Quantcast
Laser eye correction - feedback? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser eye correction - feedback?

Default Laser eye correction - feedback?

I've got evaluation appointments at 2 laser eye locations. I have heard good feedback about both places through word of mouth - Gimbel Eye Center (3 surgeons) and Mitchel Eye Center (one surgeon).

Gimbel does lasik, and mitchell offers lasik or lasek...obviously i'll go with who I feel more comfortable after the the evaluation (if i qualify).

Just wanted to get some feedback from members who have had lasik or lasek surgery and how they are doing with it. All + and - experiences please.

thank you,

My Ride
    97 4runner

Had it ten years ago .No problems so far .

Would I do it again .Yes

Just make sure the place has been around for a while .Thses places seem to merge and change names almost weekly .

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

id go with gimbel - i think hes been doing it the longest.

and eyesight is one thing you really shouldnt cheapen out on.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by ricosuave

and eyesight is one thing you really shouldnt cheapen out on.

both have a good reputation, so take the one you feel more comfortable with. There is a place doing it for $400/eye if you are interested, but I don't remember their name.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

pfbmgd, thanks for the feedback!

ricosuave, funny thing is - mitchell is more expensive then gimbel if your eyes are between -1 and -3...Mitchell does not charge by how bad your eyes are, gimbels prices go up as your eyes get worse.....Mitchells charges a flat rate which does end up cheaper for the higher myoptic clients.... gimbel also doesn't offer lasek, which (from my limited research) seems to have less risks for complications?

beyond members have it done by either? tx 4 the responses.
    Last edited by aznexec; 01-06-2005 at 11:11 PM.

is that - lasik md?

it seems a big shady (budget laser eye - with commercial website ie franchises)to me if so.... I got an info package but have decided to stay away.

Originally posted by Weapon_R

both have a good reputation, so take the one you feel more comfortable with. There is a place doing it for $400/eye if you are interested, but I don't remember their name.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

isn't it true that any lazer surgerry reduces ur night vision?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by eblend
    isn't it true that any lazer surgerry reduces ur night vision?
    Aw, beat me to it. I was gonna ask the same thing.

That's what I've heard, but I'd like to hear from people who've actually had it done
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

I went to Gimbel like 6 years ago, but didn't get it done. When fully dialated, my pupils are larger than the area corrected by the laser. This may have created night vision problems. I plan on getting the implantable contact lenses when I can afford it (they are like $3000/eye). Make sure you find a surgeon who has done at least 500+ surgeries of the type you want. This is widely regarded as being the learning curve for eye surgery.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Aw, beat me to it. I was gonna ask the same thing.

That's what I've heard, but I'd like to hear from people who've actually had it done

I've had it done.
    No night vision problems.

Did it with Dr. Peter Huang at Bow River Centre.

About 6-7 people in my extended family have gone to him, and they all love the guy. Highly recommended.

My Ride
    97 4runner

Had my surgery done by DR P Smith at the time he was head of Opthamology at Mississauga Hospital. I had a halo around bright lights for a few months .It went away and there are no problems . Definantly get a experienced sugeon .

My Ride
    N54B30O1

I had LASEK done by Dr. Mitchell in Sept 2002. Perfectly acceptable results IMO. Night vision was not impaired at all, but I attribute much of that to Mitchell recognizing my pupil size when exposed to light got exceptionally large and was outside the capabilities of LASIK. He said that 10 years ago they probably wouldn't have recognized it and I would have had the often-heard of problem of starbursts and halos at night. He had the best available equipment and I knew patients of his who had only good things to say. I am a satisfied customer.

Understand that your vision may not be perfect coming out of the surgery. Even 20/20 is not as good as you will have with glasses.
    Last edited by CokerRat; 12-16-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks coker rat.

lasek eh? so you had to go 2 times ....once per eye? did u miss time off work...any cornea hazing? how come u chose lasek over lasik?

i will let u guys know how my evaluations go and see if they correspond or differ.... will also let u know who i've chosen and why.

If you go to Gimbel Eye Centre, van Westenbrugge is highly recommended by several of my friends who have had it done. If you want Gimbel himself to do it, be prepared to pay a $500 premium per eye.

