prefer to still get glasses to correct the remaining prescription even though they are 20/20 or better with both eyes open...or if you're creeping into your 40s...reading becomes another issue....

My Ride
    07 997TT

I’m going in Friday for the advanced lasik. $3500 or $3800 if I do the “lifetime” warranty. Prescription has not changed in long time but am getting Fkn old so wish I did it sooner as the whole in your 40’s you get near sighted thing will occur so I didn’t get as many years out of it as other who did it younger. Oh well. I’m just hoping it goes smooth

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post

Fair enough. I suppose it's an insurance coverage requirement like anything else. It's probably a 1-3% chance of actually needing the coverage but the odds are stacked like
    any other insurance, auto or otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I'm sorry this happened to you.
    That's pretty mean wow

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I got the advanced wavefront from LASIK about 5 years ago, but everytime I went back and complained about dry eyes "oh its just Calgary dryness", which is true to a point, but I also spend a lot of time on te West Coast where its not dry, and after 2 weeks, I still suffer from dryness.

Even here - I run about 40% at home for humidity year round and I have horrible dry eyes first thing AM - every am. I've tried the expensive saline drops and, now, just use saline contact lens solution (not cleaner, the stuff thats ultra pure) which works just as well.

My Ride
    G37X

I run a humidifier in my bedroom at night just as a precaution. But my eyes are much less dry than they were with contacts
    even though I had that Femto SBK done 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Quote Originally Posted by 997TT View Post
    I’m going in Friday for the advanced lasik. $3500 or $3800 if I do the “lifetime” warranty. Prescription has not changed in long time but am getting Fkn old so wish I did it sooner as the whole in your 40’s you get near sighted thing will occur so I didn’t get as many years out of it as other who did it younger. Oh well. I’m just hoping it goes smooth
    ask about monovision correction. It's something you can try with contacts prior to the surgery too...potentially keeping u out of reading glasses.

My Ride
    VAG products

Looking to get PRK done in Calg. I had a consult at Lasik MD a few months ago and I think I am going to pull the trigger.

I didn't want to start a new thread... so my question is, any good recommendations for new treatment places in Calgary that I should look into before I commit to Lasik MD?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    Looking to get PRK done in Calg. I had a consult at Lasik MD a few months ago and I think I am going to pull the trigger.

I didn't want to start a new thread... so my question is, any good recommendations for new treatment places in Calgary that I should look into before I commit to Lasik MD?
    I'm still perfectly happy with mine done at Lasik MD. I think its been 3 or 4 years now

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I had some non vision correction surgeries including some laser work done with Mitichell Eye Center and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.

I’m thinking of some kind of correction surgery for the new year as well.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    VAG products

^ Thanks for the input. I will check out Mitchell Eye Centre.

I honestly went to Lasik without thinking about other options until I really decided I was going to do it just recently. So i put in consultations for Clarity and Gimbel as well.

I also am curious on pricing, PRK at Lasik MD came to $3,880 total ( and I am not trying to cheap out lol. I realize this is for my vision)

Had Lasik done at Lasik MD in 2010. No issues, would recommend.

Although i think if i was doing it again, i would look deeper into the lens replacement surgery (can't remember the exact name now) instead of lasik/PRK.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Had Lasik done at Lasik MD in 2010. No issues, would recommend.

Although i think if i was doing it again, i would look deeper into the lens replacement surgery (can't remember the exact name now) instead of lasik/PRK.
    ICL. It's about double the cost.

I am probably going with Dr Al Ghoul, although he is more expensive.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    ICL. It's about double the cost.

I am probably going with Dr Al Ghoul, although he is more expensive.
    Because he's so dreamy. He was my guy for my keratoconus, although never needed the surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    VAG products

I put in a request for consultation at Mitchel/ Gimbel.

For those that have done PRK - any issues/ thoughts? Also what'd you do for time off work? I work in an office and stare at a computer most of the day. I was thinking Do it on a Weds/ Thurs and come back the following Tuesday

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 LastLast