My Ride
    N54B30O1

Yep I went once for each eye, spaced about 3 weeks apart. One eye being clear while the other is totally blurry gives you a helluva headache so I used a patch over the healing eye.

Why LASEK -- in low-light conditions my pupils are too large to be done with LASIK. Had to go either LASEK or PRK. As I understood it, LASEK was much faster to heal since there is still a flap cut similar to LASIK, rather than totally ablating off the surface of the eye and waiting for the whole thing to heal (PRK).

I had the surgery done on Friday mornings each time, so really only missed work each day of surgery. The day of the surgery you have to put in drops every 15 minutes for the first few hours, so being at home is a good plan. The next day I was mildly uncomfortable and still had to apply drops fairly regularly. By Monday I was fine to go back to work. Too about 3 weeks to get the first eye to the point where I was comfortable losing vision in the other eye.

ALso my vision sharpened up quite well by about 3-4 weeks post-op but took another 6 months or so to get to its final sharpness. I was a little concerned with the results after a couple of months but I was quite happy with the final result.

CR, thanks cr for your feedback, it will definitely help me with what to expect if i go LASEK...

Went to my evaluation at Gimbel...they said my perscription was too bad in relation to the amount of cornea I had so the suggested implantable contact lenses ICL or PRK (they do not do lasek at gimbel). the ICL option was way to pricy for me so it left PRK as the option. My opinion of Gimbel center (from my evaluation) is that they have a great customer service and definitely know their stuff.

My next evaluation is with Mitchell, I'll be interested to see what their results yield.

From there I will make a choice between the 2. Both I hear are excellent facilities so it makes it easier not to go wrong.

ps CR, did you get the wavefront LASEK or regular LASEK? Was it suggested to you ?

Thanks

A co-worker went here:
    http://visionmed.ca/lvc/index.cfm?fu...howZyoptixPage

Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3000-3600 for both eyes, however he did 6 months of research into it and never found it to be much, much better than any of the solutions offered in Alberta.

My Ride
    93 Toyota Pickup

Whats the waiting period on getting into a place like this? I can fly out and have it done anytime, could I get an appointment locally to get it all checked out n make a suggestion ? then fly to Calg and get what I need done? I only need my left eye done..it's fucked :|
    Originally posted by Grogador
    Shoulda threw in a "no homo" somewhere... cuz... yeah...
    Originally posted by turbotrip
    seems like a recipe for rape
    toexistphoto.com

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well, the night vision problem is all the rage 4 years ago from seperate studies from Canada and Germnay. But oddly it has die down now. The fact remains that there's no sure way to test this. It's not like I can rip your eye out the socket and put on a machine and test it.

Here're some reference from Google:

http://www.canoe.ca/Health0007/17_vision.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2745035.stm
    http://www.surgicaleyes.org/Starbursting.htm
    http://www.myopia.org/bbclasersurgery.htm

Last but not least, Health Canada's recommendation:
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/m...laser_eye.html

So looks like these surgeries may prevent you to apply to jobs with visual requirments. So make sure you're not in one of those professions.

To me, cosmetic would be the stupidest reason to have this done. Unless my glasses are 3" thick or I'm close to legally blind, I wouldn't take chances with my eyes.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-03-2005 at 01:44 AM.

ex1z7, usually they place that does your evaluation should perform the surgery. if there are no qualified surgeons out there you may want to do everything in calgary. Book your evaluation, and have your surgery done here. Not sure what surgeons you have out in TB, but Gimbel and Mitchell are highly regarded in the proffession.

As for the night vision/halo problems and dry eyes, i've read the following:

All surgery - potential night vision issues. reduce this by new laser technology, better evaluations (pupil size limits), and wavefront technology.

LASIK has the risk of dry eyes and flap complications - cutting

LASEK (PRK but produce a flap) has less or no risk of dry eye. No Flap complications but potential hazing, which can be fought off by medication or further enhancement surgery.

All surgery has its risks, one has to make a personal choice if it's worth it... i'm legally blind without my glasses and play sports so it's a lifestyle choice for me.

My evaluation at Mitchell this week, later...

Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast